Photo

How large does your relector have to be to....

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

For most objects in the NGC list in a 12", you should be able to spot them if they are in the field of view. From personal experience, if you can't find it, it's because you're looking at the wrong place.

My philosophy is :"it will be much easier to find objects that are well within the reach of a big scope,as opposed to straining to see objects at the limit of a small scope".

#27 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

I have not failed to find any "real" NGC object I have sought with the 12.5".
The non-existent ones I've expunged from my viewing list.
I observe, typically, at high altitude, under NELM 6.8+ skies, and occasionally at sites with even darker skies. "Challenge" objects I try to observe only when on/near the meridian. There are some of magnitude 15-16 in my log.
I've had a little more trouble with some UGC, PGC, and MCG galaxies, with quite a few NF (Not Found) markings.
When a catalog lists the magnitude as fainter than 15, look at the size. I find that if it's under 1' in size, it's often a lot easier than the 2-3' size at magnitude 14.
Note that there is a difference between "detect" and "observe". Some of the NGC objects are quite faint. And some of the UGC, PGC, MCG and ESO galaxies are easy enough you wonder why they aren't in the NGC.

For a list of the brighter 23,000 galaxies, see the 3rd Reference Catalogue (RC3) of Vaucouleurs, list downloadable from the web. That'll keep you busy for a few weeks.

#28 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

under dark sky conditions

I was careful to report that my observations were from my back yard and I live in Central Austin.

I encouraged the OP to seek dark skies if he wanted to be successful.

Sounds like we were in general agreement.

#29 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

[quote name="George N"] An avid observer friend of mine who is an MD (owns a 22" Dob, several AP refractors, etc) told me: it's not matter of 'if', it's just a matter of 'when' your eye lenses start to cloud up. His suggestion: go outside the USA to get eye lens implants that are not coated with UV filters (required in the US), but then you'll need to wear UV filtered glasses whenever going outside to prevent damage to your retina. [quote]
I have an implant lens in my left eye. I can see into the ultraviolet a bit with it. If there's a UV filter coating on it, it still allows some UV through. And it was done here, in the US.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics