CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
877 replies to this topic

#876 Mike_

Mike_

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:32 PM

Yes, I use the Stellarium app as well and enjoy it but it doesn't:

Give me a printed list of all the objects:

..of the type I want

..that are visible with my scope, my ep's, my moon phase, my LP

..that are best seen in the time period I am out there

..that are much better seen at another day/time (moon issues, near horizon issues, etc)

..etc., etc.

..with printed sky charts of exactly how the thing is going to look naked-eye, in my finder, and in my scope, with each an inset into the other, flipped as necessary,  pretty much eliminating the need to do much star-hopping

sheesh, I sound like I work for these people.      

Edited by Mike_, 25 March 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#877 azoic

azoic

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Lugano

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 AM

hm maybe I overread it but my favourite in terms of software is sky safari (around 4€/USD/...) in its basic form which is, for a start, certainly evnough. I went on and purchased the pro version because I liked it so much.

you can get

...list of objects and protocols for observation sessions

...custom field of views for different combinations of scopes/eyepieces/...

...predictions and "whats-hot-today" list with stuff visible to you

I loved it and it honestly it helped me a lot to learn the skies until I was able to navigate myself in the most basic terms.

btw while it exists on mobile and desktop i prefer the mobile version since it is also usually more advanced than the desktop counter part

#878 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: S.E. PA, USA

Posted Today, 01:05 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to astronomy and just wanted to pop in here to say thank you for all the great information in this thread.  I took the time to read through all the pages and it's really quite impressive what you all have done with that small scope.  I learned a bit about eyepieces here, too, and I'm inspired to try and get this scope sometime in the near future.

I particularly enjoy the astrophotos, jlandy!

• BFaucett likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics