Jupiter.....In daylight!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

I decided to see if I could locate Jupiter in daylight. I did this in anticipation of the triple shadow transit that will happen this summer. Unfortunately, it will happen at about noon local time. So I wanted to see if it was even possible to see Jupiter in daylight conditions.

Tonight, I made my attempt at about 7pm, more than 90 minutes before sunset.

I set up my mount (EQ-3) on my back patio, pointed north; then set the declination to Jupiter's location using the setting circles (which could stand to be recalibrated). After a few minutes of hunting back and forth, a pale circle appeared in my finder scope, standing out against the bright blue sky.

This is with my C6 SCT, TeleVue 2x barlow, Canon T4i w/ Magic Lantern raw video. ISO 1600, 1/60s, 30fps, 1350/2700 frames

Not a very good image, but I'm quite pleased with myself being able to locate an astronomical object in daylight. I may actually attempt to nab that triple transit this summer.

Attached Files

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

Hi - great daytime shot with your "little" scope!!! :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Pardon me and I'll remove the image if you wish but if you follow what I've said to Smitty in his thread re setting the black-point/sky background you can turn the image into a more "normal" night-time appearance... :)

Attached Files

#3 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

Impressive result for daytime! Pretty amazing. Look forward to more of your work!

Glenn

#4 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi - great daytime shot with your "little" scope!!! :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Pardon me and I'll remove the image if you wish but if you follow what I've said to Smitty in his thread re setting the black-point/sky background you can turn the image into a more "normal" night-time appearance... :)

I considered doing the same, but in the end, I felt that I would just produce a blasé shot of Jupiter. I attempted to stay more true to what one would see in the eyepiece in the given conditions. The washed out sky background and non-existent dark areas are a real challenge in post-processing.

Now to see if I can do the same at Noon in June...

#5 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

When I was shooting video of the Shoemaker-Levy 9 impacts on Jupiter, the sky was still quite blue shortly after sunset. Got some terrific footage.

There is often a window right after sunset, before the ground starts to give up the heat it's accumulated during the day. Seeing can be excellent for up to 30 or 40 minutes. Then the air starts to boil and seeing degrades quickly until well after midnight. But if you hit that window- and it doesn't always happen- you'll get some sharp images. Sometimes it's only 5 or 10 minutes.

#6 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

I caught that window of seeing a few nights ago. There was a short time where the sky was still glowing from sunset that I was seeing the first diffraction ring unbroken about 1/2 way around.

It didn't last long.

By the time the sky darkened up completely, it all fell apart, and we were back to 3 broken arcs in the diffraction ring, and stars jumping around.

#7 Tuawcxs

Tuawcxs

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:47 AM

Do you have any of that video or pictures taken at the time?

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Do you have any of that video or pictures taken at the time?

I do still have the VHS tape. I've tried shooting stills from the TV screen but the raster lines are distracting artifacts. One of these days I'll convert it to a digital video file. I'll see if I have a still on photobucket during my lunch time. If I do, I'll post it. Remember it's 20+ year-old video technology.

The running video is much clearer than the individual frames.

#9 woodscavenger

woodscavenger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

I like the blue background. for those in the know it makes the capture even more impressive!!

#10 HxPI

HxPI

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia Beach, VA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

I think the natural daytime view of Jupiter is impressive! Even more amazing with the moons! Does it really look like that in the eyepiece? Regardless, nice job.... gives me something else to hope for besides observing the sun!

Looking forward to seeing more daytime celestial images...

Ciao,
Mel

#11 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I think the natural daytime view of Jupiter is impressive! Even more amazing with the moons! Does it really look like that in the eyepiece? Regardless, nice job.... gives me something else to hope for besides observing the sun!

Looking forward to seeing more daytime celestial images...

Ciao,
Mel

It's pretty close. The image has a bit more contrast than the visual view. However, I did not get much of a chance to observe, as I was busy showing my young kids, and keeping them from hitting the scope with the sticks they were playing with. The moon appearing was a surprise, I did not see that in the eyepiece.

I quickly threw my camera on, got a few minutes of video, then plopped the whole scope in the house and out of harm's way.

#12 RickyS

RickyS

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmond, Oklahoma

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

Great work! What was the air temp when you shot the vid?

#13 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:16 AM

Probably 60-65F. The scope and camera were about 10* warmer than ambient (no cooldown time). The sun was still up, but I was on the East side of our house, so in the shade.

#14 lukasik

lukasik

Vanguard

• Loc: Lawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:09 AM

Very impressive on several fronts: Daytime image and with a DSLR. Well done!

#15 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Evan

With all due respect to others replies here, I am just simply in awe of this initial daylight image that you captured, and I want to post it right now to all my non-astronomy friends in Facebook.

Very amazing details for a daylight shot. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing your future efforts,

Mark
My CN Gallery - 8 pages - Please see all

#16 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:53 PM

Thanks. I'm hoping I can find Jupiter mid-day in June for the triple transit. That will be a real challenge.

#17 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:26 AM

Evan, it is remarkable that you were able to capture a moon in daylight! If the rare triple transit occurs with the sun up, your setup would defintely capture it. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#18 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:26 PM

Another success tonight. Though you wouldn't think so based on the image I captured.

Today after work, I was able to locate Jupiter just before 5 pm local time. This is 2 hours earlier than my last capture.

I actually attempted to do so at the same time a week ago, but had no success. This time, I placed a circular polarizer in front of my finder scope, and adjusted it to darken the blue sky up a bit - this had the effect of increasing the contrast of Jupiter in the finder scope, so it only took me a few minutes to find it.

Seeing was awful. I've never before seen Jupiter actually jumping around like it was tonight. Between that, and the washed out appearance due to the daytime sky, focusing was also quite difficult. I probably didn't have my camera settings right either for the video capture.

I've flocked the primary baffle of my C6, but I could probably improve image contrast by placing a long, flocked glare shield on my scope.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics