• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jacksonville,Fl

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

If you won the Lottery and you were going to have a very large scope say in the 40" to 60" range and you were going to have the Observatory in the U.S. including Hawaii, also if the major Observatories said you could build there where would you build and why. Say for instance elevation, seeing. area.

#2 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Fort Davis TX would be high on my list. Also the New Mexico Astronomy Village as well. I would probably go with New Mexico though. It would really depend on what lots and such were available. I would prefer to build a house versus do a manufactured home. Both those places are remote so building would not be cheap. I would probably build an Earthship style house.

As for a scope. I would be happy with a 20in f/5 dob. :lol:

#3 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Kinda funny I have a driven 20"F5 and it puts up some nice views also I have looked through a 36"F5 for several nights in Arizona but I think if I won the Lottery I would have a 20"F3 a 30"F3.3, a 45"F3 and a 60"F3 all located in the same Observatory. I think it would be fun wearing out the batteries on a motorized lift every night. I just can't determine what would be a great site to observe from. I could have all these scopes set up at different sites and fly back and fourth depending what area has the best current conditions.

#4 Feidb

Feidb

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 30 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

If I won the lotto and had enough for a 40 inch scope? I would never anchor it down to an observatory, anywhere. I would make the most compact Dob and use it in the same places I already observe around Las Vegas. I have no desire to travel far and wide to observe. Sorry to disappoint. I just don't want to move anywhere else and don't want to drive a big beast to real remote areas I don't already go to now. I would never take it to the major events outside of the Las Vegas Astronomical Society events because too many clubs and groups ban green laser pointers and I don't want nothing to do with groups that do that. So, for me, with a 40 inch, which would be my limit, I'd make it as portable as I could and keep it in my garage. Maybe I'd get a new truck!

#5 jhors

jhors

Riddle me this

• Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

I'd build on a spot of land near the AZ/NM border in southeast AZ. I'd have a 15" 4.5 dob (don't like ladders) and a pier mounted 5" refractor. I'd bird by day and star gaze by night.

Maybe try my hand at fermenting some grape juice :smirk:

#6 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:15 PM

I'd build on a spot of land near the AZ/NM border in southeast AZ. I'd have a 15" 4.5 dob (don't like ladders) and a pier mounted 5" refractor. I'd bird by day and star gaze by night.

Maybe try my hand at fermenting some grape juice :smirk:

Wow after looking at your response your money would last forever. :grin:

#7 jhors

jhors

Riddle me this

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

That's an integral part of the plan ;)

#8 targetshooter

targetshooter

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: N Richland Hills TX

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

I love Colorado. It seems somewhere at the top of a big hill would be great. Only have to speak to other over the www and great viewing in the cold air.
Maybe a warmer winter location as a second site when it is - temps.

#9 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Haleakala mountain in Maui. Wonderful skies and a beautiful place to live.

#10 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

Although I love astronomy, it doesn’t occupy a large portion of my total free time, and most of my observing sessions remain fairly casual, so I would never go “all out” i.e. permanently move to an astronomy community, purchase a gigantic scope and begin observing 6 nights a week. That's just not me.

Anything I do would have to fit into the framework of my existing lifestyle. To that end, I would purchase/lease/timeshare a vacation property located in green zone (or better) skies within two hours’ drive of the city. I would then get the largest and highest quality dob I could use which still allows me to observe comfortably with both feet on the ground, like a 20” F/3, similar to the one Bob S. has ;)

#11 penguinx64

penguinx64

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

I'd put it in the high desert in California, about half way between Mojave and Bishop. Great seeing conditions there.

#12 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Idiot Seeking Village

• Moderators
  • Loc: Canton, OH

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

Here's my money-is-no-object dream set-up:

Location: Big Bend region of SW Texas, ~15 miles or so south of Alpine, TX. Close enough to get to town in 15 minutes, but far enough out to have pitch-black skies at night. I'd shoot for an elevation around 5,000-ft MSL.

Primary Scope: 22" f/3.3 Starmaster. I don't like climbing ladders, so this would be my limit.

Secondary Scope: A pier-mounted binoscope of twin Vixen 140-NA's. There are apos beyond 140mm, but they all have substantially more than 800mm focal length. I'd love to see the Veil Nebula in a bino-140NA, if such a beast existed.

Eyepiece Case: Wood Wonders or similar, with an engraved "BOX O'GREEN DEATH" on the top. It will contain all the Ethoi, Deloi and higher-eye-relief Naglers, with appropriate twin oculars for the binoscope.

Clear Skies,
Phil

#13 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:20 PM

Near Torrey Utah is where I would go.

#14 Dhellis59

Dhellis59

Vostok 1

• Loc: Georgia, USA

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

I'd get a Renegade, Haulmark, or ShowHauler garage motorcoach and fill the back up with the largest goto dob with which I could observe without a ladder, a pair of 100mm binoculars with tripod and parallelogram, and a goto apo refractor with video camera just in case I want to share (show off) what I'm looking at with others using a wireless tx to the outside entertainment system on the motorcoach. And, I drive all over this beautiful country attending star parties and making new friends.

I don't spend much time day dreaming... :p

#15 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'd move the Hubble's orbit so it can be serviced by the ISS.

#16 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'm very happy with my lot so don't need a lottery win thank you :-)

#17 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

I would probably move to NM. Las Cruces or something like that. I would build a nice roll off observatory and stock it with a 25" Obsession with Argo Navis and ServoCat and most likely a forked Celestron C14 on a pier. I would also have an Obsession 22" Ultra Lite for star parties away from home. My accessories would be a full set of Naglers and Delos, A Denk binoviewer, a Mallincam Pro with a 42" Monitor hung on the wall. The C14 would be remote controlled from inside the house on those nights when the air gets chilly.

#18 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

I would have three instruments:

1. For Deep Sky: A 60" f/3.0 Lockwood mirror scope, Equatorially mounted, In the Davis Mts just west of the Prude Ranch. I'd invite Jimi Lowry over so he can drop his jaw a few times... Custom built roll off observatory designed into a house. And a 1966 Corvette.

2. For Planets and double stars: A 16" APO refractor with LZOS glass in a climate controlled observatory (zero cool-down issues) on my own small island in the Florida Keys. Another custom observatory/house. And a boat. A biiiig boat.

3: For imaging: A 20" RitcheyChretien (not sure of the brand but you can bet it will be ex$pen$sive...) on an equally expensive mount - direct drive, tricked out every which way for remote observing. This scope would break the rules of this thread because I would have it at Atacama Lodge in Chile but, since I've won the lottery, I'll just bribe the OP to change the conditions imposed. And a private jet to go there whenever I want....

I figure $50 000 000 ought to cover these with enough left over for a very comfortable annual stipend.

Dave

#19 DSObserver2000

DSObserver2000

Ranger 4

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

If I won the lottery i'd get a 14 inch SCT, a high end CCD camera, and a house in the middle of nowhere with magnitude 8 skies, the leftover money is for filters and eyepieces.

observatories are too much work for me :lol:

#20 bandhunter

bandhunter

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

I'd move the Hubble's orbit so it can be serviced by the ISS.

Amen to that. :waytogo:

#21 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:35 PM

If I won the lottery i'd get a 14 inch SCT, a high end CCD camera, and a house in the middle of nowhere with magnitude 8 skies

Tut tut - this is the eyepiece forum :grin:...

observatories are too much work for me :lol:

Umm - haven't I heard that before :lol:

#22 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Lottery win would mean acreage and house out in dark sky territory with permanent observatory housing some 20" plus (20-30" depending on availability) CDK like this one or RC with 3", 4", and 6" Apo's as finders. CCD's and IIE's all the way. Both live monitor and live eyepiece views. IIE's from Hamamatsu. The extended range type. Narrowband OIII, SII, Ha, Hb filters and a mix of mono and color CCD's.

White phosphor type tubes too for variety.

I'll skip the 40-60" type scopes

The best thing about a lottery win would really be not having to succumb to a work schedule and buying up the property away from everything.

Oh yeah, these would be the $70,000 EMCCD's too.

And sharks with lasers.....

#23 notrix

notrix

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: high desert ca

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

If I won the lotto and had enough for a 40 inch scope? I would never anchor it down to an observatory, anywhere. I would make the most compact Dob and use it in the same places I already observe around Las Vegas. I have no desire to travel far and wide to observe. Sorry to disappoint. I just don't want to move anywhere else and don't want to drive a big beast to real remote areas I don't already go to now. I would never take it to the major events outside of the Las Vegas Astronomical Society events because too many clubs and groups ban green laser pointers and I don't want nothing to do with groups that do that. So, for me, with a 40 inch, which would be my limit, I'd make it as portable as I could and keep it in my garage. Maybe I'd get a new truck!

why are green lasers baned?

#24 jhors

jhors

Riddle me this

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

why are green lasers baned?

A lot of star parties ban green laser pointers because of their potential to disturb other attendees, interfere with long exposure astrophotography, etc.

Edit: I have no wish to start a debate on GLPs and I am not giving my opinion. I am just relating what some star parties publish regarding etiquette.

#25 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

Lottery win would mean acreage and house out in dark sky territory with permanent observatory housing some 20"...

... And sharks with lasers.....

It has been shown that you can only get sea bass, albeit ill-tempered ones.

I'd go with a Dob on a platform that is not too high -- something like a 25" with a focal ratio near f/4. It would be sited on a hilltop in southeast Arizona or southwest New Mexico in an enclosure that blocks wind.

I would want to keep observing at other sites, and I can't imagine wanting to set up anything much larger than what I already have, so no new money would be spent on that equipment.

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics