Photo

LXD75 saddle bolt frozen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bremen, IN (just south of South Bend)

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

For some unknown reason, when I went to mount my scope last night, I couldn't turn the big bolt in the saddle that tightens the dovetail into place. I tried to use some loving force using a pipe wrench and sheared off the grip. I then tried using pliers to remove what remained and did nothing but crush the bolt further.

Therefore, I have a perfectly good working LXD75 mount with no way to mount a scope onto it.

So, I can....
1) Trash the whole thing at trash day next weekend.
2) sell the individual parts off.
3) try and fix it (no idea how, I'm not a machinist)

If anyone wants to chime in and provide some tips and ideas as to how to proceed...your suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

#2 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

The one thing I would not recommend it to just trash it. It is worth something for parts since there are no longer any parts, particularly the motors, available for this mount. Beyond that, how much effort or money you put into it is up to you, but I wouldn't put to much in there since there are better mounts out there if you don't mind buying a new (or used) one.

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

If you are not capable of removing the frozen bolt yourself, take the mount to a machine shop and have the bolt removed. This is child's play for a trained professional.

Stan

#4 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

I guess I'll just put it up for sale then here at cloudy nights. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

#5 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Watertown Ma.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

I would not give up on it that fast. Just like Stan said take it to a machine shop. Do you have a pic of it?

#6 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Here's the pic.

You can see its the main bolt and it's pretty mangled now but it doesn't matter. It just needs to be removed and probably re-threaded one size larger.

Attached Files

#7 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

It's weird how it just froze in place. If was removed all the way out and put back in and it was very tight I would say it got cross threaded. I have removed a ton of frozen bolts on cars and other things maybe a good set of vice grips would work. If the threads are mess up it would have to be re-threaded one size larger just like you said. Just like said before a machine shop could do this. I am sure the guys here can come up with something you probably not the first person with this problem.

#8 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:54 PM

Oh one other thing you can also replace the saddle.

#9 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:23 PM

It really is "weird" because I never loosen it past the point of being able to take the scope off, and I rarely take it off.

In fact, just yesterday afternoon though, I took it off to take the mount outside to calibrate the polar scope. When I put the scope back on after bringing it in the house, the big bolt wouldn't tighten. So I grabbed a towel to get a better grip of the knob, no go. I then grabbed a pipe wrench as I thought maybe I just had to get past a rough spot and SNAP.

Now all I wanted to do was get it out so I grabbed some pliers and squeezed as hard as I could a turned....not even a partial turn. That's why its now so mangled in the picture.

Yes...very weird.

#10 sickfish

sickfish

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:35 PM

Try the vise grips clamp them down hard. Thats what I would buddy. Good luck I would like to know how it works out no matter what you do. once again good luck. Also the guys in the do it yourself,ATM forum might help.

#11 jwaldo

jwaldo

Smart Mime

• Loc: Simi Valley, CA

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I always thought the aluminum bolt in aluminum casting holding aluminum dovetail was just asking for trouble. If you can get it out, make sure the replacement bolt is steel.

If you CAN'T get it out, ADM makes a saddle adapter that replaces the whole upper plate, and should fit the LXD75. And ADM's saddles are sturdier than the stock Meade saddle, too.

#12 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

I always thought the aluminum bolt in aluminum casting holding aluminum dovetail was just asking for trouble. If you can get it out, make sure the replacement bolt is steel.

If you CAN'T get it out, ADM makes a saddle adapter that replaces the whole upper plate, and should fit the LXD75. And ADM's saddles are sturdier than the stock Meade saddle, too.

This might be a question for the guy at ADM. He's been quick to answer my questions in the past, and he might have a solution in mind (not for the bolt, but for the whole saddle, etc.)

Don't trash the mount...

#13 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:25 PM

You might try using a penetrant. Not WD-40, but a real bolt penetrant from an autoparts store. If you can get the bolt out you can replace it with a steel or alloy bolt.

#14 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:14 AM

sounds like the aluminum galled or something. always a problem with these.

a few whacks with a hammer on the broken bit of bolt might shock it loose.

Failing that, cut off the bolt right at the surface and then drill it out.

#15 ch2co

ch2co

Mariner 2

• Loc: Rocky Mountain High USA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Definately don't get rid of the mount. One of the first things that I did with mine was to convert it with the ADM head. Mine will take either the Vixen or Losmandy size dovetails and is an actual clamp like a vise, as opposed to a single point screw that is expected to hold the dovetail. Both my LXD75 and EQ6 mounts have these type heads.

Chuck the Grumpy Gator

Attached Files

#16 Cobalt5120

Cobalt5120

Mariner 2

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for all the info.

Actually I sold it here on the cloudy nights classifieds, so I did get rid of it, but I I certainly didn't junk it. Now I need to figure out what to to replace it with.

Always something!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics