Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#251 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

Got my C80ED today and it seems to be very good. Don't think I will be able to try it under the stars yet.

Glass looks perfect. Focuser is fine but I think I will do the re-greasing efforts to improve it. Hoping I won't need to upgrade it but we shall see.

It's just about perfect on my FTQ mount and Oberwerk Tall tripod.

See pic below:

Congrats, it's a very fine scope. That mount looks perfect. Enjoy and hope you get clear skies soon.

#252 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

I will admit I was slightly worried about the lens. There was a small spot on it that looked like missing coating. It cleaned off very easily so no problem there.

Then there was a small spot on the inside of the lens that looked like a possible flaw. Turned out to just be a little metal shard from the the screwing process.

Quite frankly it looks like a very nice scope. Maybe not quite the quality control of a nicer company but just fine in my book.

I think the focuser is fine...and I think with a re-greasing I think it may not even need to be replaced.

The 25mm plossl even looks pretty nice.

#253 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

I will admit I was slightly worried about the lens. There was a small spot on it that looked like missing coating. It cleaned off very easily so no problem there.

Then there was a small spot on the inside of the lens that looked like a possible flaw. Turned out to just be a little metal shard from the the screwing process.

Quite frankly it looks like a very nice scope. Maybe not quite the quality control of a nicer company but just fine in my book.

I think the focuser is fine...and I think with a re-greasing I think it may not even need to be replaced.

The 25mm plossl even looks pretty nice.

I picked up two of these scopes, kept one myself, another went to a friend, both had minor blemishes here and there, most of the money is  in the glass not the mechanics, in both my samples the glass was outstanding, DA

#254 jhighfield

jhighfield

Sputnik

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

I bought a Costco version still "new in box" 90GT  just for the mount.   I put my new C80ED on the GT mount and I honestly have to say I love it.

The whole setup is light as a feather and Ive already had it outside 3 times in the last week.  Truly a perfect little grab and go.  The optics are amazing for its price.

#255 bgi

bgi

Ranger 4

• Loc: Ga

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

Mine sits on an Orion VersaGo III blem.  Works great!  I got a dovetail from dodgeman7 on ebay, drilled and tapped the clamshell that came with the scope.  It's dandy.  The stock focuser is fine.

Edited by bgi, 26 August 2014 - 09:26 PM.

#256 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

I've read and re-read this thread a few times. I have to get one. I don't need one. I have to get one, it's a super deal, and supports a good cause. I don't need one. 

I ordered one.

I reckon it'll be my  grab and go scope to complement my ES 127 ED, that I recently got. I might use it as a guide scope, and as a scope for imaging, as I have been impressed with the images posted.

Now, I face the difficult task of choosing another toy or two to sell.

Life is hard, LOL!

But seriously, thanks guys for the heads up on this deal. I can't wait til it arrives.

#257 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

Mine on the Porta II is the ideal winter grab and go. I can have it outside before the cup of coffee gets cold!

#258 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

Mine goes out on a 501HDV and Bogen tripod. I want to put it on my NexStar SE 6/8 mount, but refractors don't play well on them.  I have a slotted dovetail on backorder from Astronomics so I can do a Ron's Rail thing.  I could set the slew limits to prevent it from going toward zenith and hitting the mount.  But I don't like doing that.  It's still not safe. Slew limits won't keep me from slewing it by hand past those limits.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 30 August 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#259 Far-Out

Far-Out

Lift Off

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Got mine today.

Initial impression very well built.

Addressing earlier comments.

Cover fell off, adjusted  the 4 plastic prongs cover. Just put some gentle thumb pressure

on the four plastic prongs, which seemed to just sit behind the overall outer cover.

Gentle pressure a few trials in between. And now the cover fits snug.

Whether or not it's a permanent fix, time will tell.

Optics clean and perfect.

Tested day time, tonight will be the real test.

Marks under clam shell dull ring around tube, I can live with that. 

Attaching to dovetail of my astrotech Voyager mount and tripod fits good and I can see why people buy rings,but it seems to hold mine just fine.

Everything seems to be metal with the exception of the finder eyepiece which was in two parts. The end part that I had to screw In seemed to be all plastic, balance metal.

Also the dovetail holder on the scope seemed to be twice as long as what was required to hold

the finder. Just wonder why? As it doesn't seem to have  any function.

The inner box seal was broken, which indicated to me someone opened box prior to shipment to check contents. Everything else looked factory new. With consideration that it was sitting in a box for maybe 7 years.

The focuser is smooth and does not stick. And that sticky focus noise cannot be heard.

The focuser works well in daytime, who knows what the night may bring.

The supplied  eyepiece  has a lot of eye relief,I have to back my eye away from the lens a considerable distance to get the full,view.

Because there is no rubber cup protecting from light entering from sides this may cause a problem with extraneous  light entering .

if your in a dark space this may not be a problem. But neighbors lights are always on.

I have an Orion EON80F6.2 which I like a lot. And I'm hoping to get a least a little better views out of inexpensive eyepieces.

I can't see spending more money for my eyepieces than than my telescope. I joke.

Would love to have them  and at Stellefane Nagler raffles,I'm always waiting for my number to be called.

So I will do some testing the next few day and try to get back.

I emailed AWB and  the wave of orders has slowed a bit so there's still time to buy one.

Edited by Far-Out, 02 September 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#260 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:30 PM

Took mine under the stars for the first time.  Wow. Great optics. I wouldn't mind putting a moonlight focuser on it but the focuser isn't too bad.  The star test was equal to my Televue 60mm and 103mm vixen.

The moon and Saturn were stunning.  It's a keeper for sure.

#261 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:36 AM

Got mine today.

Initial impression very well built.

Addressing earlier comments.

Cover fell off, adjusted  the 4 plastic prongs cover. Just put some gentle thumb pressure

on the four plastic prongs, which seemed to just sit behind the overall outer cover.

Gentle pressure a few trials in between. And now the cover fits snug.

Whether or not it's a permanent fix, time will tell.

Optics clean and perfect.

Tested day time, tonight will be the real test.

Marks under clam shell dull ring around tube, I can live with that. 

Attaching to dovetail of my astrotech Voyager mount and tripod fits good and I can see why people buy rings,but it seems to hold mine just fine.

Everything seems to be metal with the exception of the finder eyepiece which was in two parts. The end part that I had to screw In seemed to be all plastic, balance metal.

Also the dovetail holder on the scope seemed to be twice as long as what was required to hold

the finder. Just wonder why? As it doesn't seem to have  any function.

The inner box seal was broken, which indicated to me someone opened box prior to shipment to check contents. Everything else looked factory new. With consideration that it was sitting in a box for maybe 7 years.

The focuser is smooth and does not stick. And that sticky focus noise cannot be heard.

The focuser works well in daytime, who knows what the night may bring.

The supplied  eyepiece  has a lot of eye relief,I have to back my eye away from the lens a considerable distance to get the full,view.

Because there is no rubber cup protecting from light entering from sides this may cause a problem with extraneous  light entering .

if your in a dark space this may not be a problem. But neighbors lights are always on.

I have an Orion EON80F6.2 which I like a lot. And I'm hoping to get a least a little better views out of inexpensive eyepieces.

I can't see spending more money for my eyepieces than than my telescope. I joke.

Would love to have them  and at Stellefane Nagler raffles,I'm always waiting for my number to be called.

So I will do some testing the next few day and try to get back.

I emailed AWB and  the wave of orders has slowed a bit so there's still time to buy one.

The cap fit can be fixed with three strips of sticky backed felt (available for a couple of bucks at a craft store) placed at 120 degrees between the plastic prongs,the dull section on the tube paint has been an issue from day one, probably caused by the fact the paint hasn,t fully cured and the clamshell is rather tight, it can be removed with gentle rubbing useing Turtle wax polish, some tube are hardly marked, others more so. The focuser is fine for visual use, the only thing I,m not fond of is the finder, I use a red dot, enjoy the scope, DA.

#262 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

I just ordered one of these from AWB along with a flange to mount a moonlite. Does anyone reading have any experience with this scope + Moonlite + Baader Maxbright/T-2 Zeiss prism? I only have a 1.25x GPC. Curious if this combo will work at native f/l, with the 1.25x OCA or will I need the 1.7x or 2.6x GPC?

Edited by Ain Soph Aur, 04 September 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#263 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

I just ordered one of these from AWB along with a flange to mount a moonlite. Does anyone reading have any experience with this scope + Moonlite + Baader Maxbright/T-2 Zeiss prism? I only have a 1.25x GPC. Curious if this combo will work at native f/l, with the 1.25x OCA or will I need the 1.7x or 2.6x GPC?

I have a Maxbright binoviewer.  I currently use it on my C6 SCT w/o an GPC.  I plan on using it with my C80ED w/o a GPC, and have done a bunch of measuring and calculating to figure out the best way.

With the stock focuser and 2"-1.25" adapter, the C80ED has about 110mm of back focus.  The MaxBrights add about 110mm to the light path.  You can actually use them straight through (no diagonal) and they will come to focus with most eyepieces.

According to this:
http://www.alpineast...nstructions.pdf

The MaxBright + Zeiss combo light path length is 151mm (bare) or 134mm (w/ 1.25x GPC).  Your Moonlight focuser would have to be at least 24mm shorter than stock to come to focus with the 1.25x GPC, and 41mm shorter w/o it.

My plan is get the non-Zeiss prism diagonal and use the stock focuser, but replace the 2"-1.25" adapter with one that's lower profile, saving about 20mm.  I also plan on shortening the tube by 1".  That will give me 45mm to compensate for the 38mm light path from the diagonal.  Hopefully this will allow nearly any eyepiece in the MaxBrights to come to focus.

#264 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

This scope is a fun wide-field imaging scope.  I'm having a blast imaging with it, even with my pokey EQ-3 mount unguided.  I'm happy with what I've done so far, even only being able to take 20 second subs.  A field flattener would certainly help improve stars in the corners.

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

get.jpg

#265 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hi Darin. You have sure done your homework, thank you. I will measure the stock focuser and Moonlite before I swap them out, and keep my fingers crossed the Moonlite has significant less optical path than stock :) i have not had good luck in trimming OTA's with threaded adapters, so if the T-2/Maxbright doesn't work (native or with 1.25x)  with the Moonlite, I will decide if I want to invest in a stronger GPC or not.

This is my first ED refractor, so I am going to play around with planetary/lunar photography with the ZWO ASI120MM to compare with long f/l achromats. My stongest barlow is a 2.25x Baader, should I look into a x4 barlow with this scope with the camera? 

I do have to admit, I am most looking forward to using the ES 82/30 with this scope for a hopefully awesome 20x 4 degree field :)

#266 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:58 PM

Evan, awesome pics. What camera are you using on those shots?

#267 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

This is my first ED refractor, so I am going to play around with planetary/lunar photography with the ZWO ASI120MM to compare with long f/l achromats. My stongest barlow is a 2.25x Baader, should I look into a x4 barlow with this scope with the camera? 

The rule of thumb for planetary/lunar imaging seems to be to operate in the F/20 to F/30 range.  This also depends on the pixel size of your imaging camera.  I don't see much improvement going over F/20 with my T4i DSLR, which has 4.3um pixels.  The ASI120MM looks to have 3.75um pixels, so it seems you wouldn't want to go any higher than that either.  Your 2.25x barlow will give about F/17, so you're getting in the ballpark.

I'd say try with your 2.25x barlow first.  If the image is getting dim, or you end up having to crank up the gain/sensitivity on your camera, you won't benefit from any higher magnification.  You can also use extension tubes to increase the effective magnification of your barlow - spacing the sensor farther away from the barlow lens elements increases the magnification - though you could run into issues with focus travel.

#268 evan9162

evan9162

Ranger 4

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Evan, awesome pics. What camera are you using on those shots?

Unmodded Canon T4i DSLR

#269 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:52 AM

The C80ED has become my grab-n-go lunar scope.  Yesterday evening I had the scope out for over an hour viewing lunar features, mostly along the terminator.  It picked up all the rilles visible toward the terminator at the time.  I also saw Kies Pi and the lunar domes near Hortensius.  I was waiting for the sun to expose more of Gruithuisen Gamma so I could try to resolve the craterlet at its crest, but I had work the next day and decided to go in.  Maybe next time. 

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 05 September 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#270 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

should be a very nice grab and go in the winter...pretty good cool down I would expect.

#271 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Yes, the cool down is fast.  Certainly faster than any of my Cats.

Mike

#272 Far-Out

Far-Out

Lift Off

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks Binojunkie.

I'll be buying some sticky backed felt.

The contrast  on the Moon has been fantastic with this scope.

I did replace the diagonal with Knight Owl 2" 99% reflectivity dialectic . Wow this diagonal is built to last 

it is very heavy. Machined  from solid aluminum.

I also replaced the finder with Orion 6x30 RACI, I had the part.

Now I have a nice system. I'm interested to compare it to my Orion EON8O F6.5 which has the nicest black finish I have ever seen 

and the chrome on the dew shield , My vote for one of the best looking ED's.

Do you spend more time looking at your scope than through it. Old  funny Unitron  add.

Get one before there gone. Destined to be a classic!

Edited by Far-Out, 05 September 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#273 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

Got mine yesterday.

Miraculously, the clouds parted as the sun set, and I managed a brief bit of viewing of the moon.

First impressions: crisp, contrasty views. Using the stock diagonal and a TV 5mm Radian, there was a slight bit of yellow fringing, but barely noticeable.

I'm very happy so far. The build quality seems quite good, and my focuser was a bit sludgy, but not bad. I think that the advice given here about relubricating the focuser is likely correct, and I'll tighten up the cap fitting as well.

This seems to be a genuine bargoon, and the fact that it supports a worthy cause is a bonus.

Thanks to the guys in this forum for making me aware of this deal!

#274 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

The optics on mine are better than I expected.  I will give the focuser tweaks a try but would have no problem putting a moonlight focuser on it. currently the focuser seems ok but just a little stiff.

Great deal I agree.

• Sarkikos likes this

#275 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

I am looking to order a focusing mask for the 80ED. Can anyone who has their 80ED handy please measure the OD of the dew shield? 

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics