Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

May Skies

By Dick Cookman

#2 npc

npc

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the comet updates, but I'm a little confused by some of the magnitudes listed for them. Your article lists PanSTARRS at currently about 8th magnitude. That seems a little high based on my observations, but it's in the ballpark, and these are comets we're talking about. Your article also mentions Jaques and LINEAR both at about 8th magnitude, but other sources note them as being much dimmer. in-the-sky.org and the Minor Planet Center (the same source, since in-the-sky.org is using the MPC information) list LINEAR at about 12th-13th magnitude right now, and as it's moving away from the sun, I sure don't expect it to get any brighter. The same sources indicate that Jaques is currently about 12th magnitude and will peak at no more than 8th mag.

So, I'm wondering if the brightnesses you list in your article are based on your personal observations, or are they from some other source I'm not seeing? Could you tell me the source of the prediction that Jaques will peak at 5th mag, as I can't find it?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

#3 cookman

cookman

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:00 PM

Personal observation when I am lucky.

Otherwise I use a variety of sources. I typically look for multiple similar brightness estimates. One of my best sources is:

http://www.aerith.ne...t/future-n.html

which estimated all three at magnitudes 8 or brighter.

Dick

#4 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the magnitude scale is logarithmic?

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics