Mars Observation (May 5, 2014)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I made an observation of Mars on May 5, 2014 (03:30 U.T. or 11:30 PM EDT) using my 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain (190x and 258x). The North Polar Cap (NPC) was small and irregular surrounded by a very dark to dark (2-3/10) collar. A very bright (8/1) and elongated streak was visible South and preceding the central meridian (CM) which may represent an ice remnant, water-ice cloud, or possibly a localized dust storm. Panchaia, Utopia, and Umbra appeared dark to dusky (3-4/10) South of the NPC. Casius was a spear-like dark (3/10) albedo feature following the CM. Elysium appeared as a bright (7/10) circular feature with a localized bright to very bright (7-8/10) feature over it's following half (cloud?) towards the preceding limb. Chaos, Morpheos Lacus, and Hyblaeus appeared dark to dusky (3-4/10) over the North-following corner of Elysium. Mare Cimmerium and Mare Tyrrhenum appeared dark to dusky (3-4/10) towards the South separated by a bright (7/10) Hesperia. Dusky to dull streaks were noted over the northern border of Mare Cimmerium over Zephyria and Aeolis. I noted the Syrtis Blue Cloud over Syrtis Major (3-5/10) towards the following limb. The "Syrtis Blue Cloud" is a discrete topographic (localized) cloud composed of water-ice aerosols and carbon dioxide crystals that forms over the Libya basin and Syrtis Major Planum (8.4°N, 69.5°E; originally thought to be a plain but found to be a Hesperian age (3.7-3.0 Billion years) low-angle basaltic plains volcano by the Mars Global Surveyor) during late spring and early summer of the northern hemisphere. This cloud gives Syrtis Major a "bluish" appearance that was first noted in 1858 by the Italian astronomer Pietro Angelo Sechhi (1818-1878; Director of the Roman College Observatory in Rome) who named it the "Blue Scorpion." This cloud is best seen when Syrtis Major is near the limb. Isidis Regio and Libya contained very bright (8/10) clouds over them.

The best of luck in your own observations of Mars.

Regards,
Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

A labeled image of my Mars observation showing the major albedo features noted. I hope that this helps.

Regards,
Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Carlos, the level of detail in your sketch is simply awesome. I hope the weather down here continues to stay as good as it has been. I'm really enjoying observing Mars every opportunity possible, as I'm sure you are. Thanks for posting your sketch.

Ed D

#4 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Great sketch, thanks for the albedo labels.

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

Ed and Tommy,

Thank you both for the compliments on my Mars observation.

Ed- Keep up the good work with your fine 6" Planetary Dobsonian. The best of luck in your own observations.

Tommy- I am glad the labeled nomenclature image helped.

Regards,
Carlos

#6 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

Carlos,
Lovely work. I had a pretty good view of Mars through an old classic Clark refractor but the seeing wasn't the best. Still a lovely site.

Your sketch is quite superb.

Ken

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Carlos,

Another totally impressive work. The detail you are picking up in your sketching is most remarkable.
Great post.

Frank :)

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:13 AM

Carlos,

Very good sketch of Mars on May 5th :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

Frank, Ken, and Tom

Thank you all for the compliments on my Mars observation. I was fortunate to be able to see so much detail over the red planet. The best of luck in your own observations.

Regards,
Carlos

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

Carlos.

You have all my admiration for this magnificent sketch of Mars. Man, you have seen lot of details. You are very talented to sketch.

Andre.

#11 Alpha Tauri

Alpha Tauri

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Indianapolis

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

Very nice sketch indeed. Is this rendered digitally? If not, what mediums did you use? I'm fairly new to Astro-sketching, just bought my first set of pencils yesterday... so I beg your pardon in advance for all badgering :)

#12 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:30 PM

Andre,

Thank you very much for the kind compliments on my Mars observation and artistic ability. You are also very talented rendering the solar surface and spectacular prominences.

Charlie- My initial observations are made using a graphite pencil (typically using pencil grades between 4H to 2B; most of the time either 2H or HB). I then add color to the graphite rendering (based upon notes written at the time of the observation) on my computer using Photoshop (any image editing program may be used such as Gimp, PhotoPaint, Paint.Net, etc.). My recommendation is to review the posts on this excellent forum and learn from experienced observers/artists, start using a graphite pencil to make your observations (an HB grade is the easiest one to use as it is not too dark and easy to blend), and especially to practice, practice, practice. Your observations may not be works of art but they are useful to you and other observers by understanding what you were observing at the moment of your observation. The best of luck and I look forward to your future observations on the forum.

Useful Links;
http://www.cloudynig...901642/page/... (Best of the CN Sketching Forum)
http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/ (Jeremy Perez's excellent web site with good tips and useful templates for the planets and DSO's)
http://pcwobservatory.com/ (Erika Rix's excellent web site also with good tips)

Regards,
Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics