CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#501 craigg

craigg

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:13 AM

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys manage power supply with your iAstrohub.

I am going to use a low profile setup. Only iAH, a Canon DSLR attached to an Astrotrac mount. I have a 12V battery or alternatively a 10Ah Powerbank.

The Powerbank would provide 12V for the mount and 5V for iAH. Would that be enough? Or would you go for a powered USB by as well?

In case I use the 12V battery I guess I need some sort of DCDC converter to have 5V for iAH. Is that right? Are there any 12V USB hubs you can recommend?

Thanks for all comments!

Clear skies
Stephan

Hi Stephen,

If you just have iAH and the DSLR connected, you should be fine with 12V.  I use a 12V USB connected (like those you might use in your car via the cigarette lighter socket) to iAH.  The DSLR has it's own battery so shouldn't need to draw much power from the iAH device.

I find that the single 5V USB is enough if just using the DSLR, but as soon as I add the QHY guide camera I need more power so I have a USB powered hub which also runs from the car USB adapter.  If you use end up using one of these, try to get one that provides at least 1 amp, preferably 1.5 or 2 amps.  Mine is a dual USB port providing 1.5 amps per port which works great.

Hope that helps,

Craig 

#502 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dalian, China

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:16 PM

Hi Anat,

I think the machine what you were working on, what you called AP6210, is not AP6210 at all.

I see the 8723 module in your CX919 image.

attachicon.gifIMG_2621.jpg

So I believe the net chip is RTL8723.

A big retailler (Shengzhen, China) told me that, the AP6210 CX919 is out of date and has already been replaced by RTL8723 for months.

So please recheck you device. And I will also try to install the image on a RTL8723 device.

Ecloud

The image file is for AP6210. The module may be in the image but it has not been tested for RTL8723..

Anat

The net work is not working on the real AP6210 device, and there is not kernel module for AP6210 at all.

So I believe it's RTL8723 what you thought was AP6210

#503 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm working on integrating lin_guider 3.1 to iAstroHub. And it's almost done, testing now.

Thanks for your effort in making  LG3.1 for iAstroHub.  What is the improvement over the previous version ? (beside more camera support) 

Anat

nothing else useful.

But the code is changed a lot from 2.10. So it took me several hours to modify the 3.1 code. I think there will be no major change in 3.x family, so the code could be useful when you patch the next 3.x release.

In 3.2 Rumen will fix the PI coefficients bug, so we will not need to check the Info UI for proportional value. We can easily set it as 0~1.

Also HFD will be more useful in 3.2.

So I suggest you to apply the patch to 3.2 (coming soon).

I will mail you the patch once the testing done.

#504 Daniel Oliva

Daniel Oliva

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'm working on integrating lin_guider 3.1 to iAstroHub. And it's almost done, testing now.

Thanks for your effort in making  LG3.1 for iAstroHub.  What is the improvement over the previous version ? (beside more camera support) 

Anat

nothing else useful.

But the code is changed a lot from 2.10. So it took me several hours to modify the 3.1 code. I think there will be no major change in 3.x family, so the code could be useful when you patch the next 3.x release.

In 3.2 Rumen will fix the PI coefficients bug, so we will not need to check the Info UI for proportional value. We can easily set it as 0~1.

Also HFD will be more useful in 3.2.

So I suggest you to apply the patch to 3.2 (coming soon).

I will mail you the patch once the testing done.

I made some changes on the main page scripts to make the lg3.1 work on RPi. Basically I used some old scripts left in the folder to control the mouse position and clicks. The sad part is that I lost the adjusts of gain and other value inputs for lg3.1. It would be great to use all resources.

Daniel

#505 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

The image files of iAstroHub 2.2 for MK808 and MK808B are ready. You can download from

MK808
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

MK808B

Best regards,

Anat

Does the MK808B use the same kernel img as MK808?

#506 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

Good news,  The AP mode finally works. It is STABLE and the security is WPA2. There is no more need to get a router to connect to. You can change the ssid and password by yourself from the admin page.  

Get the iAstroHub2.2 image file for CX919 (RK3188T with AP6210 wifi chip and ONE antenna) from

Read

https://sourceforge..../?source=navbar

for the instruction.

The issue about gphoto2 was solved as well.  

CX919 is the only recommended platform for iAstroHub after testing "14" devices:

Single core TV stick:  MK802, MK802ii

Dual core TV stick: MK808, MK808B

Quad core TV stick: T428, MK908v1,  MK908v5, MK802iv, MK809iii, CX919,

Development platform: RPi, RPi2, Odroid U2, Odroid C1

:)

You can get CX919 (RK3188T with AP6210 wifi chip and ONE antenna)  here

http://www.geekbuyin...ack-316975.html

Best regards,

Anat

Does MK809iii boot directly from the sd card, or need to flash the rom?

#507 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:51 AM

ecloud

MK808 and MK808B use different kernel files as provided.

RK3188T devices boot directly from the SD card. No need to flash the device.

Best regards,

Anat

#508 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

ecloud

MK808 and MK808B use different kernel files as provided.

RK3188T devices boot directly from the SD card. No need to flash the device.

Best regards,
Anat

Anat,
where can I get the kernel img for MK808B?

#509 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

Hi everbody,

I have been using iAstrohub V1 on my CX919 II. Do I understand correctly that V2 works on such device as well and that I could use the same image?

The CX919 II has an internal flash memory. Do I have to install the img direcly to the intrenal memory and do I have to use a microSD anyway?

Recently I came across a polar alignment script based on plate solving:

https://code.google....olar-alignment/

I have seen that this script has been mentioned earlier in this tgread as well. Would it make sense to integrate the script into a future version of iAstrohub? I think it could help a lot in precise polar alignment of travelling mounts like the astrotrac.

CS

Stephan

Hi Stephan

I have gone through the code and found that this algorithm is not based on plate solving. Actually it just use the plate solving data to recognize the Polaris and Lambda.

This is not a good algorithm as what I expected. It's not accrual and will be no use if you can not see the Polaris.

I'm still seeking for a real plate solving based algorithm (input the solved RA/DEC and mount RA/DEC of two pics, out put the Polar error). Once I found it I will implement it in iAstroHub.

#510 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

The image files of iAstroHub 2.2 for MK808 and MK808B are ready. You can download from

MK808

MK808B

Best regards,

Anat

Does the MK808B use the same kernel img as MK808?

Sorry for my late reply. The kernel file is on the first page of this post.

Anat

#511 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:13 AM

In the next update, iAstroHub is wearable :)  There is no more need to be at the phone or tablet all the time.  You can get the real-time guiding/imaging status and alerts from smart watches. I am working on Pebble and Garmin Connect IQ.

Anat

Just a brief update. I drop the support for Garmin Connect IQ due to the stability and high power consumption.  

Pebble is a solid platform. It can retrieve data at 10sec interval for 9 hours with only 20% drop in battery power. One can get it at $79. It can work with either iOS or Android. 

Anat

Edited by anat, 29 June 2015 - 12:18 AM.

#512 dragonlost

dragonlost

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hello.
I currently has a Canon EOS 1000D.
I view you could use the USB port to be taken and downloaded photos on the SLR.
By cons I do not see anywhere option to raise the mirror before the shot.

The Canon 1000D is not compatible with the USB mirrored lift. To use it under windows, I turn eos utility to have the images on the computer. Can I use the shutter release via the serial port to launch the photos and read the front mirror (as with the software "shuter").

Is it possible to introduce this functionality?

I want to know if it is also possible to use the live view of the 1000D on iastrohub?

#513 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

You can use the serial shutter cable to control the mirror lock-up

http://www.beskeen.c...lr_serial.shtml

iAstroHub itself cannot do live view. But it supports DslrDashbard, Once enabled, you can use liveview from your tablet (Android or iOS) via DslrDashboard.

http://dslrdashboard.info/

Best regards,

Anat

#514 dragonlost

dragonlost

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:46 AM

hello.

I own the serial cable for my Canon but I do not know how to use it with iastrohub.

And , in iastrohub i dont see option for Mirror lock-up

I use iastrohub in RPI2 (iastrohub for RPI2 realese February)

Edited by dragonlost, 10 July 2015 - 09:58 AM.

#515 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

dragonlost

It was my mistake when building the image. Please get the source codes (v.2.2) from SF

http://sourceforge.n...rc.zip/download

Replace the folder "www" in RPi with the one you download. You may not need to load the FTDI driver since it is already in the kernel.

Best regards,

Anat

#516 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

iAstroHub CX919 image

When I check the file /etc/fstab

The file is empty!

It's wired! 

#517 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:04 PM

ecloud

Could you explain the effect from that?

Anat

#518 ecloud

ecloud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

ecloud

Could you explain the effect from that?

Anat

Hi Anat,

There is no effect, except when I add a line to mount a new partition in the file, the system could not boot properly (with a single line in /etc/fstab).

How could it be empty and the system boot with an empty /etc/fstab?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics