11 replies to this topic

#1 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors
  • Loc: WV, USA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Hello friends,

Alan Traino and I are splitting off this SWAP thread from the ASAE - Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo thread to keep things easier to follow. Please refer to/post here for all things SWAP.

Please join us for SWAP 2014! The 2nd annual Southwest Astrophotography Seminar will be held October 29-31 at the Tucson Convention Center. Watch for Registration to open soon.

While still early, it's time for both you and me to start preparing for Tucson 10/29-31 (BOO!), and ASAE on 11/1-2. We've already got an incredible lineup of speakers- drum roll please... You wanted science? We got science!

Scientific Imaging

Dr. Arne Henden- Director AAVSO

Mr. Tim Puckett- Director Puckett Worldwide Supernova Team

with more invitations still out...

Deep-Sky Imaging

Mr. Ken Crawford- Chairman of the Advanced Imaging Conference, Photoshop expert, and the recipient of over 30 APODs

Mr. Rogelio Bernal Andreo- PixInsight expert and recipient of 30 APODs

Mr. Richard Wright of Software Bisque- The Father of The OpenGL SuperBible, astro-imager, speaker, and best-selling author. Richard will cover the nuts and bolts of getting started in image acquisition

Probably me Warren Keller with an overview of image processing for beginners in several programs.

Solar System Imaging

Mr Alan Friedman- Solar artist extraordinaire, recipient of many SpaceWeather.com and APOD images

Mr. Christopher Go- Planetary imager extraordinaire. When we think of Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars shots that make our mouths water, we think Chris Go!

Mr. Robert Reeves
- Noted author, amateur astronomer, and one of the world's foremost High-Resolution Lunar imagers

Land/Skyscape Photography ala TWAN

We are the first major imaging conference to address this popular and gorgeous genre. Mr. Rogelio Bernal Andreo will teach us how to produce stunning APOD photographs like these-

http://www.deepskyco.../landscape.html

https://www.flickr.c...57635312137077/

https://www.flickr.c.../deepskycolors/

Not bad you say? Incredible we say! Thanks for your support and interest. Hope to see you in beautiful Tucson for Halloween!

#2 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hello all. I'd like to solicit some input from prospective attendees. What if anything are you hoping to see covered at SWAP that you don't see in the previous post? Thank you!

#3 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hmmmmmm
Got to think about that for awhile.
I just know that I am coming, and will try and be a sponge when I get there.

#4 dmdouglass

dmdouglass

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tempe, AZ

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

OK, inquiring minds want to know….

The link from “Registration” in the post above, takes you to the ASAE page, and yes, there is “some” reference to SWAP. The wording on “cost” issues is not clear, and sort of implies a $10 per day amount. I know that is not right, and is only meant to cover ASAE. But the point here, is that there is “little” to “no” information on SWAP.

The link to the “host” hotel, takes you to a page covering the 2013 dates. Is Inn Suites still the “host” hotel for 2014, and are special rates available, like last year.

And lastly, where is SWAP going to be held. The ASAE page makes it look like the SWAP conference is to be held at the Tucson Convention Center (same place as ASAE). Last year, SWAP was at the Inn Suites.

Surely these details have been worked out, with appropriate advance reservations. Can we get the web page updated with accurate information, and can you enlighten us here please.

Thank you in advance for your response.

#5 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Hello eager one(s), Glad you are excited! The goal of my last post was to get SWAP penned on your calendars, which hopefully you've done. Please forgive the silence since then. Alan the man Traino is in the process of establishing online registration, offering instant payment options in addition to mailing checks. Once this is ready, we'll announce open season! The 2014 SWAP web pages are not yet up.

David, the plan is to hold SWAP at the Hotel Tucson InnSuites Wednesday. This will be an informal day of Comrades in Arms sessions, facilitating round table brainstorming on the subjects of your choice. This might include hardware, software, or techniques. Feel free to begin suggesting topics.

Formal talks will indeed be done Thursday and Friday at the Convention Center.

That's all the news that's fit to print for now. More soon folks, and thanks for your interest!

#6 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:23 AM

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!!! We hope to see many of you in Tucson for SWAP -2014. Please join us!

SWAP - 2014

#7 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

Last Quarter! Only 3 more months to go gang. Get yourself registered for this great astro-imaging event. The sooner you REGISTER the sooner we can get you organized into Wednesday's 'Comrades In Arms' discussion topic sessions.

Please help us spread the word here on CN, and to your club and imaging friends and acquaintances about SWAP in Tucson over Halloween, followed by the Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo.

Rogelio Bernal Andreo, Christopher Go, Ken Crawford, Alan Friedman, and many more. Thanks, and hope to see you there!

#8 Smittty692k4

Smittty692k4

Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

So excited!! I feel kinda bad that the 30th is my wife's birthday..... But I think she will understand. Ill have Alan talk to her if need be. HAHA

#9 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

We have another distinguished speaker to add to the roster- Carl Hergenrother 'Target Asteroids! Astronomy lead for NASA's OSIRIS-REx Asteroid Sample Return Mission'. Enjoy, and get registered! Spread the word please- thanks!

http://science.nasa....ons/osiris-rex/

Edited by Warhen, 09 August 2014 - 04:06 PM.

#10 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

Wednesday's Comrades In Arms sessions held at the Hotel Tucson are shaping up nicely. Be sure to specify your desired topics for the C.I.A. sessions on the registration form! The session coordinator Dennis Conti will group us in moderated roundtables to chat about MaxIm DL, Paramounts, Remote Imaging, Guiding, etc. Get registered and make your topics known! Look forward to seeing our CN friends in Tucson for Halloween! In addition to AZ, NM, and TX, we have registrants coming from as far away as HI, WA, FL, GA, WA so far.

#11 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

The Daily Schedule for SWAP 2014 has been posted!

#12 Warhen

Warhen

Vendor (IP4AP)

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

Can you say Door prizes! Not that any passionate imager needs to have the pot sweetened, but here are a few more reasons to register for the SouthWest AstroPhotography Seminar NOW!-

DC3 Dreams   ACP personal Expert License   $1495.00

Optec  TCF-Lynx 2 inch Temp Comp Focuser  $850.00

Starlight Xpress  Lodestar X2  $650.00

SkyWatcher USA  Virtuoso Versatile Mount  $250.00

Astro-Physics  CCD Telecompressor  $165.00  Advanced Barlow  $250.00

Daystar Filters  UV/IR cut filter  $109.00  Battery Pack  $89.00

Join us!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics