4 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Aggas

Steven Aggas

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:39 PM

Hi guys,
My friend has a Celestron CGEM Mount and when intructed to do a goto from TheSkyX, its behavior zips it away by about 3.5 degrees then sneaks back to the proper coord's. It always does this, and it's quick, to go that ~3.5 degrees, like one second. We were doing some plate solves using Image Link and AllSky adn it would certainly center it after solving, but the zipping away..., is that an attribute of the CGEM? I have TheSky6 for a scope and in doing goto's there's no fast movements, can anyone confirm it's the Celestron mount?

Thanks

#2 cbwerner

cbwerner

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

You'll have better luck asking this in the Mounts forum. :)

#3 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

My CGEM and NexStar 5SE both do this when using the hand control. If I am far from the target it moves at the maximum rate to a point down-wind from the target. Then moving at a much slower rate it creeps up on the target. If I am on the target then it does essentially the same thing. It moves at max rate to that point down-wind and then slowly back to the target.

What I mean by down-wind is that it approaches the target so it is moving in the same direction that will be needed to take out the Earth's rotation. This is to eliminate any backlash problem.

#4 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:36 AM

Like Steve says, my old CGEM and new DX and the SE do the same for backlash compensation.

#5 Steven Aggas

Steven Aggas

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:21 PM

It sounds like what my friend's CGEM does. Thanks guys.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics