Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

#276 Bignegs

Bignegs

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:57 PM

I am looking to order a focusing mask for the 80ED. Can anyone who has their 80ED handy please measure the OD of the dew shield? 

My best measure is about 107 mm at the front edge, tapering a few mm wider further back.

How precise a measure do you need?

#277 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:44 AM

Thanks Bignegs, after a chat with Astrozap and then your measurement for a sanity check I was able to order the correct mask in time for astrozap shipping!

#278 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

The 80ED arrived! Getting the stock foucser off was a bear, it took strap wrenches and a little WD40... The Moonlite is mounted and is impressive as expected,WO rings and ADM dovetail incoming. Collimation is off a bit so fingers crossed I can fix that up with the Moonlite collimation screws. 

#279 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

Their have been cases of owners damaging (in one case the owner wrecking)the scope getting the stock focuser off, this is due to the paint getting on the treads while soft then acting like  Lock Tite when it hardened.

I know its non of my business :grin:  but considering the cost of putting a Moonlite focuser on this scope why didn,t you go the route of say a scope from Skywatcher , you would get a far better focuser than the stock Celestron plus a case , diagonal ,finder, eyepieces  etc, ? at $350 the Celestron is a great buy, stick a $300-400 focuser on tit and it become a non bargain in my opinion.

In the two I picked up the stock rack and pinion worked very well, for visual anyway.DA.

#280 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I already had the Moonlite on another scope, just had to add the flange for this scope and swap  the focuser :)

#281 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

I already had the Moonlite on another scope, just had to add the flange for this scope and swap  the focuser :)

I stand corrected, enjoy the scope in good health, :waytogo: Dave.

#282 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

I think you are probably right binojunky. For me I'll try to get the stock focuser working as good as possible.

Why I would consider the moonlight is the optics are really good on this scope. Not sure if they would be as good on the skywatcher but it's possible. Of course I'd probably prefer a moonlight to the skywatcher 2 speed also.

As of right now the focuser seems OK as is. But I think better grease and adjusting it to what I like will make it better.

#283 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:19 AM

I ordered one this week, and found a very good sale on an Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount at OPT. I think the combination should make a good grab and go scope.

#284 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:51 AM

Their have been cases of owners damaging (in one case the owner wrecking)the scope getting the stock focuser off, this is due to the paint getting on the treads while soft then acting like  Lock Tite when it hardened.

I know its non of my business :grin:  but considering the cost of putting a Moonlite focuser on this scope why didn,t you go the route of say a scope from Skywatcher , you would get a far better focuser than the stock Celestron plus a case , diagonal ,finder, eyepieces  etc, ? at $350 the Celestron is a great buy, stick a $300-400 focuser on tit and it become a non bargain in my opinion.

In the two I picked up the stock rack and pinion worked very well, for visual anyway.DA.

The stock focuser on my C80ED is fine for visual.  I can easily reach precise, snap-to focus for lunar rilles or double stars. Maybe AP requires a Crayford, but then I don't do AP.  IME, it's better to develop one's manual dexterity than pay for a fancy focuser.  I really don't see the need for a focuser upgrade for the C80ED for visual.

Of course, if you already have a focuser you can swap in, it couldn't hurt.

:grin:

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 14 September 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#285 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

Sarkikos...I think I agree with just keeping the stock focuser (maybe rework it a little).

I used it yesterday and it was just fine. Just may need a few tweaks to get it the way I like it.

The optics on this puppy are really good. Had a wonderful view of the double cluster.

Quite frankly I'm glad I went this route vice getting a more expensive one. I was looking at spending around 1000-1200 for a premium 80ish mm Scope. So this was a great situation.

#286 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

After my positive experiences with the C80ED, I'm thinking about eventually getting a 100 or 150 ED refractor for more-or-less grab-n-go lunar/planet/doubles observing.  I'm done with achros.

Mike

#287 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

I consider my 103mm grab and go. However, it's one of the lighter 100mmish scopes. The vixens are really light weight. Look for doublets mostly to get that light weight.

Actually, I think my C80ED and the 103mm weigh the same.

Edited by GOLGO13, 14 September 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#288 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Sputnik

• -----

Posted Today, 01:41 AM

I ordered one this week, and found a very good sale on an Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount at OPT. I think the combination should make a good grab and go scope.

And it arrived today. Last night was clear; tonight was cloudy. The Twilight 1 (aka the VersaGo III) tripod (aka the CG-4 tripod) has a stiff leg element that objects to being extended. I hope it loosens up. One of the focus knobs is bent, but that doesn't affect the focus. The focus is good enough as is for visual work. I looked long and hard at street lamps up to 172x. They were sharp and easy to focus. I think stars look nicer.

This is a rather heavy combo. I'm not sure I would want anything bigger as a grab and go scope.

Edited by Peter Besenbruch, Today, 01:43 AM.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics