• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I ordered EQ8, it will probably arrive within few weeks.
Not really familiar with Skywatcher mounts so I have few questions.
I controlled my present mount (CGEM) with Maxim DL (and some other software) using Celestron ASCOM driver.
Mount was connected with RS232 cable from connector on the bottom of HC to COM port USB adapter.

I presume EQ8 can be connected that way too?
Also, can EQ8 mount use Celestron ASCOM driver for control via Maxim DL?

I'm not using EQMOD.

Thx

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:51 PM

EQ8 like all goto Synta mounts can be run by computer. Your Celestron ASCOM driver is the wrong software to use. You want EQASCOM, also known as EQMOD. There's a YAHOO group for it. Join the group and you can download not only the software but a number of additional programs that work with it.

EQMOD has one of the best pointing models I've seen for a mount control program. If you have a permanent observatory, you can save and reuse your sky model for future observing sessions. If you are using a portable setup, it takes only 10-15 minutes to build a model that's accurate enough to put targets near the center of your imaging chip. EQMOD also has a polar alignment assist facility that will accurately position the RA axis for you to align Polaris using the polarscope reticle.

I've been very happy using EQMOD with both my Sirius and Atlas mount.

Phil

#3 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:49 AM

EQMOD is awesome, you will love it!

Guylain

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

EQ8 like all goto Synta mounts can be run by computer. Your Celestron ASCOM driver is the wrong software to use. You want EQASCOM, also known as EQMOD.

He MAY want EQMOD, or he may just want to continue using the computer/mount the way he is used to using it. As a matter of fact, one of the selections in the Celestron driver is for the SynScan mounts, and that will work fine with the EQ8. ;)

#5 orion69

orion69

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:49 PM

Thanks Phil, Guylain and Uncle Rod, although EQMOD seams to be nice, Maxim DL has everything I need for AP before final processing. It's good to know that Celestron driver will work fine with EQ8...

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yep, in the ASCOM chooser, just Select Celestron and then "Synta Skywatcher" and you should be good to go.

#7 tjugo

tjugo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hehehe,

The only reason I am saving money to buy an HDX110 (aka EQ8) and not a CGE pro is the ability to drive it using EQMOD.

Uncle Rod is right Celestron's ASCOM driver is compatible with Synta mounts, so it should be a drop in replacement of your CGEM.

Cheers,

Jose

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics