Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

#276 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Germany, NRW

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

Hello Joe

i was fiddeling around with different pl2303 Adapters

With no luck connecting to my Synscan Hand controller

Until i bought the ATEN uc232a. It did work rightaway.

#277 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

Anat,

I've been away from most things astro for a couple of years now due to work and things beyond my control.  Trying to find my way back.

So I have a couple of Pis laying around here after fooling with them for other projects.  Ran across these threads just a few days ago while Googling for some other Pi-related stuff and I'm absolutely floored by what you've done here.  Fantastic.

I've read (okay, skimmed, but read a lot) of these threads and it seems to me that the primary reason you're using an MK808 now rather than a Pi is for faster plate solving, correct?  At least initially I don't think I'll have a need for plate solving -- I just want a simple platform that will guide and control a DSLR.  My planned setup is to use a StarShoot guider or QHY5 guidescope and a GPUSB attached to an old Vixen DD-1 hand controller that has been modified to accept guider input, and use an old Vixen mount with dual-axis drives as my imaging platform for a Canon 450D and whatever lens/scope I decide to use.  This seems like a perfect wireless solution for that, if all I care about (for now) is autoguiding and DSLR control.  I may change later to move to another mount, but this is where I want to start for now (I'm still an imaging newbie).

That being said -- I gather that your iAstroHub image won't work specifically with the Pi.  Is that actually correct?  If so, can I simply build the packages manually on my Pi?  I don't mind doing that if it will work, but I don't want to waste a lot of time if it won't. If it won't work, I'll just buy a new device and do it the easy way, but since my initial requirements seem to be lower, and I have this hardware laying around... it seems a shame to not at least try/ask.

Sorry if you've answered this question somewhere before, but while I did see that you were suggesting the newer devices, and didn't mention the Pi as a supported device, I wanted to ask directly.  I still don't have a lot of spare time these days (though a lot more than I have had for some time now!) and since I'm planning to head to a star party in about six weeks or so where I'd like to run with this -- well, I'd at least like to have done a minimum amount of testing before I take it out there to try.

Thanks for your time.

Tony

Tony

I no longer use RPi for development. If you have limited time, it is best to use CX919. On RPi you will need to find a Wifi dongle which works in the AP mode. You will need to troubleshoot any unforeseen problem.

Best regards,

Anat

#278 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Craig,

Good to hear that you got the cable that works. It means that some PL2303 cables are not compatible with the hardware driver. 

Best regards,

Anat

Hi Anat,

I got my mk809iii this week and have iAstroHub up and running. I managed to get my SSAG and Canon T3 working.  I'm stuck trying to get my ZEQ25GT working with either SkySafari or Skychart. I've tried my PL2303 adapter and a Triplite Keyspan adapter and both are detected in the OS (I can see them in dmesg) but neither will allow me to control the mount. Is there some setup I'm missing? Is there anything I can try before buying another serial to usb adapter?

For the EQ6, can I use my EQMOD cable or do I need to do direct connect from the handset? I'll try that mount with the adapters tomorrow. 

Thanks

Joe

Joe

Please get the ATEN usb serial adapter. There are several variant of PL2303 chips. You should get the one that was tested to work. 

The serial cable must be connected to the hand controller.

Best regards,

Anat

#279 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

Anat,

Thanks for the reply.  I was just hoping to use what I had on hand here since I don't need plate solving initially.  I realize I'm a bit behind.  :-)

CS,

Tony

#280 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

New linguider version 2.11
With atik support!!
And other not specified fixes and improvements
  • anat likes this

#281 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

Has anyone tested lin_guider 2.11?

#282 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hello Anat,

Can de safely update to Linguider 2.11?

And how about the special Version for one axis Guiding?

#283 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Thanks for the update. You have to modify Linguider to make it work in iAstroHub. I need some time to test the new version and add in iAstroHub.

Anat

#284 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Guys, just compile it in a parallel directory and test it launching it by cli.

I Will do it tomorrow maybe , dont want to risk to screw up anything today as tonight it seems i wll have the privilege of a clear sky :)

Apart the atik support (that personally dont need) I cannot find clear explanation of what has been fixed or changed ... so, cant find a real reason to update

#285 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:04 AM

Anat,

I've order a CX919 device per your recommendation, though I'm still trying to hand-build one on my RPi running the latest Wheezy build without plate solving  It's taking a while.  :-/

Looking through this thread and the Finless threads I get the impression that this step in your readme

3.2) Download RKAndroidTools v1.35 and the Finless ROM from: http://www.freaktab....-1-6-Custom-ROM

3.3) Unzip the Finless ROM and follow the instruction to install the device driver.

doesn't apply to the CX919 device, and that I need to use a ROM for the CX919 rather than the MK808.  Am I wrong about that?  The last thing I want to do is brick a new device because I downloaded the wrong ROM onto it...

Thanks,

Tony

#286 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:32 PM

So I seem to have answered my own previous question in that there is a Finless CX919 ROM and I somehow missed that.  :-/

However, I'm still trying to build on RPi with updated Debian Wheezy and I'm stuck on lin_guider.  I've had several attempts fail to make, and exit with errors.

Anat's documentation suggests that this is the following order:

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libqt4-dev libftdi-dev fxload

sudo tar -xvf lin_guider-2.10.0.tar.bz2

cd lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/

sudo ./configure

sudo make

followed by

sudo dpkg -i firmware-ccd_1.1_all.deb to install the firmware.

However, the lin_guider page on Sourceforge suggests that the firmware needs to be installed *before* building

1. Install g++, make, binutils, etc. for building from sources.

Comment: I'm not actually doing this explicitly because it's already done

2. Install QT4 version >= 4.5 with its development packages (libqt4-dev).

3. Install libusb-1.0 with its development package.

4. Install fxload package.

5. Install libftdi with its development package (optionally, but recommended).

Comment: Steps 2-5 are covered by Anat's first line

6. Install firmwares from http://sourceforge.n...files/firmware/   (emphasis mine)

7. Unpack lin_guider-*.*.*.tar.bz2

8. Run ./build.sh in project root folder

Comment: I believe this is equivalent to doing a make -- am I wrong about that?

Now, I'm not a Linux expert (still learning!) but if there's a dependency on the firmware, would that cause the error/exit?  Or am I missing something more basic?

I'm going to try another clean runthrough today between projects (working on several things, but can pop in and issue commands as I'm passing by) and then try installing the firmware package first and see if that makes any difference.

I know most of you serious folks have moved on to MK808 or similar/newer/faster devices.  I do have a CX919 coming from Geekbuying via Amazon.com, but I'm traveling again this week and probably won't get it (or get an opportunity to do anything with it) before next weekend.  I would still like to see if I can get this running on RPi because I do have one application (Astrotrac) where I *don't* need astrometry or plate solving, but could use camera control only, and another application (one of my modded SP-DX mounts) where I don't have a go-to mount either but could use camera control and guiding (via a modded hand controller and appropriate cabling).

All input appreciated.  Thanks.

#287 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Anat,

I've order a CX919 device per your recommendation, though I'm still trying to hand-build one on my RPi running the latest Wheezy build without plate solving  It's taking a while.  :-/

Looking through this thread and the Finless threads I get the impression that this step in your readme

3.2) Download RKAndroidTools v1.35 and the Finless ROM from: http://www.freaktab....-1-6-Custom-ROM

3.3) Unzip the Finless ROM and follow the instruction to install the device driver.

doesn't apply to the CX919 device, and that I need to use a ROM for the CX919 rather than the MK808.  Am I wrong about that?  The last thing I want to do is brick a new device because I downloaded the wrong ROM onto it...

Thanks,

Tony

Please see the instruction on Page 5

http://www.cloudynig...-5#entry6073751

Best regards,

Anat

#288 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

So I seem to have answered my own previous question in that there is a Finless CX919 ROM and I somehow missed that.  :-/

However, I'm still trying to build on RPi with updated Debian Wheezy and I'm stuck on lin_guider.  I've had several attempts fail to make, and exit with errors.

Anat's documentation suggests that this is the following order:

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libqt4-dev libftdi-dev fxload

sudo tar -xvf lin_guider-2.10.0.tar.bz2

cd lin_guider_pack/lin_guider/

sudo ./configure

sudo make

followed by

sudo dpkg -i firmware-ccd_1.1_all.deb to install the firmware.

However, the lin_guider page on Sourceforge suggests that the firmware needs to be installed *before* building

1. Install g++, make, binutils, etc. for building from sources.

Comment: I'm not actually doing this explicitly because it's already done

2. Install QT4 version >= 4.5 with its development packages (libqt4-dev).

3. Install libusb-1.0 with its development package.

4. Install fxload package.

5. Install libftdi with its development package (optionally, but recommended).

Comment: Steps 2-5 are covered by Anat's first line

6. Install firmwares from http://sourceforge.n...files/firmware/   (emphasis mine)

7. Unpack lin_guider-*.*.*.tar.bz2

8. Run ./build.sh in project root folder

Comment: I believe this is equivalent to doing a make -- am I wrong about that?

Now, I'm not a Linux expert (still learning!) but if there's a dependency on the firmware, would that cause the error/exit?  Or am I missing something more basic?

I'm going to try another clean runthrough today between projects (working on several things, but can pop in and issue commands as I'm passing by) and then try installing the firmware package first and see if that makes any difference.

I know most of you serious folks have moved on to MK808 or similar/newer/faster devices.  I do have a CX919 coming from Geekbuying via Amazon.com, but I'm traveling again this week and probably won't get it (or get an opportunity to do anything with it) before next weekend.  I would still like to see if I can get this running on RPi because I do have one application (Astrotrac) where I *don't* need astrometry or plate solving, but could use camera control only, and another application (one of my modded SP-DX mounts) where I don't have a go-to mount either but could use camera control and guiding (via a modded hand controller and appropriate cabling).

All input appreciated.  Thanks.

You need to install some other dependencies (especially build utilities)  above the instruction for Linguider. 

You can install the firmware before or after Linguider.

Best regards,

Anat

#289 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

Anat,

Thanks.  I had already installed the build utilities, gcc, g++, and everything else in your document that had preceded lin_guider.  I had, in fact, followed your build document in order, as closely as possible, with the exceptions of the first few steps.  I basically started at step 7 (well, step 5, to be fair, since I did download and apply updates first).  I did have to wget some of the tarballs, but no big deal... So, from that perspective, I had already installed all the build utilities, gcc. etc.  gphoto seemed to install fine -- it just took a long time.  lin_guider blew up every time I tried to install it, and never in the same place, and never with the same error.

I'm just too rushed and have too much going on to devote a lot of time to it right now.  I'm hoping that the CX-919 arrives soon and that it goes smoothly.  If not, I can always use Backyard EOS for camera control (which is what I use now) and wait until after the star party to get all of that going (though it would be a shame to wait that long, as it's a great opportunity under very dark skies).

As a separate question -- any plans to support Shoestring's FCUSB for focus control?  I use GPUSB and FCUSB today, and I'm sure there are others who could use support for this.  Anything we can do to help?

Thanks,

Tony

#290 twhite

twhite

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:06 PM

Anat,

Thanks,

Tony

Please see the instruction on Page 5

http://www.cloudynig...-5#entry6073751

Best regards,

Anat

I assume you mean the instructions for the MK809iii?  I hate to keep asking, but I don't want to end up with a dead new device.  Thanks.  :-)

#291 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

Tony

The instruction for MK809iii is the one for CX919.

For compilation on RPi, you may google for the cause of error messages or post the error messages here :)

I want to add more focuser support. I will definitely need your help for testing and debugging. Before that, I want to finish the next release which supports
- SBIG cameras
- manual focusing tool for CCD
- single axis guiding
- FTDI shutter release cable

Best regards,
Anat

#292 colgs3b

colgs3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:48 PM

Tony,

I successfully compiled iAstroHub components on my BeagleBone Black.  It takes a while since the hardware isn't quite the same, but it is doable.  I use the GPIO pins to control my Celestron Advanced-VX and a Logitech webcam for auto guiding.  I chose the BBB because I could wire up the GPIO and a webcam, but I am now thinking of upgrading my guide camera.

Anat,

Do you use your QHY5L-II-Color for guiding?  I see various threads recommending the Mono over the Color.  The Color is cheaper and can be potentially used for more things.

Jeff

#293 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

Hi Jeff,

I am using the QHY5L-IIc for Guiding and i always find a Guidestar. Most

oft the time with 1sec.  Shutterspeed. I also chose this cam because oft the 

price and the wider use e.g. doing planets.

The mono Version has a bit More efficiency, but not worth it. My 2 cents.

• colgs3b likes this

#294 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

OK

I had to wait quite a few days to see any stars again.

Yesteday most of the clouds went away so I could

give the system a try.

Here is a link to a testshot on Vega:

http://www.astrobin.com/119184/

The Rest is in the description of the picture.

#295 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:16 PM

Tony,

I successfully compiled iAstroHub components on my BeagleBone Black.  It takes a while since the hardware isn't quite the same, but it is doable.  I use the GPIO pins to control my Celestron Advanced-VX and a Logitech webcam for auto guiding.  I chose the BBB because I could wire up the GPIO and a webcam, but I am now thinking of upgrading my guide camera.

Anat,

Do you use your QHY5L-II-Color for guiding?  I see various threads recommending the Mono over the Color.  The Color is cheaper and can be potentially used for more things.

Jeff

Jeff 

I mainly use QHY6 for autoguiding and QHY5lii-c for planetary imaging. I also use QHY5lii-c for testing Linguider.

Anat

#296 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

OK

I had to wait quite a few days to see any stars again.

Yesteday most of the clouds went away so I could

give the system a try.

Here is a link to a testshot on Vega:

http://www.astrobin.com/119184/

The Rest is in the description of the picture.

Thanks for sharing.  What is the equipment used for imaging?

Best regards,

Anat

#297 Soncebos

Soncebos

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

Aw

sorry forgot to write down which equpment i use.

Kamera is a Canon EOS 1000Da @ a Newton 150/750 with a MPCC form Baader as a Koma corrector.

Mount was a Skywatcher NEQ6Pro with Synscan. The system works fine for me now.

Yesterday I took another snapshot of M31 in the backyard which I will share if it is worth it.

#298 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

Good news. Dslrdashboard is now available on iOS. You can now use Liveview for focusing and adjust settings.

#299 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

Here is the link
http://dslrdashboard...le-for-ios-now/

#300 Corsaro2k

Corsaro2k

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hi Anat, i'm Manuel from Italy. Thank you for your incredible work. I am trying to install on a original MK808B and I had the same problem of user InZet. I flashed the image of MK808B and loading stops as in your screenshot in post # 102, but if I press ALT + F1 I can not access the login page so I can not make changes to enable the wifi. I have verified that the wifi chip is RK903 and I flashed the kernel Finless 2.1, replacing recovery.img with the mk808b kernel. For the image iAstrohub I used a sd card Sandisk 16 GB Class 10.
Do you have any idea on how I can resolve this situation?

Thank You very much

Manuel

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics