CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#751 jlandy

jlandy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

Glad to help! That kind of thing is exactly why this thread started

• howard929 and BFaucett like this

#752 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:33 AM

I had to crank the adjustment knob of the red dot finder all the way to the limit in one axis to align it.  I found that the cause was that the plastic piece that supports it is not parallel to the scope body.  The finder sits too close to the body anyway, so I'm going to try to make an adapter to raise it about an inch.

The focuser felt rough and sloppy to me.  I put some Chapstick on the threads and it feels smooth now.  Chapstick is waxier than grease and not as messy.  It even smells good.

The RDF seems to be that way. Mine is also cranked in all the way. You may also want to explore attaching a vixen style base and 9X50 Right Angle Finder to the OTA. Some have done it already and there are instructions out there somewhere in this thread. Use the RDF to get in the ball park and finder to center it. Also finder helps you find fainter objects faster without having to switch too much back and forth between Wide Field and High Power Eyepieces.

I am not  a fan of grease. But, I like the idea of chapstick. I am going to try that out.

• rnc39560 and BFaucett like this

#753 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:02 AM

Glad to help! That kind of thing is exactly why this thread started

And why it continues!

• rnc39560 and BFaucett like this

#754 dwheels

dwheels

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Orange county, Calif.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:25 PM

Last night there was a break in the rain clouds long enough for me to try out my new OneSky on Jupiter and the moon.  Wow!  It's great.  With my GoScope I can make out bands on Jupiter if I place a 60mm mask on the front to limit CA.  With the OneSky, the bands are obvious.  The moon is also much sharper.  With the 10mm eyepiece and 2x Barlow, the image is crisp and clear.  I love the helical focuser, it's very precise with no backlash.  I'm a happy camper.

Don

• SteveG, howard929, rnc39560 and 4 others like this

#755 dwheels

dwheels

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Does the one sky need much cool down time?  I've been reading that Newtonians need to cool down to get clear images.  I expect it's mainly a problem with larger mirrors.  Does the 5 inch one sky mirror take very long to stabilize?  For instance, if I brought it from a 70 degree room to 50 degrees outside, is 20 minutes long enough?  Would I really notice anything if I just started to use it right off?

Thanks,

Don

#756 SouthernOracle

SouthernOracle

Sputnik

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

One more question as I wait for my scope to arrive.  Since this is an F5 scope, should it appear to have an offset when collimating as shown for the "fast scope" on this collimation guide?

http://www.astro-bab...ation guide.htm

I've collimated slow Newtonians, but I've never had one this fast before so I wanted to make sure before starting out.  The collimation picture from jlandy on the first page of this thread doesn't appear to be offset, but there are no crosshairs in the picture so I can't be sure.

Edit: I also found this site (http://www.lcas-astr...gory=telescopes) that says offsetting the secondary is unnecessary as long as the secondary is large enough to intercept the entire light cone.  So now I have no idea which one to use.  Offset or normal?

Edited by SouthernOracle, 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#757 havasman

havasman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:11 PM

Does the one sky need much cool down time?  I've been reading that Newtonians need to cool down to get clear images.  I expect it's mainly a problem with larger mirrors.  Does the 5 inch one sky mirror take very long to stabilize?  For instance, if I brought it from a 70 degree room to 50 degrees outside, is 20 minutes long enough?  Would I really notice anything if I just started to use it right off?

Thanks,

Don

Don,

There's minimal mass in the OneSky mirror. It cools pretty quickly. Once mirror temp equals ambient, it tracks the temp changes pretty closely. So it has no fan.

I often use mine with cooldown time = setup time. Let us know what you notice.

Simplicity and ease of use are part of its charm.

• BFaucett and dwheels like this

#758 havasman

havasman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

One more question as I wait for my scope to arrive.  Since this is an F5 scope, should it appear to have an offset 

Any offset calculated for this scope would probably be smaller than useful.

• SouthernOracle and dwheels like this

#759 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanks,

Don

Cool down time depends on the difference inside and outside.  It will not an issue in California. On very cold days my AWB without a fan takes decent amount of time to cool. As much as my 8" Dob that has a fan. I purchased a USB powered laptop fan for $10 that I attach to a battery pack I already own and that accelerates cooling.

However I do not use the fan as much.  I use it only when I am in a hurry or I plan to do high power planetary observing. Most of the times I grab it and plop it on my deck and hour before I want to observe and that is good enough.

This scope is very easy to collimate using the Cheshire eyepiece provided. Do not overthink collimation. If you can see all three mirror clips and primary donut is in the center you are good to go.

Before I go for Jupiter i always try split nearby Castor in Gemini. If you can see two steady sharp dots then your scope is ready for the big daddy Jupiter.

Edited by Abhat, 02 March 2015 - 03:25 PM.

• howard929, SouthernOracle and dwheels like this

#760 dwheels

dwheels

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I've never been able to split Castor with my little GoScope.  I'll give it a try with the OneSky tonight, weather permitting. 

Don

#761 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

Please start with 130X or more for Castor. You will need to barlow your 10mm Eye Piece. If you can split castor easily then try Beta Mon triple. If you can split the B&C with your AWB then your scope is in ultimate shape.

• howard929 likes this

#762 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

Took out my AWB for Jupiter shadow trasnit today instead of C102. Made some minor collimation adjustment.

AWB is cracking 210X showing Ganymede, its shadow and GRS simulteneously. Wow what a scope.

• havasman, OrdinaryLight and BFaucett like this

#763 dwheels

dwheels

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:39 PM

I saw the shadow too!  At first I thought it might be just a floater in my eye, so I had my son verify it was there.  I didn't know it was a shadow, I thought it was a silhouette.  But, it was very clear with the 10mm and 2x barlow.  I couldn't make out the great spot.  A better eyepiece might make a difference.  But then my eyesight isn't so great either.  I came back later and saw two of the moons merge and the shadow had moved to the left.

Castor was an easy split once I was able to align on it.  It does look like car headlights.  I've got to get something better than the red dot finder.  Objects at high angles are impossible.  Lying on the ground isn't going to hack it.

Don

• rnc39560, havasman, Abhat and 2 others like this

#764 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:49 AM

I'd recommend low power viewing for the first 20 min or so while it cools if you use right away. All scopes benefit from thermal equalization, but low power views are less critical and should be able to be had right after setup. Nebulae will hold up better images than planetary or higher powered lunar views until the scope has been out for a little while. I would think about 30 min tops if mild temp changes from inside the house to outside, then you can start cranking up power to see where the atmosphere's stability will cap you.

This darn weather here is nothing but clouds and rain lately, but I'm chomping at the bit for my coworker to get his OneSky out for a good long session. I think I'm as excited as he is about his new purchase.

:)

#765 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Thanks,

Don

FWIW, bringing it outside with a 60 degree temp drop I give it 2 hours for no reason other then I have somewhere safe to place it and to be sure.

Edited by howard929, 03 March 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#766 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

One more question as I wait for my scope to arrive.  Since this is an F5 scope, should it appear to have an offset when collimating as shown for the "fast scope" on this collimation guide?

http://www.astro-bab...ation guide.htm

I've collimated slow Newtonians, but I've never had one this fast before so I wanted to make sure before starting out.  The collimation picture from jlandy on the first page of this thread doesn't appear to be offset, but there are no crosshairs in the picture so I can't be sure.

Edit: I also found this site (http://www.lcas-astr...gory=telescopes) that says offsetting the secondary is unnecessary as long as the secondary is large enough to intercept the entire light cone.  So now I have no idea which one to use.  Offset or normal?

The telescope I received had the proper off-set right out of the box. Not that it matters one bit. The off-set is not a goal of collimation, we don't tweak the off-set,  it's automatic provided the secondary is center/round under the focuser. Once that is set, the off-set is as well.

Edited by howard929, 03 March 2015 - 07:51 AM.

• havasman likes this

#767 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hello Mike Simmons,

I just attempted to provide a link for a telescope recco to someone here (as I ALWAYS do) and find that the OneSky is no longer listed on the AWB web site. I feel abandoned. Say it ain't so and they'll be back.

Edited by howard929, 03 March 2015 - 09:04 AM.

#768 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:19 AM

I just attempted to provide a link for a telescope recco to someone here (as I ALWAYS do) and find that the OneSky is no longer listed on the AWB web site. I feel abandoned. Say it ain't so and they'll be back.

It ain't so!

Our inventory shows them as out of stock so the store automatically disabled the page. There are some that have been on the way, and I think they're probably there already. The store manager put the page back up with the note that they are temporarily out of stock. We should know within a day if we have some, or when we will, and get the ordering process going again.

Mike

#769 howard929

howard929

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

The Universe has returned and I am whole again. Thank you Mike.

• MSimmons and jlandy like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics