OneSky Newtonian - Astronomers without borders

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#176 Abhat

Abhat

Messenger

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Does anybody have the specs for the scope? I can't find it on the website. All I see is the review from S&T.

#177 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

The Skywatcher version has a spec page: http://www.skywatche...php?cat=6&id=57

• Abhat likes this

#178 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Ranger 4

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Please let us know your results when/if you try with bino viewer. 

as for the binoviewer, I can't imagine that assembly would weigh more than my DSLR... I'd hazard a guess you would be just fine with it

I was able to try this quickly tonight and it worked well. I have the Celestron BV (by all accounts identical to the Williams Optics and other entry level BVs) and was able to focus without a barlow in the path.  I ended up extending (collapsing?) the tube about half way.

The scope took the weight of the binoviewer without complaint and I was able to use the helical focuser to fine tune the focus as usual.

I'd imagine this big a change in the secondary position has to reduce the effective aperture to some extent but the view of the moon in the binoviewer looked pretty great.

#179 jlandy

jlandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

Does anybody have the specs for the scope? I can't find it on the website. All I see is the review from S&T.

130mm f/5 Newtonian reflector (650mm focal length) with a dobsonian stand and red dot finder

Edited by jlandy, 07 September 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#180 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

The specs are listed in the description lower on the page. They're included in the description, not listed in a table. If there is anything else you need let me know.

Mike

#181 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

From what I have seen online you look down into the eyepiece. Can the tube be rotated so that you look into the eyepiece from the side, similar to a larger Dob?  I am thinking this could be a great scope for outreach for short folk or those in wheelchairs.  Side viewing might be easier. 

#182 Abhat

Abhat

Messenger

• Loc: Middletown, MD

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for the info on specs. Does anybody know how good (or bad) the helical focuser on this scope functions comapred to a crayford focuser? Can the focuser be upgraded?

#183 havasman

havasman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

My only experience w/Helical focusers is the OneSky and, though it's probably the weakest link in the chain, it is very workable. I think it better to have this high performance mirror and a workable focuser than the reverse.

I've not applied the heavy grease fix as grease applied to one spot, for me, soon shows up everywhere. I probably will try the teflon tape option on the threads as it's reversible if ineffective.

The weight of an upgraded focuser might be a concern.

My xt10i required an upgraded focuser because i couldn't stand the image shift in the stock focuser but the OneSky focuser seems adequate to me. 

#184 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

From what I have seen online you look down into the eyepiece. Can the tube be rotated so that you look into the eyepiece from the side, similar to a larger Dob?  I am thinking this could be a great scope for outreach for short folk or those in wheelchairs.  Side viewing might be easier. 

To rotate the tube, you would need to remove the dovetail rail and remount it. Not really a difficult task, but you would have to move the rail each time. Another option would be to remove the rail permanently and use rings.

#185 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info on specs. Does anybody know how good (or bad) the helical focuser on this scope functions comapred to a crayford focuser? Can the focuser be upgraded?

The plastic helical focuser works surprisingly well as long as you don't need a lot of focus range. I only use 2 eyepieces and a barlow with mine, and the adjustment range works perfectly with my eyepieces.

Putting heavy grease on the threads improves the feel of the focuser substantially. To focus, just grap the protruding set-screws and twist. I've yet to get any grease from the threads on my hands.

I don't see any way to replace the focuser without a major rebuild of the scope.

#186 BFaucett

BFaucett

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:03 PM

Putting heavy grease on the threads improves the feel of the focuser substantially. To focus, just grap the protruding set-screws and twist. I've yet to get any grease from the threads on my hands.

+1  :waytogo:   I'm actually quite satisfied with the helical focuser.  IMHO, it's simple, sturdy and works very well.  And, as Steve said, the addition of a little grease really improves the feel of the focuser.

I can't comment on how it compares to a Crayford focuser as I've never used a Crayford.

Just my two cents.....

Cheers!

-Bob F.

Edited by BFaucett, 07 September 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#187 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

Assuming that the rail is bolted to the tube and not glued then it should be easy to move the rail to a new position.  But I do like the idea of using rings instead. 

#188 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

My xt10i required an upgraded focuser because i couldn't stand the image shift in the stock focuser but the OneSky focuser seems adequate to me. 

Havasman:

i notice you also have a XT10i. How do you use/ view with the OneSky vs the XT10i?  I am thinking the OneSky will be ideal for wider FOV objects, travel, grab and go, and outreach. 

#189 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Ranger 4

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:28 PM

Assuming that the rail is bolted to the tube and not glued then it should be easy to move the rail to a new position.  But I do like the idea of using rings instead. 

Would tube rings not interfere with the sliding struts? For me the fact that the scope is easily collapsible is a key feature.

#190 BFaucett

BFaucett

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Would tube rings not interfere with the sliding struts? For me the fact that the scope is easily collapsible is a key feature.

In post #42 in this thread, jlandy has a photo of the scope mounted on a Celestron CG-4 GEM using rings.  I don't know the brand of the rings.  I've been wondering about the same thing.  Hopefully he will chime in with some more info and details.

-Bob F.  :)

#191 jlandy

jlandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

I got 160mm tube rings here:

http://www.kwtelesco...e-ring-set.html

the downside is the telescope will not collapse when the tube rings are attached (I have considered cutting out notches, but I fear it would weaken the rings too much, not a lot of clearance). However, they let me attach the Orion ST80 to the OneSky, which for me is a big plus over the loss of it collapsing. Adding a shroud keeps all of the dust out of the OTA.

That being said, if I am traveling and want a simple setup, it is very easy to unmount the telescope from the rings, mount the dovetail back to the factory position, and either use the provided dob mount or use my lightweight alt-az. I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all, people are not purchasing the OneSky for astrophotography. I probably wouldn't have gotten the tube rings if I were using it as a strictly visual telescope.

As for the focuser, I don't have anything to compare it to, but adding the heavy grease (i used automotive bearing grease) to the threads was a huge improvement.

#192 havasman

havasman

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Grant, 

Yes, exactly as you say: wider field alternative and travel scope. I also take it out when home here in the white zone for a short session. At the dark site at the end of a long session, i like to sit with the little scope and cruise around the sky for a bit before packing up for the trip home. Last week when I was out, I scoped out the Orion neighborhood with it for the first time this season.

I get 123 arc' FOV with the XT10i and 151 with the OneSky but the next scope will have a narrower FOV and pretty much require the little one's contribution. But that's a good thing.   ;D 

I expect to use it for outreach as the 1st Q adults always ask is about cost. Being able to answer $200 presents a friendlier profile for most of them than the answers they get from the guys with the C-14's and Taks. 

BTW, Scopestuff's 2-speed replacement focuser installs on the existing XT series focuser base without removing it and works very nicely, in case you're interested. [If you get a set of written installation instructions from them with that purchase, i wrote them.]

I just stepped into the 21st C yesterday, buying Sky Safari and I think it's going to be really easy to use with the OneSky.

Edited by havasman, 07 September 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#193 Oscar56

Oscar56

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:48 PM

Grant, 

Yes, exactly as you say: wider field alternative and travel scope. I also take it out when home here in the white zone for a short session.

I just stepped into the 21st C yesterday, buying Sky Safari and I think it's going to be really easy to use with the OneSky.

I tried star hopping with traditional maps but find SkySafari much, much easier. I will be interested to see how I can use it with the 5". 

BTW:  the AWB is not available for delivery in Canada but I have a line on a used SkyWatcher Heritage 130mm. Same specs as the AWB. 

#194 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted 13 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hello all,

I just came home from my daughters house and finally have my AWB 5 in hand. It looks fine/as intended, both the secondary and primary are off but that poses no problem for me. But I have questions. This one has allen screws  for the secondary tilt, does anyone know what size they are? Metric? What about the primary mirror clips? Sort of useless since I'm going to check them as a matter of course but were yours adjusted to the correct tightness? Which leads me into my last question: how well was your center spot centered?  I'll be all over that as well but just wondering if anyone else is .....well.. just a tad ocd and checked...

Edited by howard929, 13 September 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#195 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Ranger 4

Posted Yesterday, 06:47 AM

Most of the hex head screws on the outside of the OTA are 3mm metric. The secondary adjustment screws are 2mm metric. I recently pulled the primary cell to drill holes for carry handle in the lower part of the tube but didn't bother to check the clips tightness or center spot accuracy though both did cross my mind.

#196 howard929

howard929

• Loc: Low End of High Ground

Posted Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Thank you Dave, just what I was looking for.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics