CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#451 rockethead26

rockethead26

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

The T1 tool is different from the tool that is inside the Porta II mount. The Porta II tool is to adjust the tension on the alt and az axes. Not a good idea. That function should be provided by thumb screws or a lever that can be easily adjusted by hand in the dark, without a tool.

Mike

Seems to work fine for me. The mount is cleaner without knobs to get hung up or caught on something. I only have to adjust the tension when I change telescopes on the mount (C80ED or 60Ha). Takes about a minute. The mount is awesome for the scopes I use with it.

• BFaucett likes this

#452 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

The T1 tool is different from the tool that is inside the Porta II mount. The Porta II tool is to adjust the tension on the alt and az axes. Not a good idea. That function should be provided by thumb screws or a lever that can be easily adjusted by hand in the dark, without a tool.

Mike

Seems to work fine for me. The mount is cleaner without knobs to get hung up or caught on something. I only have to adjust the tension when I change telescopes on the mount (C80ED or 60Ha). Takes about a minute. The mount is awesome for the scopes I use with it.

OK, I need an unambiguous referent. Which mount are you talking about? The T1 or the Porta II? I'm going to assume the Porta II, because you say it is "without knobs."

The lack of knobs to easily and quickly adjust the tension on the axes was a prime reason why I did not select the Porta II, but went for the Voyager instead. The knobs on the Voyager are small and never get in the way. I like being able to adjust the tension on-the-fly.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 15 February 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#453 rockethead26

rockethead26

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Mike

OK, I need an unambiguous referent. Which mount are you talking about? The T1 or the Porta II? I'm going to assume the Porta II, because you say it is "without knobs."

The lack of knobs to easily and quickly adjust the tension on the axes was a prime reason why I did not select the Porta II, but went for the Voyager instead. The knobs on the Voyager are small and never get in the way. I like being able to adjust the tension on-the-fly.

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I have the Porta II as listed in my sig. I guess my point was that I never really need to adjust my tension on the fly. Once it's adjusted for the telescope I'm using, I never have to touch it, which I prefer to having to constantly adjust it which it seems you have to do with the Voyager. It's just like every other piece of Astronomy equipment, different strokes for different folks. I just thought you were overly disparaging a very good mount.

#454 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

Well, actually I don't have to constantly adjust the tension on the Voyager. But when I want to adjust it, I can just reach around and do it, without having to take out a tool. Just makes sense to me. I also like having tension adjust knobs on my 501HDV, and on my MicroStar.

Unfortunately, I don't have tension adjustment on my foldable Dob mount. After dealing with that, I want easy tension adjustment on every mount I buy. It's one of the things I demand from any mount I'm considering buying.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 15 February 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#455 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oahu

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Thanks. Now I understand that the tool in the Twilight 1 is for setting the angle of the arm, and perhaps for tightening it in the field if that's necessary. What I do is just gather all the tools I might possibly need, put them in a little zippered bag and throw the bag in a stone bag hanging from the spreader.

Well, I would pass on taking the Allen key for tightening the arm. Once cinched down, it doesn't come loose. The Twilight 1 is a cheap mount, but "they" thought out some of the details on it. My one complaint involves the shortness of the tripod.

#456 evan9162

evan9162

Viking 1

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

I jumped on a killer deal on a GSO 2-speed linear bearing focuser.  It was secondhand, but unused - it came off a GSO R/C scope.

The retaining collar on the GSO focuser is the same M90x1.0 thread on the end of the C80ED tube.  The focuser flange doesn't match the ID of the OTA, but if you found something to act as a filler gasket (O-ring or even plastic plumbing gasket), this would not require any adapters to mount to the tube, and would simply bolt on.

In addition, the GSO focuser is a bit more than an inch shorter than the stock focuser, so you would make your scope instantly binoviewer friendly without (the apparently horrendously offensive and sinful act of) shortening the tube.

However, since I already had committed said crime, and wanted proper focuser spacing, I machined an adapter to both make up the additional length, and mate exactly to the mounting flange of the GSO focuser.  I also plan on mounting a Vixen-style finder bracket to the flange.

The drawtube travel of the new focuser is quite a bit shorter than the stock focuser, so I also made an extension tube for mono-viewing and imaging.

The new focuser is a HUGE upgrade to the stock focuser (obviously).  No backlash, no image shift, and precise focusing.  With the old focuser, the drawtube would tilt easily, affecting collimation.  Now collimation is perfect, even with heavy binoviewers hanging off barlows and extension tubes.

Attached Files

• Sarkikos likes this

#457 jonkjon

jonkjon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

That's a thing of beauty right there....nicely done. Who among us has not sinned? lol.....

--Jon

#458 evan9162

evan9162

Viking 1

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks

Not without bumps in the road though...

Last night, I was mounting a vixen finder shoe to to the mounting ring - drilling and tapping two holes to receive screws for the shoe.  I was halfway through tapping the first hole when the tap snapped off just below the surface, leaving the broken half completely buried inside.  I always use cutting fluid and proceed slowly.  Apparently, I did not drill a large enough hole for the thread (M4-0.7).  I'd used the same size drill for other holes I had tapped with the same thread, but they were not as deep as these.

So now there's an ugly hole with a tap buried in it to the side of the mounting shoe.

Lesson learned - always make sure you've really got the right size hole for the tap you're using.

Edited by evan9162, 26 March 2015 - 07:10 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics