•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
1946 replies to this topic

#1926 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

WOW.,,those pics are great.,,are you havin fun yet!!!!.,skeeters have arrived here so my time out will be limited depending on if I want to dope-up or not.,,the OneSky is great for a very quick peek.,plus I can leave it out when it's nice and go out for a few minutes at a go.,I'm looking forward to the milkyway coming around and the sky darkening a little earlier..,
  • ghostboo likes this

#1927 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

Well I didn't have to wait too long.,I got out this morn,.1-3am.,the MW was bright and beautius.,,I started with an ES,20mm/70* ep for a brief scan around.,then I went with a 24mm68*.,for a little more scanning.,then I put in the Meade zoom.,this narrowed down the field.,but it brought the globs an OC's to life.,,I found moving the scope one FOV at a time through the MW is like using a kaleidoscope.,,each turn gives a different view.,I need a "rose colored" filter to enhance the experience.,,overall a good 2hrs.,the skeeters were tolerable.,the OneSky.,a treat as always.,this scope will make me a lazy astronomer.,grab a low power ep and the zoom.,and I'm on the deck gazin..about 10 paces.,I hope you all have a safe and cloud free holiday weekend.,,
  • paulymo and ghostboo like this

#1928 Astrojunkie73

Astrojunkie73

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:25 PM

Well I didn't have to wait too long.,I got out this morn,.1-3am.,the MW was bright and beautius.,,I started with an ES,20mm/70* ep for a brief scan around.,then I went with a 24mm68*.,for a little more scanning.,then I put in the Meade zoom.,this narrowed down the field.,but it brought the globs an OC's to life.,,I found moving the scope one FOV at a time through the MW is like using a kaleidoscope.,,each turn gives a different view.,I need a "rose colored" filter to enhance the experience.,,overall a good 2hrs.,the skeeters were tolerable.,the OneSky.,a treat as always.,this scope will make me a lazy astronomer.,grab a low power ep and the zoom.,and I'm on the deck gazin..about 10 paces.,I hope you all have a safe and cloud free holiday weekend.,,

Get yourself a Termacell and it will drive those skeeters away! They cost about $20 They make all the difference in the world! The patches and refills can add up but with a little do it yourself you can avoid the high cost of refills.  Here is a link for the how to's to upgrade your Termacell.

http://www.instructa...our-Thermacell/

• jlandy likes this

#1929 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:01 PM

I wear a hoodie that I spray good with DEET.,,that keeps them at bay for the most part.,,they get my hands the most.,the rest of me is covered.,face and ears are under the hood.,may try surgical gloves.,,

#1930 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

I had a great time last night with the OneSky chasing galaxies up in the Ursa Major area.,Using setting circles and Stellarium on a "Galaxy tablet" was like shooting fish in a barrel.,I started out with a Meade zoom and found that around 14mm was the sweet spot.,I then put in an ES,82*14mm to compare views with the zoom.,,the ES view was a tad brighter.,thus a little easier to spot the faint fuzzies.,though the difference was minor at best.,maybe "seeing at the moment".,but I stuck with the ES after that and was able to find/view many of the G's in this area.,I think the faintest I got was 10.6 mag??.,.,I'm not good at keeping notes.,gotta work on that.,anyway the treat of the night was I set-up a 6" 12vt. truck/dash fan and this kept the skeeters from bugging me all night.,I got 3 bites on my hands.,not bad with no bug dope,because without the fan they were swarming me.,I put it on my rolling acc. table so I could keep it aimed at me and it was great not to be bothered by the buggers.,,also I spent most of the night with my back turned to the glorious milkyway view.,this was no easy feat.,cruising the mother-cluster is my favorite past time.,I did turn around before calling it a night and took a peek at the dumbbell nebula.,and then a short sweep around.,,(the ES 82*14mm works very well in the OneSky for this as well.,talk about an EP full of stars))but by this time I had been at it for about 3hrs.,it was 1am.,and my eyeball had had enough,.,thanks for reading.,

#1931 paulymo

paulymo

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Great report Dave!  I've had a chance to finally sweep the MW too with my Hyperion 24mm 68 degree.  Just wow.  Stars everywhere.  Will be doing more of that, definitely.

Thanks for the reports on the Meade zoom and the ES eyepieces.  I've been waffling on whether to go with a better zoom like the Meade/Zhumell/Celestron (my zoom is optically fine but mechanically a little lacking) and a 2x or 2.5x barlow, just get a 5mm or 3.5mm Hyperion for higher power, or just start collecting Agena Dual EDs/Astro-Tech Paradigms as they come up in the classifieds as I think 60 degrees is good enough for me.

Dave, you mentioned looking at globs with the Meade zoom.  How did you find them in the OneSky?  I've looked at M3 and M13 and, while impressive in size and apparent structure, I was hoping to resolve some individual stars on the outer edges and haven't been able to.  I've tried with mid-power on my zoom and at the lowest setting hoping the increased mag darkened the sky enough to resolve some but, well, nope.  I'm wondering if maybe plossls, kellners, or orthos might give the OneSky the best shot at resolving at least some of the bigger globs or if I just need to pump up the mag even more.

Pauly

Edited by paulymo, 05 July 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#1932 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Hi Pauly.,,I think the OneSky is just on the verge of being able to do that,so the atmosphere may be the determining factor as to how much you can resolve.,.,,this is my opinion with my eyes.,others my have better luck getting those results with this scope. A better eyepiece will increase your chances as well.,To me,something in the 8-10mm range works good in this scope.,making the sky dark.,but not to dark.,Also,I feel like I see better with both eyes open,so I usually cover my left eye with my left hand,,

#1933 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

Dave, you mentioned looking at globs with the Meade zoom.  How did you find them in the OneSky?  I've looked at M3 and M13 and, while impressive in size and apparent structure, I was hoping to resolve some individual stars on the outer edges and haven't been able to. 

That surprises me. I can resolve a few stars in both of the clusters using the OneSky even with its stock 10-mm eyepiece for 65X, and I can resolve many more at 90X or higher.

This is at a reasonably dark site, of course. I doubt that a OneSky could resolve any stars at all in either cluster from a bright suburb. But your signature says Vermont, and there's nowhere in Vermont where you can't reach a reasonably dark site with a half hour drive.

• paulymo likes this

#1934 paulymo

paulymo

Vostok 1

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:11 PM

Dave and Tony--thanks, that actually makes me feel better to know others are getting that result.

Tony, I'm 20 minutes outside Burlington.  So according to darkskyfinder I'm light orange with light green just a town or two south of me.  With dark green just a bit further than that.  Personal circumstances have limited me to my backyard lately but in the coming months I should have the opportunity to seek out some darker skies and will report back.  My stated experience, FWIW, is with no moon in sky and around 10pm-11pm (so, dark but not fully so).  I certainly don't think I've got a bad sample of a OneSky or anything like that.  I'm sure it is a combo of my eyes, my EPs, when I'm observing, and yes my backyard skies.

I'll keep trying--luckily this scope is just so much fun to use.

Cheers,

Pauly

#1935 jlandy

jlandy

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:12 PM

Get yourself a Termacell and it will drive those skeeters away! They cost about $20 They make all the difference in the world! The patches and refills can add up but with a little do it yourself you can avoid the high cost of refills.  Here is a link for the how to's to upgrade your Termacell.

http://www.instructa...our-Thermacell/

Astrojunkie - you are a hero.  I've been averaging ~10 mosquito bites a night, while wearing long pants and a hoodie... it's been absolutely miserable.  I bought the thermacell on a whim on your suggestion - using it for the first time now, not a hint of mosquitos. I've been or all night setting  up my imaging rig, it's so nice a brought the AWB out for a lookin session. Thank you for the tip!!

Started  with Saturn, then lagoon, m13, m57, and m27. Split the double double while in the neighborhood, then decided to try to find a new target for me - m17. The Swan was quite vibrant, only the second time observing, the first under a 16" dob last year. Over to alberio, m51, and currently on m81/82. I've been so dependent on goto with imaging it's been a nice refresher sky hopping again... and no mosquitos!

Edited by jlandy, 05 July 2016 - 10:13 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#1936 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

Tony, I'm 20 minutes outside Burlington.  So according to darkskyfinder I'm light orange with light green just a town or two south of me.  With dark green just a bit further than that.  Personal circumstances have limited me to my backyard lately but in the coming months I should have the opportunity to seek out some darker skies and will report back.  My stated experience, FWIW, is with no moon in sky and around 10pm-11pm (so, dark but not fully so). 

That's probably the problem. At my own location some 150 miles south of you, the sky is fully dark by 11 p.m. at this time of year. But in Burlington, it's probably still pretty bright then, and very bright indeed at 10 p.m. Things will improve dramatically by next month's new-Moon cycle.

• paulymo likes this

#1937 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

Pauly.,next clear night I'll have a look at those globs and let you know what I see and what ep I use.,I don't keep notes,so don't remember how things looked or what I looked at them with for very long.,I guess I'm more of a "I'm liking it now and that's good" kinda guy.,notes are probably a good habit to get into.,but I haven't gotten on the wagon yet.,clouds in the forecast here for the next few nights.,
  • paulymo likes this

#1938 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

Please forgive me for not yet reading all 78 pages here (I am going through it but it is quite a project)

How are you guys getting these high magnifications?  3X and 5X barlows?

Edited by CQDDEMGY, 09 July 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#1939 Xeno

Xeno

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:12 AM

If you're wondering about the captured images, those are achieved through long exposure times (which requires tracking) or utilizing lucky imaging techniques where you're stacking hundreds of exposures on top of each other.  The Mk I Eyeball doesn't collect and store information about each photon hitting it like a camera sensor or film does, so you will not see the same images as what people take with their cameras. I know some of the imagery people are using 3 - 5x barlows though to their cameras.  Otherwise, using prime focus (camera hooked directly to the telescope) the telescope will act as a lens of the same focal length as the telescope is long. If you hook a full frame camera up to the 650mm OneSky, it will be achieving about 12 times magnification (650mm  / 50).  A 5x barlow will give you then a 60x magnification in prime focus.

#1940 CQDDEMGY

CQDDEMGY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Detroit, Michigan

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

Ok thank you.

#1941 RBTinFL

RBTinFL

Ranger 4

• Loc: SW Florida

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Almost two years ago I bought a OneSky for my 10 year old granddaughter. I own a 10" Dob and an 8" SCT and have dabbled in this hobby for about a dozen years. Starting to get serious now that I'm semi retired and not living above lattitude 58.

I pulled the box out from the closet as that is where it has been sitting since the initial few weeks wore off. I thought.... I'm going to get it out and take it with us on a family outing in a few weeks. I wanted to find out some of the specs and did a Google search and came up with this thread.... What a find. It's going to take me weeks to get through 78 pages. But get through them I will.

Finding the thread put a dent in the old wallet. A Vixen Porta II mount, a WO WA 20mm and a ES 82 6.7mm are in the mail heading this way.

THANK YOU to all for some great advice and knowledge. This forum never ceased to just amaze me.

I might tackle building that stool stand for her upcoming birthday.

I'll add to the mix as it unfolds....

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by RBTinFL, 21 July 2016 - 12:32 PM.

• SteveG, paulymo and Joe I like this

#1942 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Hi Bob and welcome to the party.,,I was going to post and get this thread back on page 1.,,I have done a few tweeks to this scope and it is a real treat to use.,my latest addition is a low profile ALT gauge.,(excuse the camera flash),my other one got in the way 1 to many times.,get back to us and let us know what you think of the "little big scope".,,

Attached Files

• paulymo likes this

#1943 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

Hi Pauly.,I haven't forgotten you.,,between clouds and skeeters I haven't gotten out with the OneSky lately.,I tried a few nights ago but transparency was mud,,I will now have to wait for the moon to go away before I can see what I can resolve in the globs with the Meade zoom and the OneSky.,,"I'll be back".,,
  • paulymo likes this

#1944 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

After seeing how much the feet on my crutch tripod dampened the vibration when observing off of my deck,I decided to put some on the OneSky.,I found some threaded plug things used to put a bolt into cement that fit perfect into the crutch pipe,.I used carriage bolts through the wood and can thread the feet up and down to level the scope,.so I got a two for one by doing this.,

Attached Files

• paulymo likes this

#1945 paulymo

paulymo

Vostok 1

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Dave.  Night-time clouds have been par for the course here so I haven't been out either.  Just got my Pocket Sky Atlas though.  I plan on cutting a circle of clear plastic from a gel pack to match the FOV of my 24mm Hyperion so I can simulate my views against the atlas and plan my hops.  

Love your setting circles and might have to go back a few posts and see how you did it to make my own.  What material did you use for those?

#1946 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Viking 1

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 03:15 PM

I used a fiberglass material made for a greenhouse.,I bet a thin laminated cardboard would work fine.,I cut out around the pads and center.,the circle doesn't turn.,My pointer doesn't move either but it's very easy to align the scope with anything you have the ALT/AZ numbers for.,,I was out last night and took a look at M13 with the Meade zoom and OneSky.,the seeing again was poor but I was able to take a fair look and could not for sure resolve stars.,,very close.,and I think I got a few twinkles with averted vision.,again poor seeing.,I think on a better night I'll get more without averted.,fun to test though.,look for a minute.,rest the eye,look again.,then came the clouds.,

Attached Files

• paulymo likes this

#1947 paulymo

paulymo

Vostok 1

Posted Yesterday, 06:26 PM

Thanks Dave!  Yep, I'll have to look around the house for something that'll work.  Thanks for the report on globs.  I think you and Tony are right, 130mm of aperture is right at the edge and requires good seeing and good darkness to see them.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics