9 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

It lives!

My ETX 90 was actually hitting the go-to's tonight. The past few days I have done a few drive trainings, and working on carefully leveling the tripod and the north/level of the ota. The targets were not centered, but were in the eyepiece with the Meade 26. I spent a lot of time with mars, m104, and M3. M104 was right at the edge is seeing, averted only, but m3 looked pretty bright. Mars at 200x was a but soft, but I could tell it was light on top - I guess that was the ice cap.

The scope was still rubber banding, but not too bad, about 1/4 fielding my 12mm eye piece, 100x. The tracking was a bit odd. Sometimes it would track fine, but other times it would not. Often after an adjustment, the scope would track good for 10 seconds or so, then the motors would change speed, and the object would quickly drift down or right... I am not sure what is causing this. Anyone have any idea?

Overall, a good evening with the scope. Better than most I have had with it.

#2 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have noticed that after I align my 125, and center the first object that if do a couple of quick "SYNC" commands within about 5-10 seconds my scope seems to track better. I have heard people say that you should'nt sync on solor systems objects. I guess the reason for this is because they will move against the background stars. This makes sense if you are moving between say the moon and the orion nebula for example.

#3 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

Humm... I'll have to go look for the SYNC command... LOL

Thanks for the tip!

#4 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

To sync: After centering the object press and hold the ENTER key for about 2 seconds. The display will read "PRESS ENTER TO SYNC". Press Enter again. This is for the 497 HBX don't know about others.

#5 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

I assume this is after a Go-to? and not the alignment?

So:

Go-to an object,
Find the object and Center.
Hold down "Enter" for 2 seconds or until Display reads Press Enter to Sync"
Press Enter.
Done?

Can I slew with the controller while it says "press enter to Sync"?

#6 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Correct, after the alignment, select the first object to view. then after it slews center it and sync it like I described. Second question NO have the object centered then sync. If it is still is not exactly centered slew at slow speed and sync again. Repeat until centered then sync.

#7 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Ok, Thanks!

The second part of my question was me thinking about the second part of my OP. After I center an object, the scope will track for a few moments, then take off in a different direction (usually down, but not always)... This movement did not feel like a slew, so much as it seemed the scope would decide to track a different direction, and at a different rate.

I'll try the SYNC and hopefully it will settle the scope down.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 PM

What generally helps with stuff like this? Not sync, but Calibrate Motors and Train Drives... ;)

#9 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

I did several drive trainings last weekend, but not a calibrate motors. Guess I better read up on that... :)

Thanks for the tip!

#10 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

After carefully calibrating the motors and training the drives (which I do weekly), I still notice some drift after 20-30 minutes. But syncing on the object seems to help considerably. Just my experiance.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics