Astronomers Without Borders 80ED isStill Available

• Please log in to reply
302 replies to this topic

#26 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:20 AM

I am planning to see how well the stock focuser can be tuned up before I work on replacing it.

I have never reworked a C80ED focuser but the typical Synta focuser benefits from a tune up. Replacing the plastic bearing pads with Teflon and oversized knobs are also helpful..

Jon

#27 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 05 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

At least the focuser is a 2". That is something.

Mike

#28 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

It's a great scope, and smaller than the Orion version with the same lens cell. The real question: why did they stop making them? If only I could have had one when I was a little kid instead of the 60mm long tube.

-Rich

#29 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Has anyone tried to fit a binoviewer to the 80ED? Is there enough in-focus without having to do surgery on the OTA or use an OCA?

Mike

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have never reworked a C80ED focuser but the typical Synta focuser benefits from a tune up. Replacing the plastic bearing pads with Teflon and oversized knobs are also helpful..

Jon

Advice on where to purchase the Teflon and oversized knobs?

Mike

#31 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

I have and the only way I can get it to focus is to use the 1.6x barlow that comes with the WO BV kit....not bad!

Bob

#32 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Jon, what grease did you use to replace the stock grease?

I have a tube of Moly-Lithium Grease and a tube of White Lithium Grease that I'm not sure what the difference is? A couple of people recommended then to grease the baffle of my Mead ETX to correct image shift when focusing. I still have not opened the scope yet to do it.

#33 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

I used white lithium from the local hardware and it's been perfectly fine for the last eight months. You only need a little. The key is to get every last bit of the factory gunk out. I had to use Break Free gun cleaner to remove it.

#34 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

Well, I hope you all are happy ... I ordered a C80 ED from AWB. The wife was OK with it. I wonder what she wants? :question: I'll find out soon enough ... :ubetcha:

I suppose this means I'm on the path to APO perdition. :mrevil:

Mike

Good man, I love it when my brain wash technique works, enjoy the scope , you won,t regret it,you can get oversize focuser knobs from Fokus Knobs however try the stock focuser and knobs before tinkering, my two samples were fine, DA. :waytogo:

#35 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Jon

Advice on where to purchase the Teflon and oversized knobs?

Mike

Mike:

I buy Teflon sheet with an etched backing from McMaster-Carr. I have written up the way I tuned up the Synta focusers a number of times.. someday I think I will do a Youtube video.. :)

Reworking a Synta Rack and Pinion focuser

I have never done the C80ED, I can only assume it is the same. The important thing is adjusting the drawtube "gibs" before installing the pinion assembly. That way you can be sure it is tight and smooth.

As far as knobs, one is enough, you can make them out of wood. You can buy them online from Focusknobs. I think Scope stuff carries his stuff. I have never bought anything from them but they are close by, I pass them by on way to the mountains.

As far as grease, light white lithium grease, a very, very light coating is good.

Jon

#36 NextPlanetPlz

NextPlanetPlz

Mariner 2

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

Has anyone used both the Celestron C80ED and the Televue Ranger?
Would you consider the C80ED worthwhile to replace a Ranger or are the differences not enough to drop $350?

#37 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

The Ranger is only an Achromat and so has plenty of false color.

I've owned both the Ranger and Orion ED-80 (same optics as the Celestron here), and while they were both sharp scopes, I'd pick the color-free view any day of the week.

Part of this might be that I am still PO'ed about Al allowing his dealers to promote the Ranger/Pronto as having "ED" glass. - Fake ED, yes, but real meaningful ED, No. :ohgeeze:

This scope has FPL 53, which is top of the line, real ED.

$350? - It's a No Brainer!

IMHO...

#38 chickenplucker

chickenplucker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

Anybody know if the Agena focuser adapter for the C80 is available elsewhere? Currently it's showing out of stock and is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on this.

http://agenaastro.co...0ed-refracto...

My biggest fear is the rack and pinion focuser not being up to the task of holding the weight a DSLR. I'd hate to have a wonderful scope with no upgrade paths if the focuser decides to go or ends up being a problem.

#39 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:00 AM

If I see that the adapter is available anywhere, I'll post it in this thread ... after securing one for myself, of course.

:grin:
Mike

#40 nodalpoint

nodalpoint

Apollo

• Loc: FEMA camp

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

My biggest fear is the rack and pinion focuser not being up to the task of holding the weight a DSLR. I'd hate to have a wonderful scope with no upgrade paths if the focuser decides to go or ends up being a problem.

The focuser holds the weight of a DSLR, plus a field flattener, just fine.

#41 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

My summary so far of expectations for the 80ED:

- Great optics, especially "for the money." (I'm starting to detest that phrase as much as I do "you get what you pay for.")

- Mediocre focuser. But it should be alright at least for visual use. (I have absolutely no interest in AP.) However, might be overburdened by the uber-heavy wide-field eyepieces. I'll have to see. (Do we really need to see everything in a 100 degree field?)

- Limited binoviewer capability. To come to focus, you either need to saw off the end of the tube or use an OCA. So could have planet/lunar binoviewing potential, but not so good for deep sky and rich field. I think I'll just monoview this scope.

- Decent chroma correction for lunar, bright planets and bright stars.

Mike

#42 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

I've used the old Baader planetarium 60 degree binoviewers on mine. It works beautifully- the barrel shaped front portion is actually a 2" mounting.

I don't know if there is enough in-focus for diagonal and binoviewer setups.

-Rich

Has anyone tried to fit a binoviewer to the 80ED? Is there enough in-focus without having to do surgery on the OTA or use an OCA?

Mike

#43 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

I've used the old Baader planetarium 60 degree binoviewers on mine. It works beautifully- the barrel shaped front portion is actually a 2" mounting.

I don't know if there is enough in-focus for diagonal and binoviewer setups.

-Rich

I didn't know that these 60 degree binoviewers even existed. Are they still available? Do they allow enough in-focus in native mode, without an OCA?

AFAIK, there is not enough in-focus for diagonal + binoviewer. I'm not going to use my binoviewers in straight-through fashion. I'm not that obsessive about binoviewing.

Mike

#44 joseph07081

joseph07081

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:39 AM

If I see that the adapter is available anywhere, I'll post it in this thread ... after securing one for myself, of course.

:grin:
Mike

Please do.... I have been searching since I ordered mine, but no luck so far.

BTW..... Will we receive a shipping notice when the scope ships or will it just kind of show up?

#45 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

So far I have received only an email confirming my order, no "order shipped" email.

Mike

#46 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

For those who must have a Crayford focuser, you can always order one from Moonlite. $275 for single speed, $375 for dual speed.

Mike

#47 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

The focuser holds the weight of a DSLR, plus a field flattener, just fine.

Yes.

Attached Files

#48 EJN

EJN

Vanguard

• Loc: 53 miles west of Venus

Posted 06 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

And while the stock focuser is not as good as a Crayford, it
is still adequate to get good images.

And at f/7.5, I feel it is good enough without a field flattener.

Taken last week with the setup pictured above.

Attached Files

#49 m9x18

m9x18

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Very nice picture! It goes to show the scope is capable!

#50 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

It's only available in black?

I guess you get what you ask for.

Heck of a bang for your buck though!

More mashed potatoes?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics