Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
423 replies to this topic

#401 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

The stock focuser came right off!  Its a little tricky getting the threads started again- but I was able to put it back on. I sure would like to be able to use this dual speed focuser. If I can't use it on the C80- I'll have to buy another scope!

Todd.

:waytogo:

#402 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

I just did the Teflon sheet mod on my C80ED's focuser.  Not only did I replace the two white pads, but I also added a Teflon sheet to the tensioner bar (the black plastic bar).  Between this and polishing the focuser drawtube, the focusing action is now buttery smooth with no grabbyness at all.  Definitely a worthwhile improvement!

• BFaucett and jackofalltrades like this

#403 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas / 29° 46' N

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

I had first light with my C80ED last night (Tues. 1/20). :)   I only got in about an hour of viewing time before the clouds rolled in and it became 100% overcast with 93% humidity.   :mad:   I used the supplied 25mm Plossl and Orion Expanse 6mm and 9mm eyepieces.

I'm VERY pleased with the views!  This is only the fourth astro telescope I've ever owned but it's the nicest one I have owned so far, IMHO.  (See my sig for a list of my other equipment.)  I'm very happy with my C80ED from AWB!   I'm glad I decided to get one before they were all gone!  :waytogo:

A new Orion 6x30 RACI finder arrived today.  A new Vixen Porta II mount / tripod will be delivered tomorrow.   :grin:

A couple of low resolution photos taken with my smartphone on Tuesday night:

20150120_firstlight-1.jpg

20150120_firstlight-2.jpg

Yep!  I'm one VERY happy boy!!   jumpsmiley.gif

Cheers!

-Bob F.  :)

• Sarkikos likes this

#404 mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:10 AM

Bob F, now you've made me even more anxious for my DSM-2b mount to arrive from Raul at Desert Sky Astro so I can get my new 80ED from AWB on it and my Oberwerk blem tall wood tripod.  I've made some acquisitions recently to supplement my current eyepiece collection so I'm ready to roll once the mount gets here.

• BFaucett and BillShakes like this

#405 Toddeo

Toddeo

Lift Off

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Here are a couple shots of the moon using the C80ED and a Canon T1i. Its hard for me to really know if I'm in the best focus-using just my "live view" screen.

Attached Files

• BFaucett likes this

#406 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

Here are a couple shots of the moon using the C80ED and a Canon T1i. Its hard for me to really know if I'm in the best focus-using just my "live view" screen.

Use live view and a Bahtinov mask, focus on a star.  Easy, works great, gives you excellent feedback on your quality of focus.  You'd have to spend a lot more to do any better.

#407 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

It's now a little mo' better!   :grin:

20150123_new-tripod.jpg

New Orion 6x30 RACI finder and new Vixen Porta II mount / tripod.

I assembled it this evening.  I actually have a clear sky tonight and I'm waiting on Jupiter to rise.  For sentimental reasons, I want Jupiter to be the first target using my new finder and tripod.   :grin:

(BTW:  I posted earlier in this thread that I had ordered an Orion VersaGo III tripod.  Well, it was damaged during shipping and was completely unusable.  I returned it and decided to go with the Porta II instead.)

Cheers!

-Bob F.  :)

• Sarkikos, Vondragonnoggin and mrpackerguy like this

#408 evan9162

evan9162

Messenger

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:08 PM

I just had one of the most transcendent views of the Moon that I've ever had, using my bino-modified C80ED and a pair of 20mm SWA eyepieces (30x).

From a technical standpoint, it wasn't that great - the moon was low in the sky, and seeing was terrible, and I wasn't using very high power...

BUT

The low power, wide FOV, thin crescent (with razor thin slivers of light at the poles) and bright Earthshine all combined to make the moon look like a very 3-dimensional cratered ball held at arms length.  

I would not have had this experience with the moon with my C6 SCT...nor would I have without modifying my scope to be bino friendly...

• BFaucett and BillShakes like this

#409 BillShakes

BillShakes

Sputnik

• Loc: Central New Hampshire, USA

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Bob F - Your setup looks just like mine, only I substituted a GLF for the finder scope.  I like the C80 on the Porta II - a nice combo that walks out the door easily!  

Thinking of upgrading to DSV 2 to add setting circles (and dual mount my C6 SCT).  Anybody had experience with that approach?  Can the DSV2 handle the weight of both and give a steady ride?

Mrpackerguy - what delivery estimate did Desert Sky give you on the DSV2?  If you got it - please give a report!

BS

• mrpackerguy and BFaucett like this

#410 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

I put my C80ED on a NexStar SE 6/8 mount for goto and tracking.  The scope is able to point to zenith if I attach it to a 16" dovetail piggybacked by a 7" dovetail.  The NexStar easily handles the C80ED.  I already had the NexStar, so I might as well use it.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, Yesterday, 07:57 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#411 Chich

Chich

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: NWT

Posted Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Just ordered one. it is in the mail :) Had to call and they said there were only a few left.

Have wanted to try out a refractor for a while. Have not had one since the 'wobbly scope' of my youth.

I also have an SE 6/8 mount sitting around so will pair it up with that. 

Now the wait...

• Sarkikos, BFaucett and BillShakes like this

#412 mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 PM

Bob F - Your setup looks just like mine, only I substituted a GLF for the finder scope. I like the C80 on the Porta II - a nice combo that walks out the door easily!

Thinking of upgrading to DSV 2 to add setting circles (and dual mount my C6 SCT). Anybody had experience with that approach? Can the DSV2 handle the weight of both and give a steady ride?

Mrpackerguy - what delivery estimate did Desert Sky give you on the DSV2? If you got it - please give a report!

BS

on 1/13,Raul told me it would be 3 weeks to have my DSV2 ready. So patiently waiting.
  • BFaucett likes this

#413 BFaucett

BFaucett

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Just ordered one. it is in the mail :) Had to call and they said there were only a few left.

Have wanted to try out a refractor for a while. Have not had one since the 'wobbly scope' of my youth.

I also have an SE 6/8 mount sitting around so will pair it up with that. 

Now the wait...

Congrats!  Clap.gif I don't think you will be disappointed with it.  I've really been enjoying mine.   I'm glad you were able to order one from AWB before they are all gone.

Two nights ago, I took my "little" C80ED up to 133x and 200x while observing the Moon (using 9mm and 6mm Orion Expanse EPs, respectively, with a 2x Barlow.)   I was VERY impressed with the views!  Wow!   :)   IMHO, this is one very nice and very capable little telescope.   :waytogo:

Yeah, I'm just a newbie and I don't have very much observing experience...  BUT, I gotta say, this little telescope makes me smile every time I use it.   :)

Cheers!  beer2.gif

-Bob F.   :)

Edited by BFaucett, Yesterday, 10:02 PM.

#414 BillShakes

BillShakes

Sputnik

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

I have the SE mount too and have used the C80 with it. Can't use the stock ring clamshell as the dovetail does not extend far enough from the tube to engage the SE shoe. Have to piggyback on another dovetail as Mike describes or mount with rings and a dovetail. I could clear the base at zenith with the set up "close" to balanced. GOTOs were good. A nice setup. 

I have been amazed at the optics on this scope. A great wide field and planetary viewer. Pair with an ES 24mm 68 and point it at M42 and say Wow!

BS

#415 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted Today, 12:13 AM

Thanks Chich. Let's hope it warms up in the Great White North when your scope arrives.

And FYI to all, I have confirmed that there are no more coming after those last few are gone.

Mike

#416 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 07:10 AM

I have the SE mount too and have used the C80 with it. Can't use the stock ring clamshell as the dovetail does not extend far enough from the tube to engage the SE shoe. Have to piggyback on another dovetail as Mike describes or mount with rings and a dovetail. I could clear the base at zenith with the set up "close" to balanced. GOTOs were good. A nice setup. 

I have been amazed at the optics on this scope. A great wide field and planetary viewer. Pair with an ES 24mm 68 and point it at M42 and say Wow!

BS

At first I placed the C80ED in rings attached to a 16" long dovetail.  But I still could not position the OTA forward and out enough to allow it to clear the mount when pointed at zenith with the drawtube fully extended.  So I piggybacked a 7" AstroTech dovetail on the lower end of the long dovetail.  This combination allowed enough clearance for the OTA.  IME, I needed to put the OTA in rings and piggyback dovetails for clearance at full back focus.  I didn't want the possibility that I could insert an eyepiece that required full back focus and have it hit the mount when slewing near zenith.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 07:22 AM.

#417 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 07:15 AM

Here are some pics of the C80ED on NexStar SE 6/8 mount.

Attached Files

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 07:19 AM.

#418 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 07:21 AM

Closeup of diagonal when C80ED is pointed to zenith on NexStar SE mount.  Drawtube is fully extended. The diagonal is a Meade 2".  The eyepiece is a Meade 5k UWA 24mm.

Attached Files

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 07:45 AM.

#419 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 07:25 AM

Closeups of the piggybacked dovetails.

Attached Files

#420 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 08:04 AM

Another little improvement I made to the C80ED is to add a dew shield.  This is one I had at home already that I bought for another scope.  The dew shield is an Orion.  It's just right for the C80ED.  I keep it on the scope all the time.

I can leave the lens cap on the scope, and either extend or retract the Orion dew shield.  When the dew shield is retracted, there is enough room for me to remove the lens cap and start observing.   It's the equivalent of one of those fancy-shmancy retractable dew shields on more expensive scopes.

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 08:06 AM.

#421 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 08:05 AM

Dew shield extension from the front.

Mike

Attached Files

#422 BillShakes

BillShakes

Sputnik

Posted Today, 08:25 AM

Nice pics Mike!  Does the extra dew shield give better performance - longer time before dew forms on the objective?  How much more time do you think you get?  2X? 

Have also been thinking about 2" diag and wide field eyepieces. But I know that means a whole new collection of eyepieces. How much greater is the FOV when moving to 2"?

BS

#423 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Today, 08:38 AM

So far, the objective with the extension on has never shown any dewing, and I live in a dewy area.  Also a glare-ridden area, so I'm sure the shield extension helps cut out ambient glare.  It's an inexpensive upgrade that is a no-brainer.

The largest TFOV you can achieve with the C80ED and 1.25" eyepieces is probably with the 24 Pan.  That will get you about 2.6 degrees.  The largest TFOV with 2" eyepieces is probably the Titan-II 40, which yields about 4.3 degrees.  A 31 T5 gives you about 4 degrees TFOV.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, Today, 08:39 AM.

#424 mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 08:49 AM

Bob F - Your setup looks just like mine, only I substituted a GLF for the finder scope.  I like the C80 on the Porta II - a nice combo that walks out the door easily!  

Thinking of upgrading to DSV 2 to add setting circles (and dual mount my C6 SCT).  Anybody had experience with that approach?  Can the DSV2 handle the weight of both and give a steady ride?

Mrpackerguy - what delivery estimate did Desert Sky give you on the DSV2?  If you got it - please give a report!

BS

I would email Raul about the 2 scope/weight issue.  He was very responsive to me.  Not immediate, but he did answer all my questions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics