Leica Galen III?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dyslexic nam

dyslexic nam

Surveyor 1

• Loc: PEI, Canada

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hello all. I picked up a Leica Galen III at a local pawn shop (for what I think is a pretty good price), and am wondering about the quality of this microscope. To date, I have only really used a low power stereo scope from Amscope (lots of fun looking at bugs, rocks, etc.), but I thought that this would make a good complimentary high power instrument and cover all my microscopy bases. Not sure what I will use it for at this point, but with two young kids and lots of outdoors hobbies/interests I am sure it will come in handy. It has the 4 original Leica objectives though I am not sure if the ep's are original or not (the aren't branded).

Since it was a used scope and shows some signs of wear, are there things I should be looking for to determine if it is fully functional? Things seemed to work as they should based on a quick trial run last night, but I can't really test the oil immersion function at this point, and don't know enough about what else I should be looking for. The light works, the focusing and movement mechanisms all seem to be in order, and the non-immersion views seemed to be quite good when I looked at a few slides I have. Basically, for the price I paid, I suspect it is a quality instrument, but I don't want to discover a 'fatal flaw' at some point down the road.

I have 2 more days where I can return it for a full refund, so if anyone has any suggestions about things to look for or tests I can do to determine functionality, that would be appreciated.

#2 snorkler

snorkler

Aperture Aficionado

• Loc: Bay Area, California

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:50 PM

You've done what I would do: check illumination, mechanical functioning, and visual quality. You've also apparently determined the scope's value. If you're satisfied, that's good.

It does appear the Leica Galen III is similar to the Leica Reichert IV in being a rebranded scope. The Reichert is apparently a rebranded American Optical product, and the Galen is apparently a rebranded Bausch and Lomb product. If so, consider the scope's real value to be that of a B&L scope, rather than a Leica.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics