CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
446 replies to this topic

#426 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Yves,

Thanks for your update. Does gphoto2 2.5.6 also work? I don't have a DSLR to test it. Could you please try these steps?

sudo apt-get install subversion dh-autoreconf libusb-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libexif-dev libpopt-dev libfuse-dev mono-devel monodoc-base libmono-2.0.1 mono-gmcs python-pyrex libglib2.0-dev

sudo mkdir /home/pi/gphoto
cd /home/pi/gphoto

wget http://sourceforge.n...o2-2.5.6.tar.gz
tar xvf libgphoto2-2.5.6.tar.gz
cd libgphoto2-2.5.6/
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

wget http://sourceforge.n...o2-2.5.6.tar.gz
tar xvf gphoto2-2.5.6.tar.gz
cd gphoto2-2.5.6/
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

ldconfig

Thank you. 

Best regards,

Anat

#427 uvphoton

uvphoton

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Hi Anat,

Gphoto2 does not work in your distribution (micro sd card) with my 1100D. I got the error reported in the last post. That is why I compiled 2.5.4.

I also get the same error when I compile by myself 2.5.6 on a fresh distribution of Linux installed on the NAND. I have followed the same commands as you suggested in the post.

I have also tried via the old procedure you have recommended in iastrohub v1 (gphoto-suite, then change dir gphoto2 and libgphoto2 and do a autoreconf) and only gphoto 2.5.4 works.

I will try again in a more recent version of ubuntu, but I believe that it is a bug for some dslr (reported elsewhere, but I don't remember where). I have tried a patch but it does not work either.

By the way, a good thing could be also to add the group plugdev for the current user (sudo adduser linuxium plugdev). Without plugdev, you have to be in sudo mode for running gphoto. While it is not mandatory for the web interface, it could be interesting if your need to try gphoto2 in ssh mode for example without using sudo.

If I remember well, I have also to modify your dslr.php script and uncomment the first line pasted below:

//passthru("sudo ./dslr &");
passthru("echo dslr > startdslr");

All the best

Yves

#428 Ed S

Ed S

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'm happy to report that my CX919 is working now.  I haven't had a chance to hook anything up to it, but it connects to the router and my iPad is loading all of the iAstroHub pages.

I'm sure that I will have more questions, but things look good right now.

Thanks again for helping me out!

#429 Ed S

Ed S

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone know of (or would anyone be willing to make) some online video tutorials for iAstroHub? I have watched most of Anat's videos which are helpful, but since I'm generally new to astrophotography, there is only so much that I can learn without understanding the language. Alternatively, are there any plans for some more detailed documentation? If I actually knew how to use the software properly, I would be happy to help. I'm still happy to help proofread and check for accuracy.  I'm just curious if this has ever been planned or discussed.  I searched this thread for "tutorial", but only found one reference and that was to an older page and wasn't really a true IAH tutorial.

I'm loving this software and I'm committed to learning it because I think it's really going to pay off for me once I figure it all out.

Thanks!

#430 xb39

xb39

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 February 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hi Anat,

first of all, thanks again for your great work. I just upgraded from my mk808 containing iAstroHub Ver. 1 to the CX919 iAstroHub Ver. 2. I could´nt belive that it is so easy to "install" version 2 on the CX919: really just copy the image to microSD card and putting it into the CX919.

But now comes the "but": I´m not able to control my DSLR (Canon EOS 1100Da) using iAstroHub. However, controlling the DSLR by using qDSLRdashboard works very well. Controlling my QHY5L-II is also possible. I cross-check my configuration with my mk808 which works well.

Any suggestions why I´m not able to control my DSLR using CX919 and IAstroHub ver. 2?

Maybe some insteresting things regarding Star Adventurer. I ordered a DEC-axis controller for the DEC-L-Bracket (http://www.teleskop-...&kod=UniDrive60). The goal is to use iAstroHub for controlling all which would be a great all-in-one-solution and very mobile.

Many thanks in advance and best regards

Stefan

#431 giorgio_ne

giorgio_ne

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, England

Posted 02 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

Has anyone tried to install iAstroHub on a Raspberrypi 2?

#432 colgs3b

colgs3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

The SkySafari part of iAstroHub is easy to accomplish on RPi A/B/B+ because that is a simple TCP-to-serial connection. I have done this with a B+. I don't know if RPi would have enough "umph" to run the rest of the programs.

I have iAstroHub running on my BeagleBone Black.  Just finished compiling it all today but used many updated programs. After all of my hacking, most people will be better off just using the built kernels that Anat has provided on one of those stick computers.

My Logitech C300 webcam still works with Lin_guider, but I am having trouble with a new QHY5L-II-M. I have built Lin_guider 2.5.2 which is supposed to support it, but no dice yet. Back to hacking while it is below freezing outside.

#433 colgs3b

colgs3b

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Zionsville, IN

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:03 PM

My apologies giorgio_ne, I am a week behind the times.  The Raspberry Pi 2 looks a bit better than previous offerings.  The quad core should distribute the workload, and there is a minor speed bump compared to B/B+.  The 4 USB ports would eliminate a USB-hub, although one of the ports would be occupied by a wifi dongle.  Might be interesting to try.  I might even be able to adapt my GPIO auto guider interface (from BeagleBone Black) for it.

#434 DetlefL

DetlefL

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:30 AM

Hi,

using the Raspberry-2 would be a good chance to get a better support for the Linux kernel.

I tried the Raspberry 1B with kernel 3.12.32+ and all the trouble with the USB Drivers for the different USB-Serial Adapters are gone compared to 3.10 and 3.0.36+.

This is because the OTG driver was completly redesigned to fix a bug when retransmission takes place after biterrors on the line which causes the old driver to hangup after a while.

I tried to port the new driver to the 3.0.36+ environment but booting the different devices (cx-919) with a modified kernel seems actually not possible.

So I would highly appretiate if Raspberry-2 can be used. I already ordered one to give it a try.

Regards,

Detlef

#435 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:32 AM

To be honest, my heart was only on RK3188 or RK3188T based Google TV stick due to its price, self-containment, memory-rich (2G RAM and 8G eMMC flash), small form factor, low-power/low-heat, and has just the proper built-in peripheral devices (e.g., WiFi with AP capability).  <-- Of course it has its cons.

The new introduction on Raspberry Pi 2  indeed add a new twist in the game of H/W platform debate/race.

I would say the immediate pros are: also low-cost, standardized hardware, no eMMC flash but slower/but larger SD Card can be used, external stable/well-supported WiFi dongle can be used, and built-in IO port (say using them to drive DSLR shutter release for BULB, drive ST-4 guiding port, etc.) <-- Of course it has its cons.

I think a separate thread needs to be created for H/W related platform discussions.  This thread should be used for RK3066/RK3188 based Google TV stick, mainly software related discussions.

So anything old/new can be discussed there.  Say Intel x86-based TV stick, BeagleBone, Rasp Pi1, Pasp Pi 2, various flavors of Android Tablets, etc. can go there and have an open discussions with being worried buried deep in this RK3188 (or old RK3066) mainly software thread.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello 

Edited by ccs_hello, 06 February 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#436 pepe.lombris

pepe.lombris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi everbody,

I have been using iAstrohub V1 on my CX919 II. Do I understand correctly that V2 works on such device as well and that I could use the same image?

The CX919 II has an internal flash memory. Do I have to install the img direcly to the intrenal memory and do I have to use a microSD anyway?

Recently I came across a polar alignment script based on plate solving:

https://code.google....olar-alignment/

I have seen that this script has been mentioned earlier in this tgread as well. Would it make sense to integrate the script into a future version of iAstrohub? I think it could help a lot in precise polar alignment of travelling mounts like the astrotrac.

CS

Stephan

#437 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

Hi Anat,

first of all, thanks again for your great work. I just upgraded from my mk808 containing iAstroHub Ver. 1 to the CX919 iAstroHub Ver. 2. I could´nt belive that it is so easy to "install" version 2 on the CX919: really just copy the image to microSD card and putting it into the CX919.

But now comes the "but": I´m not able to control my DSLR (Canon EOS 1100Da) using iAstroHub. However, controlling the DSLR by using qDSLRdashboard works very well. Controlling my QHY5L-II is also possible. I cross-check my configuration with my mk808 which works well.

Any suggestions why I´m not able to control my DSLR using CX919 and IAstroHub ver. 2?

Maybe some insteresting things regarding Star Adventurer. I ordered a DEC-axis controller for the DEC-L-Bracket (http://www.teleskop-...&kod=UniDrive60). The goal is to use iAstroHub for controlling all which would be a great all-in-one-solution and very mobile.

Stefan

I had someone testing the new version and found that gphoto2 didn't work in the package. I am sorry for that since I no longer have DSLRs for testing. I am trying to update the new package very soon. 

Best regards,

Anat

#438 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

Has anyone tried to install iAstroHub on a Raspberrypi 2?

New RPi2 looks interesting. But I still have no time for it. But you can follow the "hard way" to build iAstroHub on it.

Best regards,

Anat

#439 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:00 AM

The SkySafari part of iAstroHub is easy to accomplish on RPi A/B/B+ because that is a simple TCP-to-serial connection. I have done this with a B+. I don't know if RPi would have enough "umph" to run the rest of the programs.

I have iAstroHub running on my BeagleBone Black.  Just finished compiling it all today but used many updated programs. After all of my hacking, most people will be better off just using the built kernels that Anat has provided on one of those stick computers.

My Logitech C300 webcam still works with Lin_guider, but I am having trouble with a new QHY5L-II-M. I have built Lin_guider 2.5.2 which is supposed to support it, but no dice yet. Back to hacking while it is below freezing outside.

Make sure the firmware for QHY is loaded properly when plugging in. If you run linguider from the console, you may need "sudo" because the group is not assigned yet. 

Best regards,

Anat

#440 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:13 AM

Hi everbody,

I have been using iAstrohub V1 on my CX919 II. Do I understand correctly that V2 works on such device as well and that I could use the same image?

The CX919 II has an internal flash memory. Do I have to install the img direcly to the intrenal memory and do I have to use a microSD anyway?

Recently I came across a polar alignment script based on plate solving:

https://code.google....olar-alignment/

I have seen that this script has been mentioned earlier in this tgread as well. Would it make sense to integrate the script into a future version of iAstrohub? I think it could help a lot in precise polar alignment of travelling mounts like the astrotrac.

CS

Stephan

Stephan,

CX919ii uses a different kernel than other popular RK3188t devices (MK802iv, CX919, MK809iii). Since I don;t have the device for development, you may need to try a hard way. The linux image for CX919ii is available at:

https://plus.google....sts/P6TNn3sisa2

Everything is inside the sd card. 

If you simply replace /home/pi/www with the new one, you can get almost 100% of the updated features. And replace /etc/rc.local as well. 

Best regards,

Anat

Edited by anat, 09 February 2015 - 04:15 AM.

#441 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:16 AM

To be honest, my heart was only on RK3188 or RK3188T based Google TV stick due to its price, self-containment, memory-rich (2G RAM and 8G eMMC flash), small form factor, low-power/low-heat, and has just the proper built-in peripheral devices (e.g., WiFi with AP capability).  <-- Of course it has its cons.

The new introduction on Raspberry Pi 2  indeed add a new twist in the game of H/W platform debate/race.

I would say the immediate pros are: also low-cost, standardized hardware, no eMMC flash but slower/but larger SD Card can be used, external stable/well-supported WiFi dongle can be used, and built-in IO port (say using them to drive DSLR shutter release for BULB, drive ST-4 guiding port, etc.) <-- Of course it has its cons.

I think a separate thread needs to be created for H/W related platform discussions.  This thread should be used for RK3066/RK3188 based Google TV stick, mainly software related discussions.

So anything old/new can be discussed there.  Say Intel x86-based TV stick, BeagleBone, Rasp Pi1, Pasp Pi 2, various flavors of Android Tablets, etc. can go there and have an open discussions with being worried buried deep in this RK3188 (or old RK3066) mainly software thread.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello 

You may discuss about RPi in

http://www.cloudynig...uidingdslrgoto/

Best regards,

Anat

#442 xb39

xb39

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:40 AM

Hi Anat,

Stefan

I had someone testing the new version and found that gphoto2 didn't work in the package. I am sorry for that since I no longer have DSLRs for testing. I am trying to update the new package very soon. 

Best regards,

Anat

Hi Anat,

thanks for the answer. Updating the new package would be great! :waytogo:

Stefan

#443 pepe.lombris

pepe.lombris

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:04 PM

Dear Anat,

thank you for clarifying the differences between CX919 and CX919 II. Somehow I thought it would work as the CX919 II worked with the earlier verison of iAstrohub.

I will try to install as you proposed and report back if it works. 

Which updated features do you expect not to work?

Thanks again for your help and best wishes

Stephan

#444 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:14 PM

Dear Anat,

thank you for clarifying the differences between CX919 and CX919 II. Somehow I thought it would work as the CX919 II worked with the earlier verison of iAstrohub.

I will try to install as you proposed and report back if it works. 

Which updated features do you expect not to work?

Thanks again for your help and best wishes

Stephan

The missing features would be 

- SBIG and QHY camera support
- Pentax camera support
- FTDI shutter cable  support 

If you can mount the new image file and transfer the root filesystem, the whole iAstroHub 2 should work with CX919ii. 

Best regards,

Anat

#445 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:09 PM

Could anyone try this script to see if the latest version of Gphoto2 and libgphoto2 works after installing a new libusb library? 

https://github.com/g...gphoto2-updater

https://github.com/g...oto2-updater.sh

This is the problem that holds my release of iAstroHub 2. I am sorry for the delay.

Best regards,

Anat

Edited by anat, 17 February 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#446 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:59 AM

I have tested the script. DO NOT update libusb. I finally get the latest gphoto2 working with 450D  using these steps:

cd /home/pi/
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gonzalo/gphoto2-updater/master/gphoto2-updater.sh
nano gphoto2-updater.sh
#/bin/sh

# Gphoto2 2.5.7 compiler and installer script v0.4.1
#
# This script is specifically created for Raspbian http://www.raspbian.org
# and Raspberry Pi http://www.raspberrypi.org but should work over any 
# Debian-based distribution

# Created and mantained by Gonzalo Cao Cabeza de Vaca
# Please send any feedback or comments to gonzalo.cao(at)gmail.com
# Updated for gPhoto2 2.5.1.1 by Peter Hinson
# Updated for gPhoto2 2.5.2 by Dmitri Popov
# Updated for gphoto2 2.5.5 by Mihai Doarna
# Updated for gphoto2 2.5.6 by Mathias Peter
# Updated for gphoto2 2.5.7 by Sijawusz Pur Rahnama

# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.

# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.

# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

if [ "$(whoami)" != "root" ]; then
	echo "Sorry, this script must be executed with sudo or as root"
	exit 1
fi

echo 
echo "----------------"
echo "Updating sources"
echo "----------------"
echo

apt-get update

echo 
echo "--------------------------"
echo "Removing gphoto2 if exists"
echo "--------------------------"
echo

apt-get remove -y gphoto2

echo 
echo "-----------------------"
echo "Installing dependencies"
echo "-----------------------"
echo

apt-get install -y libltdl-dev libusb-dev libexif-dev libpopt-dev libudev-dev

echo 
echo "-------------------------"
echo "Creating temporary folder"
echo

mkdir gphoto2-temp-folder
cd gphoto2-temp-folder

echo "gphoto2-temp-folder created"

echo 
echo "Downloading libusb 1.0.17"
echo

if wget -q http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libu/libusbx/libusbx_1.0.17.orig.tar.bz2
	then
		tar xjvf libusbx_1.0.17.orig.tar.bz2
		cd libusbx-1.0.17/
	else
		echo "Unable to get libusbx_1.0.17"
		echo "Cleaning and exiting..."
		exit 1
fi

echo 
echo "--------------------------------------"
echo "Compiling and installing libusb 1.0.17"
echo "--------------------------------------"

#./configure
#make
#make install
cd ..

echo 
echo "----------------------------"
echo "Downloading libgphoto2 2.5.7"
echo "----------------------------"
echo

if wget -q http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/gphoto/libgphoto/2.5.7/libgphoto2-2.5.7.tar.bz2
	then
		tar xjf libgphoto2-2.5.7.tar.bz2
		cd libgphoto2-2.5.7
	else
		echo "Unable to get libgphoto2-2.5.7"
		exit 1
fi

echo 
echo "-----------------------------------------"
echo "Compiling and installing libgphoto2 2.5.7"
echo "-----------------------------------------"
echo

./configure
make
make install
cd ..

echo 
echo "Downloading gphoto2 2.5.6"
echo

if wget -q http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/gphoto/gphoto/2.5.6/gphoto2-2.5.6.tar.gz
	then
		tar xzvf gphoto2-2.5.6.tar.gz
		cd gphoto2-2.5.6
	else
		echo "Unable to get gphoto2-2.5.6"
		exit 1
fi

echo 
echo "--------------------------------"
echo "Compiling and installing gphoto2"
echo "--------------------------------" 
echo

./configure
make
make install
cd ..

echo 
echo "-----------------"
echo "Linking libraries"
echo "-----------------"  
echo

ldconfig

echo
echo "---------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo "Generating udev rules, see http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html"
echo "---------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
echo

#udev_version=$(udevd --version)

#if   [ "$udev_version" -ge "201" ]
#then
#  udev_rules=201
#elif [ "$udev_version" -ge "175" ]
#then
#  udev_rules=175
#elif [ "$udev_version" -ge "136" ]
#then
#  udev_rules=136
#else
#  udev_rules=0.98
#fi

#/usr/local/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list udev-rules version $udev_rules group plugdev mode 0660 > /etc/udev/rules.d/90-libgphoto2.rules

#if   [ "$udev_rules" = "201" ]
#then
#  echo
#  echo "------------------------------------------------------------------------"
#  echo "Generating hwdb file in /etc/udev/hwdb.d/20-gphoto.hwdb. Ignore the NOTE"
#  echo "------------------------------------------------------------------------"
#  echo
#  /usr/local/lib/libgphoto2/print-camera-list hwdb > /etc/udev/hwdb.d/20-gphoto.hwdb
#fi

#echo 
#echo "-------------------"
#echo "Removing temp files"
#echo "-------------------"
#echo

cd ..
#rm -r gphoto2-temp-folder

echo 
echo "--------------------"
echo "Finished!! Enjoy it!"
echo "--------------------"
echo

gphoto2 --version

sh gphoto2-updater.sh

Edited by anat, 19 February 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#447 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Today, 04:06 AM

You can get the image file for CX919 with working gphoto2 (latest) now:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

I am sorry for the delay.

Best regards,

Anat

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics