RAPAS setup question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Let me ask a stupid question for AP owners. Assuming portable setup.

Let's say you setup your mount and align the mount with the RAPAS to get Polaris in the proper spot.

Now what do you do to start the mount up? Do you do you level the scope and hit resume from Park1 or should you do something different?

Thanks

#2 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have just loaded the mount in park 3, moved to park 1 and balanced it, made the RAPAS alignment, gone to a star where the tube is high and looking across the axis, trued up the pointing on it, and hit SYNC. And that was done!

-Rich

#3 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

Let me ask a stupid question for AP owners. Assuming portable setup.

Let's say you setup your mount and align the mount with the RAPAS to get Polaris in the proper spot.

Now what do you do to start the mount up? Do you do you level the scope and hit resume from Park1 or should you do something different?

Thanks

I plug in the battery. :)

My scope is loaded in Park 3 and my mount is set for "External". I have a GPS plugged in that gives me the time and location. When it has done its thing, the hand paddle will show the menu list. I then goto a star, SYNC, and enjoy the rest of the night.

Cheers,

Ron

#4 coz

coz

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

Sounds good Thanks

#5 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I should mention that the RAPAS is just a cool way to polar align a GEM and it doesn't do anything else.

I use my iPhone app to set the initial spot and will readjust as Polaris moves if I'm out for a long session.

Ron

#6 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

I should mention that the RAPAS is just a cool way to polar align a GEM and it doesn't do anything else.

I use my iPhone app to set the initial spot and will readjust as Polaris moves if I'm out for a long session.

Ron

What?!? Polaris should never move from where it is supposed to be at the current time as calculated by the RAPAS utility or app. Either the mount is NOT polar aligned or the RAPAS is not aligned with the polar axis of the mount or possibly both if it does!

#7 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

Ron

What?!? Polaris should never move from where it is supposed to be at the current time as calculated by the RAPAS utility or app. Either the mount is NOT polar aligned or the RAPAS is not aligned with the polar axis of the mount or possibly both if it does!

Sorry - I didn't make myself clear in the reply. I have not done a drift alignment with my RAPAS, so I check to see if Polaris is still circling around the RAPAS ring.

So far, it looks like my basic alignment is good.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ron

#8 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Do a drift alignment with your RAPAS. It is worth every second spent doing it.

-Rich

#9 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Mariner 2

• Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Because I'm always portable I find it much easier to set up in Park 1 as I can measure accurately how level everything is. That puts my initial goto well within my finder, then I center in the finder do a recal and I seem to be OK from then on. I found it harder to measure how level everything was using park 3.
Rgrds-Ross

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics