Saturn Good Seeing May 2

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

• Loc: Nr. Scotland.

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Well our Internet (external phone-line) is still not fully working – they have extended the repair date from Apr. 30 to May 8 and now May 12/13 – but staying on longer now!

But on a wing an a prayer I am posting this; being part of a series of good seeing with Saturn and Mars over these past weeks – and unable to post anywhere……..

My useful sessions with Saturn this apparition amount to a mere six with May 2 and March 11 being the most productive. On the date of the drawing the planet never getting higher than 20º from here. However patience and persistence still delivers and I already was optimistic seeing-wise from an earlier good session with Mars.

I could see no activity, even in the best moments, but on other nights, especially March 11, some lighter areas in the NTZ were seen or suspected. I’m pretty convinced I truly got the hexagon last apparition. This was undoubtedly aided by an unusually light surrounding NPR; but this has darkened markedly now so any angular outline to the cap will be very challenging for me now I suspect.

Colour: for the globe I felt there was a preponderance of brass-tones – with shades from very tarnished to fairly polished! Even the apparently slatey NPC has turned out to sample as a deep muddy-brown shade as developed from my saved colour impressions/comparisons; and simply looks bluish by contrast – at least on my monitors!

Fuller report on Solar System Observing Forum.

DG

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

David,

An outstanding observation and report on Saturn. You have captured the globe and rings very nicely. From my view of the planet recently I noted similar features over the globe and rings.Thank you for sharing to with us all.

Regards,
Carlos

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

David,

Very good sketch of Saturn on May 2nd :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:37 PM

David,

A very impressive capture of Saturn.
I have never considered pointing a telescope at Saturn so close to the horizon.
Your sketch is photographic in quality.

Frank :)

#5 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:10 PM

Great Saturn sketch, very detailed

#6 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

Thanks All for your compliments – much appreciated.

Frank:

I have never considered pointing a telescope at Saturn so close to the horizon.

Where I live now I am particularly favoured for a relatively higher frequency of good seeing at low altitude. My previous home (only 8 miles to the n’east) where I observed from (1961-76) was not so good in that regard. I guess part of that was I was looking toward (between/across) a row of houses over the back street. Here I have open country till our N.E/S.W. isolated row/street hides the s’west sky. Also we are considerably higher than land to the south.

So all I can say those who are similarly favoured: do not give up on low altitude seeing.

As an example attached is a 1990 drawing (I had no computers then) when Saturn was at -22º declination and 13º altitude from here! This was one of a series, re. the GWS, and published in two reports in the BAA Journal back then.

Thanks all again.
Dave.

Attached Files

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:30 AM

David, my jaw literally fell off my face. What an amazing view you are treated to.

#8 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Many thanks Norme.

Catching up on recent - no Internet - days I have beeen looking on various CN forums and note threads such as reflector v refractor.....well: I have a virtual 16" refractor in the D-K as attested by visitors who have looked through such instruments.

Also big scope v small: perhaps worth quoting Peek ("The Planet Jupiter" page 32) "A large scope can be stopped down.........; but it is impossible to stretch a 6-inch objective into a 12-inch". Not that I look down on 6" :grin: or smaller - I enjoy each for their own virtues!

However I resist particpating in those discussions - and the D-K (perhaps slightly a one-off) gives me a lot of light to 'play with' following various investigations.

Dave.

#9 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:09 AM

You know, in great seeing having a 6" has pretty much kept aperture fever at bay. It's been a real treat. But, man, what a view you have. Got the fever. :)

I look forward to more observing adventures when the next dry season rolls around. Keep up the great work, David.

#10 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Oups, whaw what a superb result you share here! And what a good work you did. I'm fan!

#11 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

Many thanks :) - especially valued from a talented artist such as youself.

#12 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 16 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

A beautiful rendition Dave.

I appreciate the colour difference between A and B.

#13 kraterkid

kraterkid

Aurora

• Loc: Jacumba, California

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:16 PM

Outstanding sketch David! You have an incredible eye for these subtle details, and considering Saturn's elevation it is all the more astonishing.

#14 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Many thanks Chris, Rich.

Had a good view of Mars (16th) but hopes were dashed with Saturn with the seeing 'truer' to altitude on that occasion - oh well!

Our Internet seems stabilized now (at last) so hope to get some long delayed and recent Mars posted today - domestic tasks allowing, but soon hopefully. :p

Dave.

#15 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

An excellent rendition David. I had some reasonable seeing last night in spite of the planet being around 15 degrees in altitude!

#16 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

David,

An excellent observation and rendering of the Equatorial Zone (EZ) storm over Saturn in 1990. I remember observing this storm as well. I have attached a link to a similar storm over the EZ in 1994 imaged by the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) in 1994. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

http://photojournal....eg/PIA01464.jpg

Regards,
Carlos

#17 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:39 AM

Thanks Paul, Carlos.

I see a good few UK observers are catching Saturn in good conditions in spite of the low altitude – always thought my location could not be that unique. In spite of that I still have only seven sessions at this rather advanced stage of the apparition – don’t think I’ve less than 30 in any since 1964/65!

Thanks for the 1994 link Carlos – I independently ‘discovered’ :grin: that outbreak – Saturn seems to have gone mad after the 1990 GWS with much activity during that decade. I well recall one apparition with both Saturn and Jupiter up at the same time and for some weeks I had more CMTs for Saturn…!!

Having recently been reporting observations to the BAA for 1995-on to contribute to a Section Report backlog I have been selecting drawings to maybe post here as a montage for perhaps that whole remarkable decade if I can get the file-size right.

Still got that Mars stuff to post – but weather too nice to be sat at the PC – but forecast indicates I will be doing so tomorrow and will have decided by then on what and how to present!

#18 idp

idp

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: New Haven, CT

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Magnificent. Dave, this apparition many digital images seem to show a prominent greenish hue north of NEB. Have you ever perceived anything like that?

Thank you for posting your superb work, that's a great asset to this forum!

Ivano

#19 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:15 AM

Looking forward to seeing your Mars observations and other Saturn drawings from that exciting decade, Dave. Don't forget to make a start on Uranus this year in due course ;-)

#20 stanislas-jean

stanislas-jean

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:42 AM

Regarding Uranus, will be.
It would be advisable to perform a meeting at London about the subject regarding remote planets, at the BAA.
Just a suggestion. Faithfully.
Stanislas-Jean

#21 David Gray

David Gray

Viking 1

Posted 27 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Oops not looked here lately……! :o

Thanks Ivano, Paul, Stan.

Regret the no show with those Mars obs. sidetracked once again with more darned obligations and such!

Ivano: I have to say that the N. Hem hues I am getting are far less vivid than some imagery I’ve seen. As I mentioned more like “brass”: on the green side of ochre – perhaps what Pete (Azure1961p) said, on my Solar System Forum thread, “olive[s]” might fit better.

As for Uranus: never forgot it in 5+ decades so what more can I say – actually on this thread: nothing! :grin:

Thanks again.

Dave.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics