CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
470 replies to this topic

#451 rockethead26

rockethead26

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:20 PM

The T1 tool is different from the tool that is inside the Porta II mount. The Porta II tool is to adjust the tension on the alt and az axes. Not a good idea. That function should be provided by thumb screws or a lever that can be easily adjusted by hand in the dark, without a tool.

Mike

Seems to work fine for me. The mount is cleaner without knobs to get hung up or caught on something. I only have to adjust the tension when I change telescopes on the mount (C80ED or 60Ha). Takes about a minute. The mount is awesome for the scopes I use with it.

• BFaucett likes this

#452 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:17 PM

The T1 tool is different from the tool that is inside the Porta II mount. The Porta II tool is to adjust the tension on the alt and az axes. Not a good idea. That function should be provided by thumb screws or a lever that can be easily adjusted by hand in the dark, without a tool.

Mike

Seems to work fine for me. The mount is cleaner without knobs to get hung up or caught on something. I only have to adjust the tension when I change telescopes on the mount (C80ED or 60Ha). Takes about a minute. The mount is awesome for the scopes I use with it.

OK, I need an unambiguous referent. Which mount are you talking about? The T1 or the Porta II? I'm going to assume the Porta II, because you say it is "without knobs."

The lack of knobs to easily and quickly adjust the tension on the axes was a prime reason why I did not select the Porta II, but went for the Voyager instead. The knobs on the Voyager are small and never get in the way. I like being able to adjust the tension on-the-fly.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 15 February 2015 - 11:20 PM.

#453 rockethead26

rockethead26

Soyuz

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:26 PM

Mike

OK, I need an unambiguous referent. Which mount are you talking about? The T1 or the Porta II? I'm going to assume the Porta II, because you say it is "without knobs."

The lack of knobs to easily and quickly adjust the tension on the axes was a prime reason why I did not select the Porta II, but went for the Voyager instead. The knobs on the Voyager are small and never get in the way. I like being able to adjust the tension on-the-fly.

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I have the Porta II as listed in my sig. I guess my point was that I never really need to adjust my tension on the fly. Once it's adjusted for the telescope I'm using, I never have to touch it, which I prefer to having to constantly adjust it which it seems you have to do with the Voyager. It's just like every other piece of Astronomy equipment, different strokes for different folks. I just thought you were overly disparaging a very good mount.

#454 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

Well, actually I don't have to constantly adjust the tension on the Voyager. But when I want to adjust it, I can just reach around and do it, without having to take out a tool. Just makes sense to me. I also like having tension adjust knobs on my 501HDV, and on my MicroStar.

Unfortunately, I don't have tension adjustment on my foldable Dob mount. After dealing with that, I want easy tension adjustment on every mount I buy. It's one of the things I demand from any mount I'm considering buying.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 15 February 2015 - 11:38 PM.

#455 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oahu

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Thanks. Now I understand that the tool in the Twilight 1 is for setting the angle of the arm, and perhaps for tightening it in the field if that's necessary. What I do is just gather all the tools I might possibly need, put them in a little zippered bag and throw the bag in a stone bag hanging from the spreader.

Well, I would pass on taking the Allen key for tightening the arm. Once cinched down, it doesn't come loose. The Twilight 1 is a cheap mount, but "they" thought out some of the details on it. My one complaint involves the shortness of the tripod.

#456 evan9162

evan9162

Viking 1

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

I jumped on a killer deal on a GSO 2-speed linear bearing focuser.  It was secondhand, but unused - it came off a GSO R/C scope.

The retaining collar on the GSO focuser is the same M90x1.0 thread on the end of the C80ED tube.  The focuser flange doesn't match the ID of the OTA, but if you found something to act as a filler gasket (O-ring or even plastic plumbing gasket), this would not require any adapters to mount to the tube, and would simply bolt on.

In addition, the GSO focuser is a bit more than an inch shorter than the stock focuser, so you would make your scope instantly binoviewer friendly without (the apparently horrendously offensive and sinful act of) shortening the tube.

However, since I already had committed said crime, and wanted proper focuser spacing, I machined an adapter to both make up the additional length, and mate exactly to the mounting flange of the GSO focuser.  I also plan on mounting a Vixen-style finder bracket to the flange.

The drawtube travel of the new focuser is quite a bit shorter than the stock focuser, so I also made an extension tube for mono-viewing and imaging.

The new focuser is a HUGE upgrade to the stock focuser (obviously).  No backlash, no image shift, and precise focusing.  With the old focuser, the drawtube would tilt easily, affecting collimation.  Now collimation is perfect, even with heavy binoviewers hanging off barlows and extension tubes.

Attached Files

• Sarkikos likes this

#457 jonkjon

jonkjon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

That's a thing of beauty right there....nicely done. Who among us has not sinned? lol.....

--Jon

#458 evan9162

evan9162

Viking 1

• Loc: Boise, ID

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks

Not without bumps in the road though...

Last night, I was mounting a vixen finder shoe to to the mounting ring - drilling and tapping two holes to receive screws for the shoe.  I was halfway through tapping the first hole when the tap snapped off just below the surface, leaving the broken half completely buried inside.  I always use cutting fluid and proceed slowly.  Apparently, I did not drill a large enough hole for the thread (M4-0.7).  I'd used the same size drill for other holes I had tapped with the same thread, but they were not as deep as these.

So now there's an ugly hole with a tap buried in it to the side of the mounting shoe.

Lesson learned - always make sure you've really got the right size hole for the tap you're using.

Edited by evan9162, 26 March 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#459 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

SURPRISE!

It's been quiet here for a while so to liven things up I have an announcement that should be of interest to those of you who missed out on buying the Celestron 80 ED before the last of them were sold.

In what amounts to an archaeological dig (in other words, packing to move) an employee has found two remaining 80 ED's that are now available to purchase.

Both appear to be returns (open box). They have been checked out and are unused, in the box, with full Celestron new product 2-year warranty.

1. A complete telescope with nothing missing selling for the regular price of $349 (which is still way below the normal retail when this was a current item).
  2. A telescope missing the tube rings, otherwise unused. If you're going to be mounting the telescope without using the included mounting rings then this will save you $20 on something you don't need anyway. Selling for $329.

Both prices include free shipping in the US, as before.

One only Celestron 80 ED for $349

One only Celestron 80 ED missing tube rings for $329

Post questions here. First come, first served. Come and get 'em!

Mike

• BFaucett likes this

#460 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

And for those wanting a super deal on something bigger, we now have a 127mm f/6.5 from Explore Scientific that was discontinued when an updated version was introduced. This is an air-spaced doublet (achromat). We have 3 only available for sale at $450 with free shipping in the US. It's as good a steal as the Celestron 80 ED is, just $100 more for more than twice the light-gathering power and 50% more resolution.

Both the Celeston and Explore Scientific telescopes are available for purchase outside the US if the customer pays shipping.

Mike

#461 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 June 2015 - 11:30 PM

Both appear to be returns (open box). They have been checked out and are unused, in the box, with full Celestron new product 2-year warranty.
  1. A complete telescope with nothing missing selling for the regular price of $349 (which is still way below the normal retail when this was a current item).
  2. A telescope missing the tube rings, otherwise unused. If you're going to be mounting the telescope without using the included mounting rings then this will save you $20 on something you don't need anyway. Selling for $329.

Both prices include free shipping in the US, as before.

One only Celestron 80 ED for $349

One only Celestron 80 ED missing tube rings for $329

And #1 is gone. Who will be the lucky purchaser of #2?

Or the Explore Scientific 127 achromats?

Remember, 100% of proceeds go to Astronomers Without Borders worldwide astronomy programs. You get new gear at a great price while doing something good. It's not a tax deduction since you're getting something in return but it might help convince your other half that it just needs to be done. :)

Mike

#462 bgi

bgi

Viking 1

• Loc: Ga

Posted 08 June 2015 - 12:56 PM

Yep the allen wrench is for assembly/dis-assembly of various components.  There's a lever on the brakes.  If the top is too wobbly, you'll need to remove the spreader, take the top off, and tighten a hex nut to take out some of the "wobble" but don't get it too tight.  That should be a one-time adjustment.  The Orion-branded version I got had terribad instructions, but it's not too hard to assemble once you get the spacer ring and snap ring on the spreader bolt.

#463 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

And the two recently discovered Celestron 80mm ED refractors are now gone.

The Explore Scientific 127 refractor and other items on sale -- donated by vendors to support Astronomers Without Borders programs -- are still available in the AWB store.

Mike

#464 mattyk-usa

mattyk-usa

Vostok 1

• Loc: Savannah, GA

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

The Explore Scientific 127 refractor and other items on sale -- donated by vendors to support Astronomers Without Borders programs -- are still available in the AWB store.

Mike

There is one less ES 127 is no longer available, I'm afraid. The combination of opportunity and value was too much to pass by.  :salute:   Thank you Mike, for all you do.

Edit: thought there was only one left, sorry Mike.

Edited by mattyk-usa, 14 June 2015 - 06:58 PM.

#465 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:31 PM

The new focuser is a HUGE upgrade to the stock focuser (obviously).  No backlash, no image shift, and precise focusing.  With the old focuser, the drawtube would tilt easily, affecting collimation.  Now collimation is perfect, even with heavy binoviewers hanging off barlows and extension tubes.

Nice looking upgrade, but I get no image shift or backlash with the standard focuser. There are these tiny adjustment screws on the top of the focuser that take care of the image shift. Other screws on the bottom of the focuser take care of the backlash. It's surprising how tweakable the stock focuser is.

• BFaucett likes this

#466 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:47 PM

Mike

There is one less ES 127 is no longer available, I'm afraid. The combination of opportunity and value was too much to pass by.  :salute:   Thank you Mike, for all you do.

Thanks for supporting Astronomers Without Borders through your purchase.

There were three of the Explore Scientific 127mm refractors donated to us by Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes so there are two left, priced to move quickly.

Clear skies and enjoy the scope!

Mike

#467 Toddeo

Toddeo

Sputnik

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 16 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well, I picked up a used 2-speed focuser - off of a RC-6 scope. It screws right on(90mm threads). To give me more back focus , I bought a 1" threaded Attached File  P1140333_opt.jpg   84.42KB   4 downloadsAttached File  P1140331_opt.jpg   83.83KB   5 downloadsextension ring from Agena and also a 2" extension focuser tube(quicker to mount/dis mount). This focuser is much better than the stock focuser, Todd.

Attached Files

Edited by Toddeo, 16 June 2015 - 01:00 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#468 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

I just now brought in my C80ED from an enjoyable observing session with my wife.  The scope was in its original clamshell and dovetail, which I mounted on a 501HDV and Bogen tripod.  I also brought out a foldable camping stool.  A Baader Zeiss prism diagonal was in the focuser.  The only eyepiece I used was a Nagler 3-6 Zoom.  I have the original focuser, which I've never adjusted.  It works fine, no problem.

We were able to look at Saturn, Rasalgethi, Graffias and M5 before the clouds rolled in for the next storm.  The seeing was good.  We could see the Cassini Division all the way around, the crepe ring, shadow of the globe on the rings.  The diffraction ring around the primary of Rasalgethi was sharp and steady.  I had no trouble pushing the power up to the 3mm setting, giving 200x and 0.4mm exit pupil, on all of these objects.  63x per inch!  And the C80ED was ready-to-go as soon as I set it out, no waiting.

I don't think this little scope will be going anywhere anytime soon.   :waytogo:

Mike 

Edited by Sarkikos, 17 June 2015 - 05:53 AM.

• Crow Haven, rockethead26 and BFaucett like this

#469 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:17 PM

I just now brought in my C80ED from an enjoyable observing session with my wife. ...

I don't think this little scope will be going anywhere anytime soon.   :waytogo:

Nice. Yes, the optical quality is first rate. I replaced the erecting prism with a standard Takahashi 1.25". It's not as versatile as the Baader/Zeiss, but it gets the job done. I also appreciate the longer f-ratio. Was the seeing steady enough to get 200x with your zoom?

#470 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

Yes, the seeing was steady enough for the NZ 3-6 at 200x.  It was the only eyepiece I brought out with me.  Next time I think I'll bring out the 24 Pan as well.   Those two eyepieces should do well enough.  

I have 2" diagonals that would widen the view with 2" eyepieces.  But they also make the setup heavier for grab-n-go and more unbalanced when viewing near zenith.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 17 June 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#471 MSimmons

MSimmons

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

Mike

Thanks for supporting Astronomers Without Borders through your purchase.

There were three of the Explore Scientific 127mm refractors donated to us by Woodland Hills Camera and Telescopes so there are two left, priced to move quickly.

Clear skies and enjoy the scope!

Mike

And another is gone, so there is only one left.

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics