8 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Coastal Texas.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Howdy Gang-

Anyone here use the Meade Electric Focuser for their ETX? I see a lot of these on Ebay for under $40. Focusing this scope drives me batty. I am currently using the "cloths pin" method, but even that is not very useful at 200x.

Any experience?

#2 d33d0gg

d33d0gg

Lift Off

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

I have one, and I really like it. Way better than using the manual.

The coiled cord sometimes causes me issues during slews. All in all, I would recommend it.

#3 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

These have a handset with a battery or they can be controlled by the Autostar from the Aux port on the base. The microprocessor is housed with the motor. The hand set is fairly dumb, but may be easier to follow the scope's movement with.
  • russty55 likes this

#4 rscofield

rscofield

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue ,Nebraska

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

If you have a new ETX 90MAK forget buying the Meade focuser, it will not fit the current scope. I don't understand why Meade changed the configuration but they did. The user manual still shows it as an option but trust me it won't fit. I can't find a mass produced focuser for my ETX 90MAK. 

#5 justfred

justfred

Vostok 1

• Loc: Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

I have one for my old ETX90RA. Works really well. Remember to disconnect the battery after the nights viewing. You will have a dead battery the next time otherwise. You will need the provided hex key to detach it if you find yourself battery-less on a dark and clear night. I don't remember if the same size hex key is used to reattach the manual knob again.   I keep everything needed for a quick focuser-ectomy in a plastic sandwich bag in my kit. Also, put a small Velcro patch on the back of the controller to keep it from hanging while moving in RA.

Fred

#6 elwaine

elwaine

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Jupiter

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:43 PM

I was going to buy a Meade ETX focuser on eBay, but went with JMI's motofocus instead. The JMI product is expensive, but you get what you pay for (if you're lucky).  

The JMI fits the ETX 90, the 105, and the 125 (which is what I have). It has a 3 position switch: fast focus, slow focus, and extra slow focus. The latter two are dual mode. They start slow (or extra slow), but if you keep the button depressed, after a short while the motor kicks into the fast focus mode. It's a pleasure to use and it achieves perfect focus in a snap. There is no need to disconnect the power cord when not in use.

#7 rscofield

rscofield

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bellevue ,Nebraska

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

The JMI MotoFocuse will NOT fit the new ETX90 MAK 

#8 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

These 90/105 focusers were discontinued and surplused by Meade for $35. They were originally over $100. As is mentioned above they fit only the US made ETX90/105s and the the DSX models, although I've adapted them to the 125. The ETX/DSX 90MAK is a Chinese made scope of completely different design. 

#9 highertheflyer

highertheflyer

Viking 1

• Loc: Aledo, Texas

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:40 PM

I have one for my old ETX90RA. Works really well. Remember to disconnect the battery after the nights viewing. You will have a dead battery the next time otherwise. You will need the provided hex key to detach it if you find yourself battery-less on a dark and clear night. I don't remember if the same size hex key is used to reattach the manual knob again.   I keep everything needed for a quick focuser-ectomy in a plastic sandwich bag in my kit. Also, put a small Velcro patch on the back of the controller to keep it from hanging while moving in RA.

Fred

Fred, you are spot on with the dead battery issue and really out of luck if you end up at the observing site with a no good 9 volt battery!

I went through a few batteries before I began to remove them when not observing.  And even went to the effort of disassembling the handbox to understand why the battery would leak down.  Yet I could not establish a means by which the battery would discharge while sitting idle for a few days.  Seems the push button switches were only active when the buttons were pressed and activating the focus motor, with no other circuit path available.....

I'm still perplexed and wonder if you could understand the idle circuit leakage pathway..

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics