CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#976 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas / 29° 46' N

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

I believe some very turbulant skies robbed me of some clarity, but I got enough of Venus tonight to show her phase!

UzOOWo3.png

Most excellent! Thanks for posting and sharing that photo.  :waytogo:  I can see that I'm going to have to get my OneSky out to take a look a Venus.  Oh, but, there is only one small problem...   Dang cloudy skies!!! :(

-Bob F.

• rnc39560 likes this

#977 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

Similar conditions for Saturn later in the night.  I'll have to post these in B&II and get some tips, because as much as I enjoy my latest round of captures, I bet this little-scope-that-could can do better!

h0Hzgv7.png

• SteveG, rnc39560, havasman and 1 other like this

#978 CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Just reporting back, the velcro on the dew/light shield works really well.  I'll try to get some pictures up later.

• jlandy and Stevenmrvl like this

#979 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

Big relief on your neck too!

For me, a RACI is not a big relief on the neck. I still need a red-dot finder to point the RACI, so I end up bending my neck anyway. A handful of people can point a RACI "blind," just by feel and guesswork, but that's a pretty rare skill.

The advantage of the RACI is simply that it's easier to star-hop through the 6-degree field of view of a typical 8x50 finderscope than through the 2-degree field of view of the OneSky with its 25-mm eyepiece.

I understand the finder has a much larger FOV, and easier starhopping, but I have almost always pointed almost straight to the area I intended to look at. Then star hop using the RACI to the exact point. I've tried the red dot finders and had no use really. I ddidn't realize it was a rare skill to simply point close enough to only use the RACI. No sarcasm Tony, I just thought that's what most do. Maybe since I have a pinched nerve and despise bending my neck, I "feel" as you put it, through the practice of using only the RACI. 

#980 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

Oh, I occasionally have a GLP to assist as well. Big help (to me). The combo saves me great discomfort with ANY scope. Nice pics too! Congrats! 

#981 paulymo

paulymo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted Yesterday, 08:56 PM

I just finished reading all 40 pages of this thread and I'm going to be buying this scope for myself very soon--it sounds like a much better fit for me than my current scope. I tried to keep a running list of mods, eyepiece recs, and accessories (I don't do AP so I only kept track of items for visual observing) and since I haven't seen anyone post a AWB OneSky tips/tricks recap yet, maybe that can be my contribution to this truly incredible thread.

OneSky scope mods
----------------------------

1. Tighten up the slight bit of play in the focuser and make it feel smoother.  Suggested options have been to grease the threads with wheel bearing or white lithium grease, wrap some Teflon tape on the threads, or apply Chapstick or other wax to the threads (my personal favorite).
  2. Build and attach a light shroud/dew shield that can fit inside the OTA when collapsed.  The two most popular options have been SteveG's Krydex/rivet shroud solution (get the Krydex from Scopestuff) and jlandy's foam sheet/hot glue solution (get the foam sheets from Michaels).  CyberCowboy has successfully used velcro to attach the foam version to the OTA as a less permanent alternative to hot glue.
  3. For better stability at higher mags, put the 7.5 lb OTA on a solid mount that can take a Vixen dovetail (such as the Vixen Porta II, CG-4, etc.) or build a nice sturdy stand from scrap lumber.
  4. Attach a more ergonomic finder to the lower OTA tube.  Most recommended options have been a RACI finder or a green laser pointer in a holder.
  5. Blacken the edges of the secondary mirror with ultra flat black paint.
  6. Put crosshairs on the bottom of the included cheshire tool using thread or thin metal guitar string and some glue.
  7. Attach the single loose screw that comes in the telescope's box into the threaded hole at the top of the dovetail as a safety catch in case the tube wasn't tightly clamped into the dovetail saddle.  (Not really a mod so much as explaining what the heck that screw is for.)

Carrying Case for the OTA

-------------------------------------

1. Vivitar RGC-12 camcorder soft sided carry case
  2. Craftsman Large Mouth Tool Bag
  3. Dewalt 24 in. 1 Touch Tool Box

Eyepieces that work well in this scope
----------------------------------------
Wide Fields with good reported results:

• Orion Expanse line
  • Celeston X-Cel LX line
  • Russell Optics Konigs (specifically the 6.7mm, 14mm, and 19mm)
  • Tele Vue 13mm Nagler Type 6
  • Explore Scientific 68 degree 24mm (mentioned by several people)
  • Explore Scientific 82 degree 6.7mm

Other:

• Celestron 8-24mm zoom
  • Orion or Celestron 2x Shorty Barlow
  • Meade 3x barlow

Eyepieces that DON'T work well - focus travel issues
----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Williams Optical 8-24 zoom (I assume this is the Long Perng clone and would apply to fellow clones from Proxima and Parks)
  • Meade 2x shorty

Hopefully I didn't miss too much and people find it helpful instead of hunting through 40 pages to find some of the links.  The last part made me very sad to write as the only barlow I own is the Meade shorty and my zoom is the Parks Silver (fellow Long Perng clone of the WO zoom).  Guess I'll stick to fixed length plossls for now and then pick up some wider view EPs as I can.

- Pauly

Edited by paulymo, Yesterday, 09:01 PM.

• Oscar56, rnc39560 and BFaucett like this

#982 Oscar56

Oscar56

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted Today, 04:42 AM

Thanks Paulymo.

My SkyWatcher 130 will arrive tomorrow and I was not looking forward to scrolling through 40 pages to find these details. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics