Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#351 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:43 AM

I agree, but after having seen also another unit on another power bank to have the same behaviour, i've decided to investigate.

I found this however:

http://servalpaul.bl...umption-of.html

Very interesting.

This weekend i hope i can test the exact same setup, but i will use a laptop instead of the mk. If it's a battery issue, i will run out of power again.

Will let you know

Thanks

#352 Rupuha

Rupuha

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

Hi

I have been running Iastrohub successfully on the Mk808b (great work Anat btw) and decided to try the CX919 (from geekbuying). I have hit a problem and wonder if anyone can help.

When I use the Finless RKandroid tool everything seems to work ok, but the device does not boot afterwards and no hdmi signal. I have tried several versions of finless and still nothing.

I can restore using the RKbatch tool v1.7 and the stock rom image.

I have looked at the forums and there does seem to be a problem with some cx919s.

Has anyone had similar problems and found a workaround? Or is there a way of loading IAH as a single image file using the RKbatch tool?

Thanks

I am working on a bootable SD image which does not need flashing the kernel. It works even with a bricked RK3188 device. Could you try the image for MK802iv (AP6210) in the following link? And let me know if linux boots properly.

https://plus.google....sts/P6TNn3sisa2

Anat

Hello Anat, I'm having the same issue with loading iastrohub software CX919 as djmarshall. I've tried the link you provided and ubuntu loaded without any problems.

#353 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:22 PM

RE: power consumption

I'd like to share what I had measured on MK808 (RK3066 based) and CX919 II (RK3188 based, the one I have is a full RK3188, not cost reduced RK3188T version.)

I used a digital ampere meter to perform the measurement.

Test condition: Android 4.3 and 4.4, using Antutu full test suite.

Supply voltage 5 Volt.

MK808, idle:650mA, CPU stress test: 1250 mA, graphics test: 2000mA

Note under the latter two, CPU and RAM chips generate tremendous amount of heat (beyond factory heatsink), I retrofit with big one with fan cooling.

2A is a big stretch on the power supply, power cable, and the USB-based power connector.

In brief, I would suggest stay away from this old design.

CX919 II: idle: 450mA, CPU stress test: 900mA, graphics test: 1350mA.

Note: CPU is much cooler (RK3188 is 28nm geometry.)  However, the build is too cheap even to include a real heatsink.

Suggest to use a large heatsink but active fan cooling may be avoided.  

Power supply is okayish as it is.

My suggestion: use a CX919 II, great benefit when compare with the old RK3066 based.

Note: iAstrohub under Linux may not be that stressing on the CPU at all.   I doubt any load is used on Graphics (Mali 400.)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#354 tango13

tango13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:15 AM

From what I see in my setup (MK808 with Linux and iAH, digital ampere meter), when I switch the whole system on (that is including voltage converters, LEDs and the MK808 but excluding any other thing like mount or Arduino), the current draw from the battery is around 250-280 mA and the MK808 is only slightly warm.

In this configuration my 17 Ah battery can last for days :)

Ciao,

Piero

#355 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hi all

thanks for your answers.

As I already said, it's unlikely that the mk808b in a perfect world be the reason for the power drain on the battery (88ah hybrid marine)

Yesterday i've verfiied my battery is fine. Replicated my setup indoor (5-6 degrees higher temp than on field last time) and used a dell battlefield 300 euro laptop. Overcharged it, disabled power management constraints.

Attached also mount (launched sideral mode and let it run), guide camera and some other usb devices (put some music and an avi to loop in background from usb disk). 6 hours laters i stopped watching films on my tv by notebook hdmi (notebook screen in use most also) and went to sleep.

No problems. Battery still at 12,4, not bad ... i knew it, i had to attach my fridge too!!

This evening i will retry with the mk instead, i'm almost convinced the issue is elsewhere, i just have to find it.

#356 ggkids

ggkids

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Perugia

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:43 AM

Hi all

thanks for your answers.

As I already said, it's unlikely that the mk808b in a perfect world be the reason for the power drain on the battery (88ah hybrid marine)

Yesterday i've verfiied my battery is fine. Replicated my setup indoor (5-6 degrees higher temp than on field last time) and used a dell battlefield 300 euro laptop. Overcharged it, disabled power management constraints.

Attached also mount (launched sideral mode and let it run), guide camera and some other usb devices (put some music and an avi to loop in background from usb disk). 6 hours laters i stopped watching films on my tv by notebook hdmi (notebook screen in use most also) and went to sleep.

No problems. Battery still at 12,4, not bad ... i knew it, i had to attach my fridge too!!

This evening i will retry with the mk instead, i'm almost convinced the issue is elsewhere, i just have to find it.

From an electric point of view if your 28A battery went down after an hour something consumes lot of energy...maybe there was a short circuit somewhere? If MK808B consumed that energy it would burn out after few seconds, so I suggest you ti discover where there is the problem.

#357 djmarshall

djmarshall

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:14 AM

Hi

I have been running Iastrohub successfully on the Mk808b (great work Anat btw) and decided to try the CX919 (from geekbuying). I have hit a problem and wonder if anyone can help.

When I use the Finless RKandroid tool everything seems to work ok, but the device does not boot afterwards and no hdmi signal. I have tried several versions of finless and still nothing.

I have looked at the forums and there does seem to be a problem with some cx919s.

Has anyone had similar problems and found a workaround? Or is there a way of loading IAH as a single image file using the RKbatch tool?

Thanks

I am working on a bootable SD image which does not need flashing the kernel. It works even with a bricked RK3188 device. Could you try the image for MK802iv (AP6210) in the following link? And let me know if linux boots properly.

https://plus.google....sts/P6TNn3sisa2

Anat

Hi Anat

Thanks for the link. Yes it works and recognises wifi. Seems stable. I have freed up the rest of the sd card memory and run apt-get update/upgrade without problem. A bootable sd image for iAH based on this would be great.

Regards

David

#358 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:41 AM

Checked yesterday, all is fine.

The only other reason  i can think of is that the battery charger i used that time has some kind of problem to charge this battery correctly.

However, my battery it's 88ah and went down in three hours. The 28ah power bank that went down in one hour belongs to a friends, and there i cannot guarantee that power source is fine, so  i will concentrate on my own setup. the fact all two batteries went down when connected to a mk808b could be a unfortunate cohincidence.

Will retry this evening in same conditions of yesterday's succesfull run, but adding the mk808b to the setup. I dont think there will be much difference, according to people's measurements i shouldnt see any difference.

Dont want to pollute this thread further, will let you know how it ends

#359 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hello Anat,

this is the output of ifconfig:

root@rk3066dev:~# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 98:3b:16:39:14:33 
          inet addr:10.0.0.1  Bcast:10.0.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::9a3b:16ff:fe39:1433/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:215 errors:0 dropped:22 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:26250 (26.2 KB)  TX bytes:29831 (29.8 KB)

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:e0:4c:53:44:58 
          inet6 addr: fe80::2e0:4cff:fe53:4458/64 Scope:Link
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:40 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:8956 (8.9 KB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1668 (1.6 KB)  TX bytes:1668 (1.6 KB)

lxcbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 3a:82:ef:50:90:c2 
          inet addr:10.0.3.1  Bcast:10.0.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::3882:efff:fe50:90c2/64 Scope:Link
          TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:5938 (5.9 KB)

mon.eth0  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-30-30-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00 
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

So now I only have to get the IP address from DHCP of route for the ETH1, right? How can I do it?

Thanks in advance!

G.

Please use this command

sudo dhclient -v eth1

Hi Anat,

how can I change the configurations files in order to get IP address at boot time also for eth1?

Thanks in advance,

G.

You can put 

sudo dhclient -v eth1

in /etc/rc.local before exit 0

or put

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

in /etc/network/interfaces

The latter one will make the device freeze for two minutes if the IP address is not assigned.

#360 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hello,

anybody has report on power consumption for the istrohub? I'm particularly interested in mk808b.

I use it connected to usbtocigarette lighter converter connected to a cigarette female plug attached to the battery.

More then often i'm on battery power, using a 88ah deep cycle battery. Last time i used it i astrohub, my battery ran out of juice after three hours of use.

Also plugged were my eq6 mount and guide camera (qhy6), powered trough a usb hub connected to the mk808b.

Not so much devices for a 88ah ...

I did not think at mk as the cause of the drain till the night i helped a friend to set up his new iastrohub on a new mk808b. He was using a power bank, about 28ah, and it ran out of juice while doing first tests in about 1 hours. Like me he had just a mount attached to battery and a guide camera attached to the mk808b (a qhy5)

We didnt even do platesolving, main duty is guide

Anbody has data on power drain and has extensively tried to run it on dc battery power?

The device draws about 0.5 - 1 amp.  This user's review also shows 0.5A

http://www.astronomy...292670-1-1.html

I would suspect the 12v to 5v adapter.

Anat

#361 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hello Anat, I'm having the same issue with loading iastrohub software CX919 as djmarshall. I've tried the link you provided and ubuntu loaded without any problems.

Many thanks. I will focus my development using the bootable image :)  

Best regards,

Anat

#362 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:54 AM

Hi Anat

Thanks for the link. Yes it works and recognises wifi. Seems stable. I have freed up the rest of the sd card memory and run apt-get update/upgrade without problem. A bootable sd image for iAH based on this would be great.

Regards

David

David

Thanks for confirming this. I am working on the image  :)

Best regards,

Anat

#363 mtroncoso

mtroncoso

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi Anat

Regards

David

David

Thanks for confirming this. I am working on the image   :)

Best regards,

Anat

Hi Anat

It seems that my Tronsmart CX 919 is bricked. I can boot from the sd image though. Looking forward to this bootable iAH sd image!

Best,

Manuel

#364 DetlefL

DetlefL

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:00 PM

Hi

Thanks

Hello,

same issue with my cx-919 (Tronsmart, one antenna version). First I thought it is bricked and bought another one, but same problem. I tried then to load FinlessRom for this device and it works but extreeeeemly slooooow! When I move the mouse, the cursor needs around five seconds to react.

I'll try the image for MK802iv anat provided.

Regards, Detlef

Edited by DetlefL, 17 November 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#365 DetlefL

DetlefL

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

Hi

Thanks

Hello,

same issue with my cx-919 (Tronsmart, one antenna version). First I thought it is bricked and bought another one, but same problem. I tried then to load FinlessRom for this device and it works but extreeeeemly slooooow! When I move the mouse, the cursor needs around five seconds to react.

I'll try the image for MK802iv anat provided.

Regards, Detlef

Result: Working fine with cx-919 I .

Detlef

#366 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

New image of IC1805

The whole system works wonderfully in around 2 hours, 5 mins each frame

get.jpg

Hope the new version could be ready soon ^_^

#367 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

Hi Anat,

I am back in this thread.

last weekend, I went out using iAstrohub for astrophotography. it is the first time I get some serious result from iAstrohub. I accumulate around 8 hours useful exposure in two nights. Here you can find one of the result. it works great.

Attached File  m78-horse-head.jpg   353.46KB   17 downloads

But I also have a problem with it. when my mount (AZEQ6) points east, it is perfect, but when my mount points west, only one axis works. Would you give me some hints why it perform like this?

Jason

Edited by Jason Lin, 25 November 2014 - 02:31 AM.

#368 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

Thanks for sharing nice images and reports.

Jason:

> when my mount (AZEQ6) points east, it is perfect, but when my mount points west, only one axis works. Would you give me some hints why it perform like this?

You need to recalibrate the autpguider after the meridian flip. 

Best regards,

Anat

#369 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:46 AM

Hi Anat,

Yes, i did it, but it still did not work. I think there maybe some other hidden issues. I went even further by re-boot the iAstrohub and also re-boot my mount, but it does not work either. 

the problem happens on continuous two night. In the first half session, it works fine, and in the second half session, when the target went west and my mount point west, one axis refused to work. I need to switch back to MDL for guiding, which still perfectly works.

Jason.

Thanks for sharing nice images and reports.

Jason:

> when my mount (AZEQ6) points east, it is perfect, but when my mount points west, only one axis works. Would you give me some hints why it perform like this?

You need to recalibrate the autpguider after the meridian flip. 

Best regards,

Anat

Edited by Jason Lin, 28 November 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#370 mtroncoso

mtroncoso

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:20 PM

Hi Anat

Regards

David

David

Thanks for confirming this. I am working on the image   :)

Best regards,

Anat

Hi Anat,

Any progress on the image?

Best regards,

Manuel

#371 Gilles30

Gilles30

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:37 AM

Hi all!

I've just found this very interresting thread. First of all, thanks to Anat and all other people who contribute to this project.

I've bought on geekbuying a Tronsmart cx919 in order to give a try... and avoid to bring my laptop during night !

No luck. Once I flash data found in this post : http://www.cloudynig...-5#entry6073751 (kernel, system and PicUntu), nothing happens. Screen stay black.

I try to put image provided by Iam Morisson (https://plus.google....sts/P6TNn3sisa2, version from linux-sdcard-rkm-mk802iv-new.img) into an SD card and then, device boot with Ubuntu.

I think I've done something wrong, but I don't know what ! Surely kernel or boot file is wrong for my device, but I'm lost. Which one may I choose ?

Thank for your help !

#372 Dave_D

Dave_D

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

sorry if it's been asked previously, but can i connect iastrohub to my vixen gp with eq5 synscan upgrade using an eqdir cable?

Edited by Dave_D, 11 December 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#373 ms1hdf

ms1hdf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

Hello,

I have a minix neo x5 Android box. From my investigation it should have a rk3066 with a rk903 wifi chip.

Any chance I can use the prebuild MK808B Image ?

Thanks and regards

Dennis

#374 ms1hdf

ms1hdf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I found out a little bit more about the hardware of the minix neo  x5:

CPU = ROCKCHIP RK3066 BNFV147 1304
WIFI&BT = RK903 T0D1002 1303
Wolfson's power management = WM8326G 2AAS5KR 00E
SOUND (REALTEK??) = ALC5631 CCG50G1 GC51D
NETWORK = SMSC 8720A
USB HUB = SMSC USX2064AEZG
FLASH X2= HYNIX H27UCG8T2ATR 252A M12JZF72AJ1
HEATSHINK = MIN 19MM^2, MAX 25MM^2, HOLES=39MM, HOLE ON 5,5MM AND 3MM

It would be awesome if it would be possibe to use the internal ethernet and usb hub as well.

#375 ms1hdf

ms1hdf

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 08:15 AM

Okay, not successful. I used Fineless 1.3 from this link which works fine:

http://www.freaktab....-1-3-custom-ROM

But when I replace the recovery.img with the MK808B Kernel from Post #101 the HDMI just stays black :-(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics