Almost Heaven Star Party 2014

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Glad you enjoyed Lentini.  You are usually guaranteed one good night!  I thought the transparency was a bit off on Monday night, but even still its amazing.  I also was able to get some imaging in and chased down some Messiers I usually can't see.

#52 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:14 AM

I drove up and down the mountain four times in my Toyota Echo, so I'd say most any car can make it.  It does appear that I damaged my brakes, though.  They are grinding pretty badly now.  Maybe they were just ready to wear out, who knows?  These smaller cars have lightweight brakes and I warped a pair in 2006 on another Echo coming down the paved Briery Gap Road on the west side of Spruce Knob.

I met Seanem44 one day out in front of my camp, along with many other good people over the course of the party.  It was a great event, something I will remember for the rest of my life.

Although I live under what many people call a dark sky, compared to Spruce Knob, it does not deliver.  When I was outside last night with my scopes, everything seemed dull and dim in comparison!

Here is a blog entry I wrote for The Mountain Institute, along with pics I took :  http://spruceknob.blogspot.com/

Glen

Edited by Glen A W, 29 August 2014 - 11:18 AM.

#53 Seanem44

Seanem44

Apollo

• Loc: Woodbridge, VA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Very nice write up Glen!  I would say the people at AHSP are top notch!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics