Photo

iAstroHub: Tablet astrophotography comes true!

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#51 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:11 PM

Hello ANat i put the new version of iastrohub on my mk802, it works very well.
A question: it seems that with the new version the blue power led light off about 15 mn after boot, therefore all the functions are OK all time. Is it normal? until the native install i have only make a modprobe to use FTDI rs232 which is now usable with my etx and skysafari.

Thanks for your report. The LED off does not affect functions.

Best regards,
Anat

#52 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hi Anat,
There is a conflict in VNC services.
When we start Autoguider, there will be two VNC app running, 5900 is Lin-guider screen and 5901 is OpenSkyImager.
But when we click 'Start Skychart to Setup via VNC', the Skychart will also show in 5900, with Lin-guider together…
And another conflict is, if we click 'Start Skychart to Setup via VNC' after 'Start Skychart', the Skychart will not show in VNC, So I think we can only click one start button.

For the first conflict, I suggest to move Skychart to 5902.
For the second conflict, I suggest to use a dropdown list to start Skychart, with VNC or not.
At least, these issues should be highlighted in README.

Hi ecloud,

1) Only one instance of Skychart can be run.
2) If you press "Start Skychart", there is no GUI because it runs as a daemon/service. It is the normal mode that you will use because it will consume less memory and CPU.
3) "Start Skychart to Setup via VNC" is used only when you perform initial setup. So, it is directed to 5900 (same as Linguider) in order to avoid taking more memory. I think it does make sense. Because after setting up Linguider and Skychart, you will have no need to touch those buttons again.

Best regards,
Anat

#53 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:26 PM

2) You can use a sdcard to usb adapter and plug it in a usb port. Then press "Mount a usb drive". You can see the existing file in your sdcard. Note that the files must be in the root level.

It seems Plate-solving only work on the file named image.jpg, can not be selected. So why you we asking me to put the file into root level?
Is there any function for me to select a file and covert it to image.jpg? I see no dcraw in the system. I had downloaded the code and complied one.

For some people like me could not connect my Pentax DSLR to iAstroHub. So we need to use a different way to feed the image to Plate-solving. Even upload the jpg file from iPAD is a solution.

Solution A
Add a selection function, to select a SD card file and cover it to image.jpg. This needs dcraw.
Solution B
Add a upload button, to upload a jpg file from PAD/phone as the image.jpg.
This needs a SD adapter for PAD/phone.

Hi ecloud,

1) In the image preview page, when you click "Refresh" you should see the file in the root level of your card. Then select the file in the drop down menu and click "load image". The the file will be copied as "image.jpg". Then you can use plate-solving for the file. Hope it is clear for you now.

2) What is the Pentax model you use? Piero made a patch for Pentax using pktriggercord. Is your camera supported by pktriggercord?
http://pktriggercord.sourceforge.net/
http://www.cloudynig...5369851/page...

Best regards,
Anat

#54 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hi Anat,
I don't know how the image viewer works on other CCD/DSLR
But for Pentax, it needs each picture with a JPG copy
Do you think it's better to convert the RAW file only when user want to view it, instead of have each RAW converted?

#55 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:25 AM

Hi Anat,
I don't know how the image viewer works on other CCD/DSLR
But for Pentax, it needs each picture with a JPG copy
Do you think it's better to convert the RAW file only when user want to view it, instead of have each RAW converted?

Hi ecloud,

For other DSLRs, iAstroHub will download only JPG files for previewing but it is different for Pentax in which the raw file is downloaded directly. The preview page is set for JPG/BMP files. If you want to customize the program by converting only selected files, you will need to edit:

1) imageviewer.php

look for this line
if (eregi('\.(jpg|bmp)$', $file))
and change it to
if (eregi('\.(pef)$', $file))

2) loadimage.php

Edit this file to convert the pef file to JPG. and save it as image.jpg

Be warned that editing the source code is addictive. You can't stop tweaking it :)

Best regards,
Anat

#56 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Hi Anat,
So do you mean that for other DSLRs the RAW files are stored in the SD card within the camera?
How about CCDs? I thin they must save their RAW files to iAstroHub... And also with jpg files for each RAW?

#57 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

yes and yes :)

#58 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:09 AM

Hi Anat,

I have a question about the plate solving on SkySafari.
The reason why we need to give a original setting file to iAH is because of the location/TZ data? Or anything else?
If yes, so when I change to a new place (not very far), should I need upload a new setting file to iAH?

#59 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hi Anat,

I got a very strange problem connecting to skysafari. When I try to connect, I get the following error message:

"skysafari plus can make a wireless network connection to the scope, but the scope is not responding. Make sure it is connected and powered on. Also check that your scope type is correct."

here is my set up procedure, please help to take a look if there is any problem.

1. I set up the skysafari: scope type: synscan, mount type: equatorial goto (german), IP: 10.0.0.1, port number: 3300.
2. In skysafari, I went to "save and restore setting" menu, and save new setting files, and also email this new setting file to my email address.
3. i rename the file as "setting.skyset" and upload this file to /home/pi/www/.
4. I connect the iastrohub and the mount like this: 808b -> usb to serial line -> original line comes with my AZEQ6 -> hand control of AZEQ6. the mount is power on
5. connect my iphone to 808B device wifi, open the skysafari and click "scope - connect", and then get the error message as above.

I check in the system info page, the USB device is found:
1. (2x) Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
2. future technology devices international, ltd FT232 USB-Serial(RART)IC

I also connect my mount(AZEQ6) to my laptop and MDL can connect and control it, so that I suppose my usb-serial line is ok

in your idea, what is the other possible error I made?

thanks.

Jason

#60 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi Anat,

I have a question about the plate solving on SkySafari.
The reason why we need to give a original setting file to iAH is because of the location/TZ data? Or anything else?
If yes, so when I change to a new place (not very far), should I need upload a new setting file to iAH?

Hi ecloud,

Your skyset file is mainly used to
1) set your telescope type
2) set your location
The location is not critical because the map is shown in RA and DEC coordinates. Your plate solution is still correct. But the horizon can be changed when you move to another location.

Best regards,
Anat

#61 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hi Anat,

I got a very strange problem connecting to skysafari. When I try to connect, I get the following error message:

"skysafari plus can make a wireless network connection to the scope, but the scope is not responding. Make sure it is connected and powered on. Also check that your scope type is correct."

here is my set up procedure, please help to take a look if there is any problem.

1. I set up the skysafari: scope type: synscan, mount type: equatorial goto (german), IP: 10.0.0.1, port number: 3300.
2. In skysafari, I went to "save and restore setting" menu, and save new setting files, and also email this new setting file to my email address.
3. i rename the file as "setting.skyset" and upload this file to /home/pi/www/.
4. I connect the iastrohub and the mount like this: 808b -> usb to serial line -> original line comes with my AZEQ6 -> hand control of AZEQ6. the mount is power on
5. connect my iphone to 808B device wifi, open the skysafari and click "scope - connect", and then get the error message as above.

I check in the system info page, the USB device is found:
1. (2x) Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
2. future technology devices international, ltd FT232 USB-Serial(RART)IC

I also connect my mount(AZEQ6) to my laptop and MDL can connect and control it, so that I suppose my usb-serial line is ok

in your idea, what is the other possible error I made?

thanks.

Jason

Hi Jason,

As mentioned in the README file, please use the PL2303 adapter for mount connection. The FTDI usb-serial adapter is not supported.

Best regards,
Anat

#62 tango13

tango13

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rome, Italy

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hi Anat,

please use the PL2303 adapter for mount connection. The FTDI usb-serial adapter is not supported.

Maybe I missed something but is there any particular reason (or risk) for not using the FTDI adapter? Stability?
I'm asking because on my test platform I'm presently using an FTDI adapter to connect my mount and everything seems to work great.

Thank you.
Ciao,
Piero

#63 anat

anat

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Hi Piero,

There are two reasons:
1) I had a stability problem with my FTDI adapter.
2) iAstroHub supports Flip-Flat which uses Libftdi. It cannot coexist with the ftdi_sio module

But ftdi_sio.ko is provided in iAstroHub for experimental purposes. Please add
insmod /home/pi/ftdi/3.0.36+/ftdi_sio.ko
in /etc/rc.local
:)

Best regards,
Anat

#64 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:11 AM

Hello anat,
i-ve just jumped in and getting mad with your very good astrophoto solution.
I've studied many possible personalisations using my limited knowledges.

Two questions:
i've seen that the mk808b has not way to store the date, so it starts at the "night of times" every time you power it up. I-ve seen you call date in rc.local and then date is definitely set when you call the index page by using javascript function getUTCHours() and his friends.
However this results in having a "mistaken" time when you start apps like skychart that rely on time to work. The problem is that the mount has a local time and skychart not.
Can you explain me why you choose this way? If i replace the function by something to have localtime, will i create problems elsewhere?

I've tried to make skychart work with my eq6. As far as i know the only way is install indi and use indi_celestron_gps. skychart starts automatically indiserver when you start it, however it doesnt make the connection to the scope by himself; the only way for me is to start skychart by vnc, open scope control panel and click connect. You know how to do it automatically or you know other ways to manage eq6 with skychart without indi? I already tried skysafari solution but i'd prefer to rely on skychart. Of course, there's also the time issue that make i have let's say 10pm on the mount and 8pm on skychart.

Thank you, i'm looking forward for next updates on thi very interesting solution. I hope to begin to use it this weekend for a first serious session.

#65 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hi Anat,
I see the function "assist polar alignment" in README
But I can not find out how to perform it
Could you please give some details?

#66 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hi Anat,

I read in the "PiAstroHub" thread that you will add the support for the FTDI-based usb-serial adapter to trigger the shutter of old-Canon. Is there any updates about it? I have a cooled 400D which performs quite good and without this functions it can not work. I hope it can be ready soon....

Jason

#67 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi Anat,

As per my previous post, if the 400D is controlled by FTDI-based usb-serial shutter control and I don't need to preview it in iAstrohub, is it possible to control 6D and 400D at the same time?

Jason

Jason,

iAstroHub uses Gphoto2 to control a camera. I think Gphoto2 cannot control two cameras at the same time.

It is possible if controlling camera shutter without previewing on another camera. I am working on adding the support for SBIG cameras. I will look into multiple cameras later.

Anat

#68 Jason Lin

Jason Lin

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hi Anat,

i have my first field test of iAstroHub yesterday. enclosed please find my result. It is a result of the combination of my azeq6 + SW 200F4 + Canon 6D, with 300s exposure time. the picture is resize to 200% or original size. The star shape is perfect. Great software. All credit to you!!

Jason

Attached Files

#69 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi Piero,
When I was reading your patch of Pentax, I could not find the dithering part like
if(access("/home/pi/www/dithering",F_OK) == 0 && i<=n_frames)
                        {
                                pt = fopen("/home/pi/www/photo.txt", "a"); // Open File
                                fprintf(pt,"Dithering... Next frame will start soon.\n");
                                fclose(pt); // Close File
                                system("sudo /home/pi/www/./remote_client 4");
                        }

May I know what prevents you to add the dithering part in dslr7.c?

#70 tango13

tango13

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Hi ecloud,

it's just that I wrote the patch on the previous iAH release and the dithering part didn't exist yet :)
As far as I can see there should be no harm in adding it since it just spawns an external command which (I guess) handles the dithering commands.
I'll dig into it a bit more.

Thank you.
Ciao,
Piero

#71 ecloud

ecloud

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

Thank you Piero, I will add the dithering part to my code :D

#72 tango13

tango13

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 05:31 AM

Hi Anat,

I see you did put a lot of effort and work into the CCD focus/autofocus feature and that sounds great.
I was wondering whether/how all that work could be ported to the DSLR world and an Arduino focuser.
Would you please briefly explain how the system works at present and the functions implemented by now?

Thanks a lot.
Ciao,
Piero

#73 Jerome Ni

Jerome Ni

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Dear Developers&users,
Do Nikon Cameras need a usb shuttle control wire to enable Bulb mode with the help of iAstroHub?Thanks.
Great program and will try it soon.
Cheers,
Jerome

#74 inZet

inZet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Milan, Italy

Posted 02 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

I have problems with the MK808B. The procedure seems not working on this device. The link http://www.freaktab....-1-6-Custom-ROM is broken. Should I use finless rom v1.7 or 2.1? RKAndroidTools (ROM_Flash_Tool_137 on 2.1) doesn't probe the device.

#75 mega1977

mega1977

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

if the automatic probe doesnt work, do the manual procedure
Attention with windows 8.1 to do it, cause the usb stack has been changed and probe either automatic or manual will fail.
so use Windows 8 or older or use the workaround on 8.1 that consists in disabling usb root hub (search on google for the details on the workaround)

I'm pretty sure you can use the finless version you prefer (i used 1.7), but this wont fix your issue.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics