• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#276 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 08 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

Took the OneSky to a local community college plaza for a lunar eclipse viewing party this morning (4am) and had the pleasure of telling students the cost of the views was much less than they thought. A couple of the astronomy students had been saving up for a scope and suddenly realized they were there.

Actually, the most enjoyable part was seeing how prepared, knowledgeable and engaged the high school and community college students were. Their informed interest and their "Oh, wow" and "Cool" exclamations more than compensated for the lost sleep.

COOL!  Good job!  :applause: :applause: :applause: :waytogo:

-Bob F.  beer2.gif

#277 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

FWIW I'm much more impressed with your photo taken through a $200 telescope then I am with those taken through multi-thousand dollar telescopes.

YES, exactly right!!! 

Good job, jlandy!!!  :waytogo: :waytogo:

Please continue to post some of your photos here.  I very much enjoy viewing them and reading your posts. :)  Thanks.

Sincerely,

-Bob F. :) :bow:

Thanks Bob! This is pretty much the only place I post them (I started a gallery on the AstronomersWithoutBorders website too).

Now that I can catch pictures without the 2x barlow in the way, I should be able to take full advantage of the fast optics. M31 is going to be my first go, followed by M45, and maybe the Helix Nebula as a stretch goal. It feels like I have a completely new but totally familiar telescope on my hands!

#278 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:19 PM

You guys are great!

At AWB we're going to start a forum for newbies considering buying the OneSky as a present for Christmas or for themselves to help them learn how to use their first telescope. As you all know, there are too many people that get a new telescope but never really learn how to use it effectively and end up setting it aside. This is a huge lost opportunity.

This forum will be only about the OneSky, with topics ranging from the very most basic how-to questions to whatever users ask about. This isn't meant to replace this great thread in any way. We're doing it so we can have a whole section with different threads that newbies can use to find answers or ask their own questions, and where we can make stickies and an FAQ from different threads.

If you would be interested in volunteering to help these budding amateur astronomers with their new OneSky telescopes please contact me by PM here or write to me at mikes@astronomerswithoutborders.org.

Thanks all!

Clear skies,
Mike

#279 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

First light without the barlow... only got ~45 minutes before the moon came up... managed to catch M110 though! Looking forward to the next moonless/dry night

Attached Files

• havasman likes this

#280 Abhat

Abhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

Great shot. How many minute exposure that was?

#281 Firewire

Firewire

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

Okay so i just bought a Panasonic Lumix Gx7... wondering if i cans start doing astrophotography since its an interchangeable lens camera. Anyone have any idea what adapters i might need and would the standard table top mount be stable enough do do some simple astrophotography? I just want to perhaps shoot stars and the moon, i think DSOs would be much too difficult. 

#282 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

The moon yes, stars at 650mm without a tracking motor are probably out of the question. You could probably catch the iss though!

#283 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:30 AM

Sorry to flood this with Andromeda pictures (this is probably the best I'll do!). I wanted to try a 10 minute exposure last night, and included some flat frames and bias frames (didnt really understand them before). Here's the result! (40 minutes, ISO800)

Attached Files

• havasman and BFaucett like this

#284 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

The eastern veil this time, 1 hour 25 minutes of exposure @ ISO 800... much easier to catch without the barlow!

Attached Files

• havasman and BFaucett like this

#285 Firewire

Firewire

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

These are amazing! Congratulations on the lovely results! It is such a large improvement on the Andromeda shot!

• jlandy likes this

#286 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks FireWire! If the next weekend is clear I'm considering going to my coastal dark site to catch the helix nebula. M45 during the new moon should be exciting too

#287 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

Sorry to flood this with Andromeda pictures...

No worries and no apology necessary, IMHO!  I very much enjoy viewing your photos!  :waytogo: Clap.gif

Quite frankly, I find it amazing what the "little" OneSky can actually do and achieve. Who'd uh thunk it? :)

Keep up the good work and please keep sharing your photos with us!  :waytogo: :bow:

Sincerely,

-Bob F.  beer2.gif

Edited by BFaucett, 13 October 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#288 havasman

havasman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:15 AM

Stock, the OneSky makes you star hop so I has happy tonight when I got an hour or so between cloud banks and searched up M2, M15, M52, M57, NGC869/884, M34, and enjoyed a couple of views like Alberio and the Coathanger Cluster. The white zone skies and a building high cloud layer didn't allow M31, NGC404 or M27 but it was a fun, if short session. Tomorrow or Wednesday: to the dark!!

Edited by havasman, 14 October 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#289 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:46 AM

Stock, the OneSky makes you star hop so I has happy tonight when I got an hour or so between cloud banks and searched up M2, M15, M52, M57, NGC869/884, M34, and enjoyed a couple of views like Alberio and the Coathanger Cluster. The white zone skies and a building high cloud layer didn't allow M31, NGC404 or M27 but it was a fun, if short session. Tomorrow or Wednesday: to the dark!!

I think this is what has been most rewarding for me - learning the sky. Since owning this telescope, and without goto ability, I have been forced to learn all of the visible constellations, where to find objects, and how to starhop. It's a lot of fun being able to point to asterisms or certain locations with my friends and teach them what's up there

• BFaucett likes this

#290 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

jlandy,

Do you have any plans to try to capture an image of the Comet Siding Spring and its close approach to Mars that will be occurring in a few days from now (on Oct. 19)? 

http://www.space.com...kywatching.html

In my white zone, I have very little chance of seeing it with my OneSky (I think). 

Thanks!

-Bob F. :)

#291 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know this comet would be a viable target. The estimated magnitude right now is a bit low I think to get a good picture, but I'll keep an eye on it as we approach sunday to see what it is doing. I would love to snag a picture of a comet!

• BFaucett likes this

#292 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:35 AM

jlandy, you can get some information and see some amateur images at the Facebook page of the pro-am comet project at https://www.facebook.../ThePACAProject. They'll be posting more images soon, I believe. This is about all the comet stuff going on lately so there's some about Rosetta and others but the Mars encounter will be taking over, I'm sure, as closest encounter looms.

#293 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't know this comet would be a viable target. The estimated magnitude right now is a bit low I think to get a good picture, but I'll keep an eye on it as we approach sunday to see what it is doing. I would love to snag a picture of a comet!

You're welcome!  :waytogo:  Yeah, the predicted mag of 10 may be a little too dim but I hope you get a chance to give it a try.  And, if possible, having Mars and a comet in the same photo would be very cool!  (I don't know if the OneSky's FOV will do that.)

Cheers!

-Bob F. :)

#294 jlandy

jlandy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

Unfortunately the comet passed behind my neighbors house before I got a good look at it... I did manage to snag this one though - M45, the Pleiades! 

Attached Files

• Abhat likes this

#295 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 06:22 PM

Yeah, too bad about the comet.  WOW, that's a great photo of the Pleiades!  I love how the Pleiades looks in photos.  It just seems to sparkle like diamonds.

-Bob F.  :waytogo: :)

#296 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted Today, 01:08 PM

That photo is a gem, very nice indeed, well done that sir, :bow:  DA.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics