•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
1799 replies to this topic

#1526 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

i would refrain from the zoom eyepiece for AP (though it's my goto for visual), the easiest thing to do is slide the secondary closer to the primary on it's rails (just dont extend it out all of the way). A 2x barlow will work too, but it will make your field of view much smaller

• ghostboo likes this

#1527 SteveG

SteveG

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:40 PM

Try pushing the truss in a little, and tightening the truss knobs. This will bring the focuser closer to the mirror, solving you inward focus problem.

• ghostboo likes this

#1528 gsingle

gsingle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

Ahhhh, great idea. Once the weather cooperates I'll give it a try. Thanks!

#1529 gsingle

gsingle

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 25 January 2016 - 02:51 AM

I tried adjusting the truss and it worked great. Was able to snag this one once the clouds finally cleared out. My head is already swarming with ideas to make it better.

Moon1

• SteveG, havasman, jlandy and 3 others like this

#1530 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:29 AM

I tried adjusting the truss and it worked great. Was able to snag this one once the clouds finally cleared out. My head is already swarming with ideas to make it better.

And the OneSky snares another victim!

Edited by GoldSpider, 25 January 2016 - 07:29 AM.

• howard929, jlandy and CyberCowboy like this

#1531 CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy

Explorer 1

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

And the OneSky snares another victim!

OneSky is the true GoldSpider....

#1532 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 02 February 2016 - 11:08 PM

Last night turned out surprisingly clear despite the humidity, so I took advantage of it to take the OneSky out on a quick galaxy hunt.

M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

M81 Bode's Galaxy and M82 Cigar Galaxy

Edited by GoldSpider, 02 February 2016 - 11:10 PM.

• SteveG, howard929, OrdinaryLight and 6 others like this

#1533 Abhat

Abhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Maryland, USA

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

I had to take the secondary mirror out on this scope for cleaning. The secondary is not enclosed in a black housing like it is on my Zhumell scope.

After cleaning the secondary with soap and distilled water I also blackened the thick edge of the secondary mirror and also the back side. Surprisingly the collimation was not that hard after putting the mirror back. The toughest part was ensure the secondary was perfectly concentric with the helical focuser. Need to wait for couple of days for clear skies to see if blackening will make any difference in the contrast.

#1534 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

Sounds like you did quite a good job, keep us  posted as to any effect you notice.

Edited by howard929, 03 February 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#1535 riverrat123

riverrat123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Guntersville, Alabama

Posted 03 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

AWB is about to have another victim.  Too bad I'm not going to see my telescope for another couple months.  But it's ordered now!

• howard929, OrdinaryLight, jlandy and 1 other like this

#1536 ghostboo

ghostboo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wichita, KS.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

Time seems to had slowed down waiting for this scope to arrive! I have my list of modifications ready...just need the UPS guy to show up with my OneSky!

One quick question. I am ordering an Astro Video Systems, DSO camera (http://www.astro-vid...body-dso-1.html) or a Mallincam soon. Has anyone tried video astronomy with this scope yet? Thanks in advance.

Edited by ghostboo, 12 February 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#1537 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:20 PM

Post # 7.

The telescope comes with a 25mm and a 10mm plossl eyepiece. Like all beginners the first thing I did was look at the moon. It happened to be nearly full that night, I held up my junk Moto X cellphone camera and took a shot - I think it turned out pretty good!

This was the 10mm eyepiece, 130mm newtonian f/5 telescope using a Moto X cellphone which tells me the picture was 4.5mm focal length, no flash, 2.4 aperture, 1/99 exposure time, ISO 160

Edited by CP Kuiper, 11 February 2016 - 08:21 PM.

#1538 Xeno

Xeno

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Long Beach

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

Hello! First posting here.  I had a number of telescopes as a kid, and after setting up one of my old scopes I pulled out of the garage lamented the poor base.  My wife told me to pick a new scope as a birthday present, and I decided to go with the AWB, largely because of the reviews, but also as being a teacher and having a bit of experience in developing nations, thought it would be a good cause to support.  Its waitlisted till March/April, and I live in the Los Angeles (Long Beach).  I've been skimming through here, and I see a number of mods people suggest.  I figure the first 2 will be to make my own tri-pod and build a better light shield.  Anything else people would suggest right off the bat?  As far as Eyepieces, I think learning what I can do with what it comes with will better equip me for understanding what I need before I go crazy buying accessories.

• howard929, havasman and GoldSpider like this

#1539 havasman

havasman

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Hello! First posting here.  I had a number of telescopes as a kid, and after setting up one of my old scopes I pulled out of the garage lamented the poor base.  My wife told me to pick a new scope as a birthday present, and I decided to go with the AWB, largely because of the reviews, but also as being a teacher and having a bit of experience in developing nations, thought it would be a good cause to support.  Its waitlisted till March/April, and I live in the Los Angeles (Long Beach).  I've been skimming through here, and I see a number of mods people suggest.  I figure the first 2 will be to make my own tri-pod and build a better light shield.  Anything else people would suggest right off the bat?  As far as Eyepieces, I think learning what I can do with what it comes with will better equip me for understanding what I need before I go crazy buying accessories.

Hi Xeno,

Welcome to the forums. You'll like the OneSky. It's a nice little scope that punches way above its weight class. I built a tripod to set mine on and it works fine. I think you may want to wait until you get the scope to build yours as getting the height right makes all the difference in comfort when using the scope.

FWIW, I have cases of eyepieces but with the OneSky I really only need 2. The critical ep is a good widefield. I use an Explore Scientific 68o series 24mm eyepiece (bought used for $100 a couple of years ago) and it gives a bright clear 2.51o field of view that's just great. It is the best view of M31/32/101 (Andromeda galaxy trio) of all my scopes. I use an Explore Scientific 82o 6.7mm for high power. Good for lunar. Meade has had their 5.5mm Series 5000 82o ep on sale lately and that's another great choice.

• howard929, ghostboo and Xeno like this

#1540 MarkGman

MarkGman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, TX

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:16 PM

I just found this little OneSky while researching entry level scopes.  After reading reviews and some of this thread I just had to have one.  I am planning a camping trip to Palo Duro Canyon (near Amarillo), Grand Canyon and Rocky Mountain National Park in June with my youngest daughter.  She was born in L.A., lived in Houston and Dallas.  She's 17 and I don't believe has ever seen the sky at night..  I have a small sports car so space is going to be at a premium.  The OneSky looks like the ticket.  I just hope it gets here by April; they say March or April on website.  I'm so excited to get the OneSky.  I've been looking at larger Dobsonian's for about a year but moving them could be an issue and light is a real problem in Dallas.

I've seen some of the suggested mods on here that I plan to do; drill and tap for mounting to tripod, shade for extended front, etc.  Are there any must haves I should consider?  Lenses?

The tripod I have for my daughter's camera is too light, but it has a hook on bottom of center post.  I can either hang a weight from it or bungie cord the tripod to the ground with tent stakes.

This thread is great.  I was very impressed by some of the astro-photography.  I didn't know a 5 inch scope had this kind of potential.

• BFaucett likes this

#1541 MarkGman

MarkGman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

Last night turned out surprisingly clear despite the humidity, so I took advantage of it to take the OneSky out on a quick galaxy hunt.

Very nice.  Pardon my ignorance, but what do you have to do to see images like that, or get photos like that.  I assume it is multiple images to enhance the final product.  The only scope I've ever had was when I was age 10 and it was a little cardboard tube about 3.5 inches diameter.

#1542 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

MarkGman, Xeno, and anyone else waiting for their OneSky, here's the latest...

A shipment came in a few days ago and they were all shipped out (to people waiting quit a long time) so you're all getting closer to the top of the list! :)

The next shipment is due soon and the OneSky's from that should all be shipped by the end of the month. Your orders might be included in that if it hasn't sold out yet. If your orders are recent and aren't shipped this month then the next shipment due in late March will definitely take care of you.

So MarkGman, you'll have your OneSky in plenty of time to show your daughter the wonders of the night sky that she's been missing.

Mike

P.S. We're a sports car family. I've driven nothing else for almost all of the past 50 years. My father started the trend and my son has a collection of vintage sports cars now. I know very well the restrictions of a small car but it's also quite amazing what you can manage with a bit of efficiency and imagination. I wish there were more compact scopes like the OneSky 40 years ago!

• jlandy, BFaucett, ghostboo and 1 other like this

#1543 MarkGman

MarkGman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:51 PM

Great!  Thank you MSimmons for the update.  The OneSky sounds perfect for my needs & your organization sounds like a great cause.  When I saw the review in S&T I thought WOW, perfect.

I may have to leave the cooler home but who needs food when you have a sports car, mountain roads, arid high altitudes, and a telescope.  

Walmart is everywhere anyway.

Edited by MarkGman, 14 February 2016 - 07:52 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#1544 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Great!  Thank you MSimmons for the update.  The OneSky sounds perfect for my needs & your organization sounds like a great cause.  When I saw the review in S&T I thought WOW, perfect.

I may have to leave the cooler home but who needs food when you have a sports car, mountain roads, arid high altitudes, and a telescope.  

Walmart is everywhere anyway.

Exactly!

#1545 CP Kuiper

CP Kuiper

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Iowa

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

Very nice.  Pardon my ignorance, but what do you have to do to see images like that, or get photos like that.  I assume it is multiple images to enhance the final product.  The only scope I've ever had was when I was age 10 and it was a little cardboard tube about 3.5 inches diameter.

You will only see images like those by making Photographs. 

These days astrophotographers make a lot of photos and stack them to build up the exposure and to manage the image noise generated using a high ISO setting.

Doing the photography the telescope has to move smoothly to counteract the Earth's rotation, however many of the image stacking softwares can register each image to accommodate tracking errors.

#1546 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:26 PM

There is free software that stacks multiple images together (a lot of it is to remove the noise from the sensor) to produce pretty much every astrophotography picture you see. If you want an idea of what an object looks like in the eyepiece the Sketching forum is a wonderful resource.

The pictures here are really an example of the quality of the optics - a parabolic mirror with very little coma (I haven't observed any visually) is hard to find for the price AWB provides 

• BFaucett likes this

#1547 jhitesma

jhitesma

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:37 AM

We had another stargazing evening this past Friday sponsored by our city.  Much better turn out than last time with a lot more people, and someone brought out a BIG Orion truss dob - looked bigger than a 12" so I'm guessing it was a 16".  Didn't have a chance to talk to him much since it was so crowded.  Apparently he's got 30 some acres east of here in a black sky zone and does astrophotography.  Nice setup for sure!

Once again we got to compare our "little" OneSky to the Meade 12" and the 8" Orion.  More than one person commented that they preferred the views through our little scope to the 8" Orion :D

The big Orion definitely had us beat hands down.  But the more I get to see the same things in our scope, the Meade and the 8" Orion the more happy I am with our choice.  Yeah, there's a bit more detail in the bigger scopes...but not enough to make up for the convenience factor IMHO.

Over the holiday break I tackled another project and made myself a 3D printer.  I've finally got it working very accurately and reliably so I've been starting to look for functional things to print with it.  One that attracted me was an adapter to mount my cellphone to the eyepiece for quick and dirty photos.  Well, it fit my phone well, but the mount only works without an eyepiece and that's not going to work with the cellphone.  

So today I printed a Nikon to 1.5" adapter to try with our DSLR.  I know the stock mount is totally inappropriate for photography...but I figured the moon is easy and bright why not give it a try.

Well....

Attached File  moon.jpg   230.23KB   32 downloads

Not bad.  I had to shorten the truss almost 2" to get it to focus...not sure how to get the mirror to lockup on this camera or where our IR remote is right now...so still quite a bit of room for improvement, but the mount is definitely the biggest factor.

Since Jupiter was up and is bright I wondered if I could catch it...yeah...kind of:
Attached File  jupiter.jpg   30.68KB   46 downloads

Got all four of Galileo's moons at least!

Finally just for giggles I aimed over at good old M42 in Orion...at least I think I was pointing at M42...was in the right area but hard to see through the eyepiece of the camera.  15 second exposure shows some signs of nebulosity but also the limits of not having a tracking mount:

Attached File  nebula.jpg   141.97KB   33 downloads

Dang...now I'm going to have to start watching the classifieds for a deal on a mount :D

• jlandy and BFaucett like this

#1548 ghostboo

ghostboo

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Wichita, KS.

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Has anyone here tried video astronomy with the AWB OneSky?

I'm thinking about getting a Mallincam (http://www.mallincam...cro-series.html) or the Astro Video Systems DSO-1 (http://www.astro-video.com/dso-system-with-bluetooth-wireless-control-dso-enbt.html). Both of these are very tempting at the low price. It would be amazing to see color on a 7" monitor. I'm used to grey fuzzies in an eyepiece so this avenue looks fun. I think it would be a good way to demonstrate the Onesky to passers by and neighbors. Thanks.

#1549 MarkGman

MarkGman

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:16 PM

I took my OneSky out last night and had some great views with it and Andromeda looked surprisingly good, considering my suburban Dallas location. After I get 'er collimated a little better I was seeing some nice crisp stars. The optics are pretty impressive for the price of this little thing!

I plan on taking it with me later this summer when I go on vacation - does anyone have any good portable / travel tripods they can recommend for this scope?

I live in Frisco and there's very little I can see; moon, Jupiter, Venus ...  airplanes heading toward DFW. ;)

#1550 SeaBee1

SeaBee1

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

I took my OneSky out last night and had some great views with it and Andromeda looked surprisingly good, considering my suburban Dallas location. After I get 'er collimated a little better I was seeing some nice crisp stars. The optics are pretty impressive for the price of this little thing!

I plan on taking it with me later this summer when I go on vacation - does anyone have any good portable / travel tripods they can recommend for this scope?

I live in Frisco and there's very little I can see; moon, Jupiter, Venus ...  airplanes heading toward DFW. ;)

Man I do feel that... I am just down the road from you in Little Elm... the moon, Jupiter, Orion Nebula, they have been my buds the last few times I got out. Tonight looks like a good night to visit them as well...

Best regards!

CB

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics