CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
1073 replies to this topic

#1051 mauka

mauka

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Oahu, Hawaii

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:45 PM

Big Mahalo Mike,

Made my weekend knowing the OneSky is on the way.  You didn't have to take the time but I'm so glad you did.

No complaints here!   :D

Alan

Edited by mauka, 15 May 2015 - 11:55 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#1052 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: S.E. PA, USA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:59 AM

What are thoughts on this particular barlow (Explore Scientific 1.25" 2X) to be used with the OneSky?

http://agenaastro.co...w-fe02-125.html

I'm also curious if using a standard barlow (one of the $30 deals, or a "short focus") would undermine the performance of a wide-field optic later on, like the ES 68's and 82's or the Naglers discussed here.

Edited by cosmodweller, 16 May 2015 - 05:41 AM.

#1053 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

What are thoughts on this particular barlow (Explore Scientific 1.25" 2X) to be used with the OneSky?

I'm also curious if using a standard barlow (one of the $30 deals, or a "short focus") would undermine the performance of a wide-field optic later on, like the ES 68's and 82's or the Naglers discussed here.

That Barlow is too expensive. You can buy a lot more for that price. I use this Barlow that comes integrated with T-Threads.  Celestron X-Cel EP are high quality well corrected EPs that work nicely this scope. You can buy those new on Amazon or BH Photo for about $50.

#1054 jlandy

jlandy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

That Barlow is too expensive. You can buy a lot more for that price. I use this Barlow that comes integrated with T-Threads.  Celestron X-Cel EP are high quality well corrected EPs that work nicely this scope. You can buy those new on Amazon or BH Photo for about $50.

I agree with Abhat - I have the celestron 2x barlow and no complaints about it.

#1055 dwheels

dwheels

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange county, Calif.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

While recollimating my AWB, I noticed that the secondary mirror is glued on to the support a bit crooked.

diagonal

Will this affect the scope's performance?  Can I still achieve best collimation?  Should I try to cut it off and re-glue?  Should I contact AWB about it?

I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your inputs.

Don

#1056 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:17 AM

I agree with Abhat - I have the celestron 2x barlow and no complaints about it.

Thanks for the recommendation.  It's just odd that the specs for that Celestron unit don't mention anything at all about the optics used in the barlow.  Maybe it's worth shooting Celestron an e-mail just to see if that barlow is at least multi-coated and whether it corrects for aberrations.

I'm assuming it's not a "short focus" or "shorty" barlow because it doesn't say so.  I think others in this thread have suggested the Orion Shorty as one option.  Do you know if that's a hard requirement?  Are there situations where a normal length barlow just won't focus on the OneSky?

Apologies for beating a dead horse, guys.  I do appreciate the feedback :)

Edited by cosmodweller, 17 May 2015 - 07:52 PM.

#1057 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mechanicsburg, PA

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

I can't speak to the details of that T-adapter barlow other than the fact that I have that one as well, and am happy with it's performance at the price point.  I'd imagine "diminishing returns" plays into buying expensive optics for such a small scope (but I may be wrong!).

Edited by GoldSpider, 17 May 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#1058 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

While recollimating my AWB, I noticed that the secondary mirror is glued on to the support a bit crooked.

Will this affect the scope's performance?  Can I still achieve best collimation?  Should I try to cut it off and re-glue?  Should I contact AWB about it?

I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your inputs.

Don

Its still at 45 degrees relative to the mirror mount, just rotate it 'til it's center/round under the focuser as usual. 

• rnc39560 likes this

#1059 jlandy

jlandy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:14 PM

I agree with Howard, I don't think it'll affect the performance after collimation

#1060 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:33 AM

The ES Focal Extenders, like the TeleVue Powermates, are telecentrics and behave a bit differently from a barlow. I have the 2x and 3x and like most ES eyepieces they are excellent performers.

• cosmodweller likes this

#1061 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:13 PM

Well I was hoping to have an exciting "first light" report, but wouldn't you know it... cloudy day, seeing is bad, and there's a new moon.  Of course!

I had to remove my glasses to get close enough to see through the pinhole on the collimation tool.  I hope the circles are really lined up as well as I think they are  :grin:  Anyway, I'm guessing that perfection isn't a requirement here.

A word of caution regarding setup of the red dot finder: don't read the instructions literally (or at least, don't follow them blindly).  They tell you to open the battery compartment just by prying it apart.  Well that doesn't work;  there's actually a small set screw on the underside that needs to be removed first.  I figured it out, just not in time :lol:

I went outside anyway and spent only about 15 minutes trying to see anything.  I didn't get anything at all in the viewfinder, but I did notice something very strange.  I was seeing a lot of waviness in the eye piece, like a water rippling effect  :confused:   Is that just the atmosphere, or do I need medical evaluation?

#1062 havasman

havasman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:50 PM

You may or may not need eval but that was the sea of air. Some or much of it could have been thermals on top of the primary mirror that hadn't quite cooled.

• jlandy and cosmodweller like this

#1063 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

Some or much of it could have been thermals on top of the primary mirror that hadn't quite cooled.

Aha, I should have known.  I read so much about that before yesterday but it all went out the window in the excitement.

• havasman likes this

#1064 havasman

havasman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:53 AM

Some or much of it could have been thermals on top of the primary mirror that hadn't quite cooled.

Aha, I should have known.  I read so much about that before yesterday but it all went out the window in the excitement.

If you have time next time, you can continue to observe and watch that turbulent layer vanish as the view stabilizes with temperature equalization. Then you know for sure.

#1065 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:01 PM

I purchased a USB Powered fan that I power with rechargeable battery pack that I already owned. I attached it with the rubber bands to the back. It helps cool down the mirror much faster helping high power planetary views stabilize quickly.

http://www.amazon.co...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1066 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

I wanted to share a very nice tool I found as I'm sure other beginners and OneSky shoppers/owners would find it useful to compare various eye pieces and see a visual representation of the true field-of-view (TFOV).  I think this also helps to set expectations for magnification.  The formulas for calculating this are simple, but seeing it in numbers is one thing and seeing it in pictures is something else! 

This also gives exit pupill (EP) diameters and allows for adding barlows.

They don't have the OneSky in the catalog, but you can select "Sky-watcher - Heritage 130p" as it's the same scope.  Alternatively, you can use the scope specs (Focal length: 650mm, Aperture: 130mm).

If the particular eye piece you want isn't listed, you can enter its focal length and apparent field-of-view (AFOV) manually from the specs.

http://astronomy.too.../field_of_view/

As an example, here are the views you can expect with the stock eye pieces that come with the OneSky, which I believe are the Sky-watcher SUPER MA 25mm and 10mm. 

The moon through OneSky + stock EP's @ 25mm, 10mm

SMA25_moon.png  SMA10_moon.png

M45 (Pleiades) through OneSky + stock EP's @ 25mm, 10mm

SMA25_M45pleiades.png  SMA10_M45pleiades.png

Jupiter through OneSky + stock EP's @ 25mm, 10mm

SMA25_jupiter.png  SMA10_jupiter.png

Jupiter w/ 2X Barlow through OneSky + stock 10mm (mag. 130X)

SMA10_jupiter_2x.png

Jupiter w/ 3X Barlow through OneSky + stock 10mm (mag. 195x)

SMA10_jupiter_3x.png

!! JUST FOR FUN  !!

Jupiter w/ 5X Barlow + stock 10mm EP (mag. 325X)

This is either at the fringe edges or beyond the scope's theoretical limits...

SMA10_jupiter_5x.png

:)

• rnc39560, Abhat, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#1067 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:21 AM

A good amount of processing with Registax went into this very lucky shot of Neptune(!!), but I tried to keep it true to my actual view (no artificial colors or flavors!).  I'm looking forward to taking another crack at this with more friendly skies and a remote camera control for my iPhone, but here is a 1 second exposure I took through my 10mm EP.  Next time I think I'll try taking a video and stacking, like I have been with my QuickCam and see if I get any better color (not sure why I didn't think of that this morning).

gKFwz4C.png

#1068 mauka

mauka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 02:55 AM

Great photo GoldSpider! 

Had my First good night out with my new AWB OneSky.  I was surprised to see the moon for about 20 minutes before it "set" below the ridge.  Turned to Jupiter, to Saturn, and then back to Jupiter.  

Thrilled to see four of the Jovian moons using the  stock 10mm.  Photo is handheld iPhone (no photo, didn't happen..)  Throughly enjoyable hour in the backyard.

Jupiter 4 Moons 20150520

Edited by mauka, 21 May 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#1069 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:22 AM

Great photo GoldSpider! 

Had my First good night out with my new AWB OneSky.  I was surprised to see the moon for about 20 minutes before it "set" below the ridge.  Turned to Jupiter, to Saturn, and then back to Jupiter.  

Thrilled to see four of the Jovian moons using the  stock 10mm.  Photo is handheld iPhone (no photo, didn't happen..)  Throughly enjoyable hour in the backyard.

Thanks!  The first time I pointed my OneSky at Jupiter and saw what you saw, I was hooked! 

I came up with a REALLY cheap way to get my iPhone into the game, using a cheap-o plastic case and a plastic bottle cap (Minute Maid juice bottle turned out to be the best size).  If you're on a budget like I am, there are a lot of things you can do with this scope to get your money's worth!  This thread has a lot of good information, so I'd recommend reading every page as time permits!

• jlandy likes this

#1070 mauka

mauka

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

I came up with a REALLY cheap way to get my iPhone into the game, using a cheap-o plastic case and a plastic bottle cap (Minute Maid juice bottle turned out to be the best size).  If you're on a budget like I am, there are a lot of things you can do with this scope to get your money's worth!

I can picture what you're doing, time to search for a bargain bid case.  I noticed the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 in your sig - I have a couple of webcams lurking around, how are you using yours?

Alan

Edited by mauka, 21 May 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#1071 cosmodweller

cosmodweller

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:50 AM

What % transmission moon filters are you all using with the OneSky?  I've seen as dark as 13% and as light as 50%.  Also seen the variable polarizer types that go as low as 40%.

Is 5" enough aperture to use with the polarizer?  Some sites suggest 6" and up.

Other sites suggest a light yellow filter instead for smaller aperture scopes.

Edited by cosmodweller, 21 May 2015 - 12:02 PM.

#1072 Abhat

Abhat

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

I don't use filter on moon at all. I prefer unfiltered pristine white views. Your pupil adjusts automatically to handle that extra brightness.  Usually I don't observe DSOs when observing the moon. But if I have to I use the other eye which is still dark adapted.

• havasman likes this

#1073 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 03:33 PM

I came up with a REALLY cheap way to get my iPhone into the game, using a cheap-o plastic case and a plastic bottle cap (Minute Maid juice bottle turned out to be the best size).  If you're on a budget like I am, there are a lot of things you can do with this scope to get your money's worth!

I can picture what you're doing, time to search for a bargain bid case.  I noticed the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 in your sig - I have a couple of webcams lurking around, how are you using yours?

Alan

When I bought the cam off eBay, I bought an adapter for it that is very easy to install (basicaly remove the lens from the camera and screw in the adapter) which allows you to just slide into the focuser/barlow.  The 4000 is mentioned very frequently in bargain astrophotography circles (as is the Philips TuoCam) since it has a relatively higher quality (compared to its contemporaries) CCD sensor compared to the less-sensitive CMOS censors that most other cams at the time had.  

I use a free program called SharpCap to take the videos, focusing with the target on-screen and recording at 10-15 FPS while letting the target drift across the view.  Pause the recording, adjust the scope to reset the target, and resume recording.  Repeat until you have about 2000 frames recorded.  

After I have my video, I use another (free) program called PIPP to align the video, centering the target.  By default it trims the video to the best 1200 frames (this is usually enough for me).  Then I open the aligned video in another (free) program called AutoStakkert, which stacks the frames into a single image (TIFF is preferred).  Then I do most post-processing in Registax.

I could go into more detail on these, but there are MUCH better guides/resources out there to explain the process more thoroughly.  I hope this brief overview is helpful.

#1074 DaydreamPhotography

DaydreamPhotography

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

Wow, you guys have posted a lot!  I haven't been here in awhile because of some family and personal issues.  My mother passed away almost a month ago and things have been chaotic for a few months here.  I haven't even touched the scope or the thing jlandy made for me yet.  Right after I got that everything went to heck in a hand basket so I've been a little preoccupied and it's probably going to be that way for another month or so.  But I did want to thank him again for it, and hopefully I will be able to get everything set up as soon as possible.  I hope you all are doing fine.  Thanks again, you guys have been awesome!!!

• jlandy and mauka like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics