Convince me on an 8" portaball

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

As a visual only telescope, the Portaball is all around excellent telescope. Its optics are the best, and it is easy to set up, and fun to use. You twist the finder to find the object and in the same movement place the eyepiece exactly where you want it. I have owned a 20 and 18 inch Obsession, a C8 and numerous other telescopes. I sold them all. The 12.5 inch Portaball is my life keeper.

#27 rdrane

rdrane

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

If you have the patience for old fashioned star hopping using a Rigel finder, I would get it. I have the 12.5 and would buy the 8 if I only had the funds. What may cloud your case is you have a 10. But if you are looking to travel, there's no question about getting the 8 over the refractor. For me, even the larger 12.5 is still much more travel friendly than packing a high quality APO with complete mount set-up.

#28 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cumbria, England 54.5ºN 2.5ºW

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:30 AM

well the thing is, the atmosphere doesn't equalize the differences in wavefront ratings of an optical train.

the atmosphere will effect an lesser ~rating system more than a higher ~rating system.

so a CZ primary with a matching secondary will be able to cut thru the sky better than a lesser system.

For some reason, even though that seems completely logical, I've never thought of it like that before. Good point.

As for how often do these come up.....first time I've ever seen one for sale I think and old-fashioned star hopping; love it. I have an ZEQ25 and really only use it for its tracking ability rather than its ability to find stuff. I

Anyway, did the deal last night, and will get hold of it in a couple of weeks when the vendor passes close by on the way to Scotland. Can't wait!

#29 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 25 April 2014 - 03:25 AM

Well, for me anyway, I don't really do happy....just a bit less grumpy.

Have you discussed this with Dr. Phil.! :poke:
Sam :grin:

#30 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

The only doctor who could help me would be Doctor Who by taking me back in time and starting again...and hopefully involving Kylie Minogue somehow...that would cheer me up.

#31 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

The only doctor who could help me would be Doctor Who by taking me back in time and starting again...and hopefully involving Kylie Minogue somehow...that would cheer me up.

:grin:
Sam

#32 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Congrats Piers! I've never seen one of those come up for sale in the UK. I was eyeing that up myself in case you didn't go for it.

#33 121601

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

...Anyway, did the deal last night, and will get hold of it in a couple of weeks when the vendor passes close by on the way to Scotland. Can't wait!...

congrats! you won't regret it. for what it's worth, Roland
Christen does think highly of the portaballs. I'm glad I never sold mine (12.5). It's the kind of scope where you can arrive late in the night and still be ready to observe in 30 min. David Juckem also provides excellent support for old models.

#34 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:24 AM

Thanks both - I imagine it's going to join my TV85 in being a telescope I never want to be without.

Any tips on getting in touch with David Juckem? I've emailed a couple of times in the past year and heard nothing back. The model I've bought has three Teflon pads on the base ring rather than a ring of Teflon all around it like the new ones, so I'm wondering about 'upgrading' to one of those. I've also seen it said that having two base rings is a good idea for when you want to move the telescope about to save scratching the base by laying it on anything other than Teflon!

#35 121601

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Any tips on getting in touch with David Juckem? I've emailed a couple of times in the past year and heard nothing back.

Have you tried posting at the PortaBall Yahoo users group?

#36 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

We want to hear about 1st light....

:rules:

#37 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Well, you'll have to wait until at least May 10th, then add a bit on for the first clear night, then a few months for the skies to get truly dark again....and I'll post my thoughts!

Have you tried posting at the PortaBall Yahoo users group?

Ah - good idea. I didn't know there was such a thing but I'll go and have a look!

#38 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:56 PM

Piers

The only thing to really reconcile with a portable is that such things as digital setting circles, GoTo, DobDriver, ServoCat, etc. will not be in you future. On the other hand, if these are not issues - and they need not be!! - a PortaBall is wonderfull scope. Paired with a good equatorial platform it achieves a level of mechanical and functional elegance that is in many ways unsurpassed. As for Zambuto optics (which I now use, and have previously used Royce and Swayze, as well Mead and Orion ) with excellent seeing, thermal equilibrium and proper collimation they will shine. But there is absolutely no magic here - premium optics can't "decode" the scrambled optical information that poor seeing presents to them. As such, the bloated, obliterated diffraction pattern (for a given aperture) introduced by poor enough seeing renders the difference between outstanding and average Strehl ratios as essentially irrelevant. Polish however is another thing. Even with less than good enough seeing, a Zambuto optic should render better contrast on detail that is resolvable than a mass produced mirror will. The bottom line is that a PortaBall is a very fine instrument indeed. Wedded to the right owner, a beautiful relationship will surely emerge. Look forward to hearing how you like it!

Joe

#39 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the CZ mirror will kick the but of the Orion Optics in the sumerain...literally mop the floor with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because it was decreed by whom? Orion Optics makes excellent mirrors. Please refrain from debasing a manufacturer like that.

saying CZ is much better than OO is debasing them? lighten up. I've seen some pretty hideous examples from OO. I haven't seen any from CZ.

Kick the butt and mop the floor probably fits the bill for debasing.....

Or focusing.

Pete ;)

#40 Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lawng-eye-lind - New York, USA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

I've always lusted after a Portaball, and now one is available…

...would give me 8" of, hopefully, APO-like aperture, in a lightweight and relatively transportable unit; at least enough to drive into the Lake District, park up and carry it 100yds into a field.

Go for it.

As far as reaching David, phone is best. He is not good at returning calls or emails unfortunately, so don't bother leaving a message either. However, when he picks up the phone he will spend easily a half hour or more chatting with you and answering all your questions!

#41 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

The only thing to really reconcile with a portable is that such things as digital setting circles, GoTo, DobDriver, ServoCat, etc. will not be in you future.

Which I think is a positive. I've got a goto mount (ZEQ25) and a push-to (Argo Navis on a Porta II) but I rarely use them. I like the challenge!

#42 osbourne one-nil

osbourne one-nil

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

However, when he picks up the phone he will spend easily a half hour or more

I might call him from a friend's house then...might cost a few quid.

#43 jpcannavo

jpcannavo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ex NYCer, Now in Denver CO!

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

The only thing to really reconcile with a portable is that such things as digital setting circles, GoTo, DobDriver, ServoCat, etc. will not be in you future.

Which I think is a positive. I've got a goto mount (ZEQ25) and a push-to (Argo Navis on a Porta II) but I rarely use them. I like the challenge!

Chart in hand navigating a sea of stars! My preference as well, look forward to your first light!

Joe

#44 rdrane

rdrane

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

[/quote]I might call him from a friend's house then...might cost a few quid. [/quote]

Dave still actively posts on the PortaBall Yahoo forum. I recommend you joining it. BTW, the 18 inch is still scheduled to come out. Clear skies.

#45 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

"Convince me on an 8" portaball"

DO IT!!!!

seriously, sell the 6" SCT. Sell the 10" closet dweller and get the 8". It cools quickly enough (unlike the SCT) to use brief times of clarity and will give a lot more to see than either the 3" refractor or any 4-5" refractor could. I have a Discovery (from California) 8" Dob and set up next to my TV101, the difference is not even close. The 8" consistently shows more detail unless the collimation is off or it is not cooled enough. I added an electric fan that solved the cooling problem.

#46 nevy

nevy

Viking 1

• Loc: UK

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

"Convince me on an 8" portaball"

DO IT!!!!

seriously, sell the 6" SCT. Sell the 10" closet dweller and get the 8". It cools quickly enough (unlike the SCT) to use brief times of clarity and will give a lot more to see than either the 3" refractor or any 4-5" refractor could. I have a Discovery (from California) 8" Dob and set up next to my TV101, the difference is not even close. The 8" consistently shows more detail unless the collimation is off or it is not cooled enough. I added an electric fan that solved the cooling problem.

Ha ha closet dweller ,I like it :lol:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics