482 replies to this topic

#476 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:38 PM

I don't know too many companies whose president gets as involved, and goes out of their way for an individual as much as you do Mike... it is quite appreciated!

Most non-profit presidents have more staff. :grin: But I enjoy this. It was my idea to create the OneSky forum on our store. And of course I volunteered to monitor and moderate.

Maybe I'm dense as far as business go but I don't get it when customer service is bad. That's like advertising "Don't shop here." But more than that, haven't the bad customer service people had to deal with the same things themselves? Maybe it's just us non-profit feel-good do-gooders who empathize. Oh well.

Mike

• jlandy and BFaucett like this

#477 DaydreamPhotography

DaydreamPhotography

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 PM

I got home tonight to cloudy skies so I'll have to try it tomorrow.  So excited!!!

No worries... That's just the way it goes. I have been dealing with lousy weather FOR MANY MONTHS down here in southeast Texas.  :undecided:

I'm glad you're excited about your new scope.   :waytogo:   Just hang in there,,, Weather conditions will improve.  I truly believe that you're gonna love your new OneSky telescope.  :waytogo:

Sincerely,

-Bob F.  :)

It was so cloudy tonight at sunset I figured it'd be a loss, but I went out at about 10pm and sure enough the skies cleared up enough for me to use it.  Very happy with it!

• BFaucett likes this

#478 DaydreamPhotography

DaydreamPhotography

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

That's amazing!  It's so nice to see significant others go to such amazing lengths for each other.  That was really sweet.  Nerds and dorks and geeks are cool in my book!  Haha... way to go!

It was a lot of fun. She was really taken aback. After a few seconds she said she'd look at it later rather than spend the time during totality, which was entirely appropriate.

BTW, just got the scope, unpacked it and checked out the tension valve and all, works perfectly!  Haven't tested the RDF just yet, because I gotta go to a Christmas party at work, but I will say this... compared to how the other one was packaged and how this one was, I am going to definitely have to say that the previous one had a former owner.  The plastic bag didn't have a rubber band like this one.  I definitely think it was pre-owned.  May have been a return that they just didn't quality check and sent out again, and it happens.  I worked at Wally World, I know how that goes.  Heck, even at Toys R Us when video games came back, they'd just re-shrink wrap it.  This one seems to be in perfect condition.  I just did a quick check but I'll be out tonight working with it after the party so I'll do a full review of it later.

I agree it seems to have been opened and used (and abused). I don't know how it could be a return since returns go to SkyWatcher. Celestron just gets the new ones from the factory. But something happened with this one.

I just wanted to say, thanks again.  So pleased with your customer service.  On the ball!  Tell your boss I said to give you a raise ;)

Thanks, but I'm afraid that won't work. I'm the boss. :)

Since we're a non-profit doing this for fundraising -- the OneSky with the immense help of Celestron -- and not a store, with just a few items available online, the people who handle the online store aren't sales people and don't know anything about astronomy. So I answer questions about the items we have in the store and follow threads like this, which is one of the fun things I get to do. :) But everyone does try hard to handle the occassional glitches that come up. Being an amateur astronomer for 40+ years I really hate to see things go wrong, especially with first-timers.

Well then, give yourself the raise ;)  And what a doll!  Sounds like you found the right one!

• MSimmons likes this

#479 DaydreamPhotography

DaydreamPhotography

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 11:13 PM

Well, tonight was my first night with the newly sent out OneSky, and I was only out there for about 45 minutes, but I had a blast.  I was waiting on Jupiter to rise and so I had a blast looking at the Orion Nebula (always one of my first go-to targets) and used Sirius to help match up my RDF.  Works like a charm.  Man, that RDF is awesome when it's lined up properly.  But doh! As I'm sitting here I remembered I accidentally left it on and had to run into the other room and turn it off.  I can tell I'm going to need to buy backup batteries for that in the dozens, lol!  But I got it lined up and it's working great.

I do totally get what you're saying about the focuser being a little bit of a pain to twist.  I think somebody suggested Olive Oil... is that ok to use on it or will it eventually crust up?  If there's another kind of oil I can snag at Lowes let me know.  Whatever's the best for long term use.

I kept trying to find all the Messier objects but I honestly have no clue what I'm looking at.  M42 is obviously easy because it's in Orion's sword, but I couldn't find any other object similar to it where my sky map told me to look.  I may have seen it but just didn't know what I was looking at.  It might have something to do with me being in the city with lights all around.  I'd have to drive about 25 minutes away to get anywhere near dark, and trust me, after doing that during the Geminid meteor shower and hearing the wolves howl all around me, it's not somewhere I want to be alone.  I did it last weekend because it was special, but throwing a camera in the car when you hear the howl of wolves about a mile away is simple and quick compared to a telescope with eyepieces and gadgets and gizmos, lol!  Let's just say though, that was the fastest I've ever gotten in my car at any time in my life, haha!  And I still didn't get one photo of a meteor :(

Finally Jupiter came up and I put in the 10mm and was floored.  I had tried a different table this time and there was less shake, and I could see the storm patterns!!!  I can't wait to get a Barlow!!!  I was floored.  I could just make them out.  Couldn't tell you where the red spot was but it was amazing to see that!

So again Mike, I can't thank you enough!  I am one happy gal!  I just wish I wasn't the only person apparently in my city that was into astronomy.  There is no astronomy club near me, and there is one park that does put on an astronomy night, but it's rare.  Even the nearest observatory is at least 1-3 hours away from me :(  But I'll keep looking.

All in all though, this one definitely gets a thumbs up.  Really happy with it.  Will definitely recommend it to anyone looking to buy one!

• jlandy and BFaucett like this

#480 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted Yesterday, 11:35 PM

So again Mike, I can't thank you enough!  I am one happy gal!  I just wish I wasn't the only person apparently in my city that was into astronomy.  There is no astronomy club near me, and there is one park that does put on an astronomy night, but it's rare.  Even the nearest observatory is at least 1-3 hours away from me :(  But I'll keep looking.

Well, that's an improvement!

There are clubs all over so maybe there's one you don't know about. Astronomers look just like normal people during the day. :grin:

If there isn't a club then start one. I can guarantee there are others interested in astronomy near you, and some might have been looking for a club, too. I had lunch with a professional astronomer from Ethiopia today and he started a club at his university and found others in his physics program who, like him, were in physics because there was no astronomy program in Ethiopia. Put something in a local paper or set up on the sidewalk to share the views with people. You'll find them.

• jlandy, BFaucett and DaydreamPhotography like this

#481 Abhat

Abhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted Today, 07:37 AM

Man, that RDF is awesome when it's lined up properly.  But doh! As I'm sitting here I remembered I accidentally left it on and had to run into the other room and turn it off.  I can tell I'm going to need to buy backup batteries for that in the dozens, lol!  But I got it lined up and it's working great.

I do totally get what you're saying about the focuser being a little bit of a pain to twist.  I think somebody suggested Olive Oil... is that ok to use on it or will it eventually crust up?  If there's another kind of oil I can snag at Lowes let me know.  Whatever's the best for long term use.

I can't wait to get a Barlow!!!  

I accidentally leave RDF on 50% of the time. No big deal. Those last long and you can buy a strip 10 batteries from Amazon for few bucks.

Do no use oil in the focuser. It will fall on secondary and primary and can mess up things real bad. Also the oil can get on your hands and EPs. You can try at your own risk a very thick grease like Super Lube Synthetic.

Barlow is a must for this scope.  With included EP you can go only up to 65X. This scope can easily go up 130x-200X. Get a 2X Barlow. Those routinely come up for about $15 on CN Classifieds. 

Go through jlandy's instruction on the dew shield. I may sound like a broken record but I can't emphasize enough the benefits of that 99 cent foam sheet from Michaels. It is absolute must. It improves contrast ten folds, prevents dew and prevents mirrors getting dirty. I was so much in love with that foam sheet that I was going to recommend to Mike that they should a include pack of four in the original delivery with jlandy's DIY instructions.

• DaydreamPhotography likes this

#482 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

Go through jlandy's instruction on the dew shield. I may sound like a broken record but I can't emphasize enough the benefits of that 99 cent foam sheet from Michaels. It is absolute must. It improves contrast ten folds, prevents dew and prevents mirrors getting dirty. I was so much in love with that foam sheet that I was going to recommend to Mike that they should a include pack of four in the original delivery with jlandy's DIY instructions.

I've talked to a couple manufacturers about making a shroud for the OneSky as an accessory we can offer. Cloth shrouds that are stretched around the rails don't work like they do on larger truss-tube scopes, though, because there are only two rails. I've seen people make loose cloth shrouds. But the foam ones like some have done here seem to work great, and I agree we should offer some DIY instructions for them. Maybe not with free material added but an online source for it would suffice. So it's on the to-do list.

#483 SteveG

SteveG

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted Today, 12:14 PM

Good report daydream, I'm glad you now have a working scope!

Sounds like you got a pretty good view of Jupiter. A Barlow will be very useful, but just remember that as you increase the power the resolution will go down.

You probably had some Messier objects in the eyepiece, but many of them are invisible from the city. I would be looking for a new viewing spot outside the city where you can feel safe, or better yet bring a friend and you'll be much more comfortable.

The best way to deal with the focuser is to apply some heavy grease to the threads. The grease will take up the slack in the threads, and make the turning of the focuser silky smooth. I added this grease to mine about 2 years ago and it still works very well. You would need to get it at a hardware store, and it should be available in a small tube.

• BFaucett likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics