• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MDavid

MDavid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 29°N (Texas)

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

I am looking for any gotchas on adding a Feathertouch FTF2015BCR or the Lightweight FTF2015BCR-LW focuser to my CPC 1100 HD.

I am a new owner of the 1100 and immediately noticed that I didn't like the mirror flop when using the native focuer.

I'm hoping to lock the mirror and use FT's crayford style focusing to eliminate the problem.

Thoughts? Considerations?

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:35 PM

I'm using this one http://www.highpoint...e-focusers/w... on my C11 and C8. A little cheaper than the ones you are considering. It also has a digital readout on focus travel and a thermometer. Some things that you might want to consider are balance of the OTA, Is there enough clearance with the base of the mount and if you lock the mirror, do you have enough back or inward focus. I'm using it on a GEM so the first to don't come into play and I don't lock the mirror so the last is not a problem. Hope this helps.

#3 MDavid

MDavid

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 29°N (Texas)

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

I hadn't considered the WO focuser and a temp gauge is a really nice feature.

...I really like using my WO Binoviewer in the 1100 and I have a Meade 2 inch dielectric diagonal that I'd be using; although, while it looks like I have enough clearance, I'm not sure about a fully extended drawtube at zenith...or if I'd ever need to fully extend the drawtube.

I suppose I'm fuzzy on how to determine the position I'd want to lock the mirror in order to get the best use of the add on focuser. I suppose a little trial and error with eyepieces of various focal lengths. I'm so new to SCT that I'm not even sure if high or low power eyepieces require more backfocus (inward travel)...

#4 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

I am looking for any gotchas on adding a Feathertouch

The only 'gotcha' is the price!

I've owned Feather Touch, MoonLite, and GSO focusers. The Moonlite is quite nice, and the GSO is inexpensive. But, the best of the lot is the Feather Touch in my opinion.

I don't know anything about the William Optics unit , but I do know if I am going to spend a lot of money for an aftermarket focuser, it will be what I consider the best. This is exactly why there is a Feather Touch on my CPC 1100.

Don :usa:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics