• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shortbread13

shortbread13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles County, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

I am finding myself more interested in birds lately. I have a couple of books, Birds of Los Angeles and Birds of California.

Is there a really good book on birdwatching along the lines of The Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer? That book has been indispensable to me since I started stargazing. I'd love to find something similar in the birdwatching world. Thanks!

#2 weezy

weezy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: East of the sun-west of the moon

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

If you have an Android phone (possibly an Iphone, too) Ibird has an app like that, and Sibley lets you select your area and just shows the most common birds.

#3 Boot

Boot

wildly diverse musical tastes

• Loc: The Outernet

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

+1 on the Sibley app. They also have great "real" field guides, if you want something wherein you can actually turn pages; like this.

#4 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I don't think such a book exists, but each of the major field guides has a section on bird identification. Visit your local library, and figure out whose system works best for you.

I use the Sibley Birds and iBird Apps for Android, and the Sibley and National Geographic field guides (books) in the field. I find myself using the Android tablet more and more, and the physical books less and less.

For your purposes, I'd look at the Peterson field guides first.

#5 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

If you are completely new to bird watching, I'd suggest these two, to start:

Bird Watching for Dummies

National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America

#6 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:51 PM

Hello shortbread13,

I like using Peterson's guide. I am certain that there is a guide for western America. I have not found iPhone birding apps to be very useful. I like looking at a well printed page.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

I have owned most of the birdwatching guides. Like most books, different people have different favorites. For me, Sibley is very good and the illustrations cover stages and variations. But somehow I found Stokes worked best for me.

But I have Ibird Pro on my Android phone and tablet and what with the calls and songs and the various features, it's what I use these days and I parted with most of my library.

Jon

#8 kozmik frakture

kozmik frakture

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Covers Corner MD USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I have a range of bird guide/ID books. One of my favorites is the Roger Tory Peterson book.

There is also a nifty iphone app thru Cornell University that's been pretty useful so far.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics