Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Stock focuser with DSLR and flattener:

Posted Image

#52 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Here is a shot taken with it with stock focuser and a Canon DSLR.

Attached Files

#53 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

So far I have received only an email confirming my order, no "order shipped" email.

Mike

When I ordered mine many months ago it was the same situation -- it just showed up without any email notice that it had been shipped.
You will love this scope, it is every bit as good as the others have stated and shown! :grin:
---Maya

#54 m9x18

m9x18

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Abilene, Texas USA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

C80ED + A SKILLED PHOTOGRAPHER = BEAUTIFUL SKY PIX! :bow:

#55 chickenplucker

chickenplucker

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Wow, very nice images guys! Thanks for clearing up my focuser fears, was sitting on the fence on this one but now have fallen off into the checkout lane :)

#56 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thank you Robert! It is a nice sharp scope for sure.

Bob

#57 joseph07081

joseph07081

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Chippewa, PA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

All of the encouraging pictures and descriptions really have me excited to get this in my hands and out under some starlight. I ordered my mounting rings and dovetail from Agena Astro today, so hopefully all of the pieces will show up soon.

#58 Patrik Iver

Patrik Iver

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kaarina, Finland

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

The stock focusers can be pretty bad.

I got my C80ED used maybe 5 years ago, and the focuser really was irritatingly bad. Huge image shift, yet sticky operation. In subsequent discussions with the guy who sold it to me, it turned out that the focuser was the main reasin he did not really enjoy the telescope that much - he replaced it with a MCT.
Anyway, I had previously adjusted away the image shift in a worn Vixen R&P focuser, so I understood he adjustment procedure, but I could still not get the Celestron focuser to work properly - as soon as the image shift was gone, the stickiness and jerkyness became very bad. I took it apart, cleaned everything, and replaced the grease with a synthetic lubricant I had successfully used in GEM's, but the improvement was minor. Then I swiched to a PTFE-grease, and after careful adjustment, the focuser has worked reasonably well. Some minor image shift, but smooth, and quite useable. Not worth upgrading, in my opinion, even if the optics are nice enough to warrant a nice focuser.

I have telescopes with Vixen, AP and Feathertouch rack and pinion focusers, as well as a Moonlite Crayford, and I have had a (not too good) GSO Crayford, so I have some experience of good focusers, and warts and all, I find the Celestron stock R&P acceptable.

Bottom line, they can be bad, but might be easily fixable, and the telescope is an absolute bargain at the price discussed in this thread.

#59 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

I wonder how many C80ED's AWB had in stock? As of now, they're still available per the AWB website. Haven't they been selling them at this price since last summer?

I see from some CN threads that there were C80ED's on sale somewhere about six years ago. The price then was around $250 to $300! I missed that opportunity. But this sale is still very nice.

Mike

#60 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

I've seen the AWB C80's come in and out of availability. My *guess* is that Celestron has made available to them a pretty sizeable supply at a fantastic price, but they don't want to order too much (probably for reasons relating to tying up meager capital). So they order say 20, then when they run out they order 20 more...

:)

Of course nobody knows how well stocked the Celestron larder is. We do know that the scope is no longer made, so at some point (whether tomorrow or two years from now) they'll run out for real.

#61 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

So far I have received only an email confirming my order, no "order shipped" email.

Mike

When I ordered mine many months ago it was the same situation -- it just showed up without any email notice that it had been shipped.
You will love this scope, it is every bit as good as the others have stated and shown! :grin:
---Maya

Hi Maya,

How long did it take for the C80ED to arrive after you ordered it?

I'm confident I will like the scope. I've a feeling it will become my favorite grab-n-go. Now I'm looking around to figure out which of my other scopes I ought to sell [eyes glancing at C102GT, A80MF and ST80].

:grin:
Mike

#62 joseph07081

joseph07081

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:41 PM

Mike

---Maya

Hi Maya,

I'm confident I will like the scope. I've a feeling it will become my favorite grab-n-go. Now I'm looking around to figure out which of my scopes I ought to sell.

Mike

Yes Maya, inquiring (and impatient) minds want to know :)

#63 gder01

gder01

Sputnik

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

Need something portable for when I am too cold/lazy to deal with my 3 in. reflector. Can't decide if I should go with the AT72ED or an 80ED for my light polluted sky. The focuser on the C80ED as well as an inevitable 8 or 10in. dob makes me lean towards the 72ED.

#64 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

... and yet there is that additional 8mm aperture in the C80ED.

Mike

#65 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

Need something portable for when I am too cold/lazy to deal with my 3 in. reflector. Can't decide if I should go with the AT72ED or an 80ED for my light polluted sky. The focuser on the C80ED as well as an inevitable 8 or 10in. dob makes me lean towards the 72ED.

To add my 2 cents on the focuser on the C80ED. I was perfectly happy with the stock focuser when using low and medium power eyepieces. It was pretty smooth and I felt it was adequate for my intended use. Then, when I decided to use the 80ED to look at Mars on a near perfect night instead of my 120ED, I experienced some frustration trying to get perfect focus at 120-170x. I have it mounted on a Porta Mount II and there is a little shake when focusing at high power with the standard focuser.

Add this one night of "focuser issues" to always wanting to improve and pretty-up my scopes and I decided to upgrade the focuser to the GSO crayford. It wasn't really necessary as I bought this scope for a grab-and-go widefield stuff, not for serious planetary viewing.

The original focuser was even better after I had cleaned out the heavy stock grease and replaced it with a light coat of lithium grease. I just couldn't help myself when I thought about upgrading.

The point of all this ramble is that a lot of folks are happy with the stock focuser and I think the excellent optics on this scope warrant serious consideration. You can always upgrade the focuser to a Moonlight down the road if you "just gotta" (or the GSO if anyone produces the adapter again).

The C80ED really is an outstanding scope.

#66 MSimmons

MSimmons

Vendor - Astronomers Without Borders

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hi All,

I can answer some of the questions about this scope being asked here.

I've seen the AWB C80's come in and out of availability. My *guess* is that Celestron has made available to them a pretty sizeable supply at a fantastic price, but they don't want to order too much (probably for reasons relating to tying up meager capital). So they order say 20, then when they run out they order 20 more...

Celestron is a big supporter of AWB, and when 25 of these were found in their warehouse they donated them to us. There's no capital for us to put up -- we just sell them and notify Celestron to drop-ship them. After those sold they found some more so they gave those to us, too. That's happened several times so every time we thought this well had gone dry we've ended up with more. That's why the site would show them as gone and then it would come back. We thought all the remaining stock was gone. Actually, there were a few times we knew there was more but they had transferred a limited number to stock so we had to wait for that to be replenished. Maybe we should nickname this scope "Phoenix." :) They don't know why they weren't blown out by Celestron years ago when the scope was discontinued but that's worked to our advantage.

This is pure donation -- we don't pay anything for them. When you buy one of these scopes every penny goes to support AWB's worldwide astronomy programs. Celestron even donates the shipping to the US and Canada. As well as their labor to do this.

Of course nobody knows how well stocked the Celestron larder is. We do know that the scope is no longer made, so at some point (whether tomorrow or two years from now) they'll run out for real.

I do! :) There are around 60 or 70 of them available now. Celestron usually transfers 25 at a time to stock so if the site shows them as being out of stock it will only be a couple days before there are more available. Until they're gone. Celestron says this is the last of them, and I think this time that's really the case. This is kind of a sleeper most of the time with people not knowing about it, but when there's a Cloudynights thread or some other mention online the orders start coming in. So there's no way to know how long these will last but there are several orders per week at the moment.

For those who mentioned that they never heard anything more after being notified about the scope shipping, that's because Celestron ships them and sometimes we have trouble getting a tracking number from them before the scope is delivered. They're doing us a huge favor so we can't be pushy. But if there's every any issue or question just drop us a line at products@astronomerswithoutborders.org and we'll get answers to you.

#67 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

Mike

---Maya

Hi Maya,

I'm confident I will like the scope. I've a feeling it will become my favorite grab-n-go. Now I'm looking around to figure out which of my scopes I ought to sell.

Mike

Yes Maya, inquiring (and impatient) minds want to know :)

:grin: Okay, I found my order. I placed it on April 15, 2014 and I received the scope on April 21. I had no idea how long it would take to get the scope and was okay with whatever wait there might be. You will love this scope! :grin:
---Maya

#68 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Both of mine arrived in Ontario, Canada about week and a half after ordering them, no taxes, duty ,shipping costs, as for the comparison between the AT 72 and the C80, having had both I will take the C80, its cheaper and shows more, however the mechanics on the AT72 are a bit nicer.DA.

#69 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

:grin: Okay, I found my order. I placed it on April 15, 2014 and I received the scope on April 21. I had no idea how long it would take to get the scope and was okay with whatever wait there might be. You will love this scope! :grin:
---Maya

Thanks, Maya!

Mike

#70 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

There are around 60 or 70 of them available now. Celestron usually transfers 25 at a time to stock so if the site shows them as being out of stock it will only be a couple days before there are more available. Until they're gone. Celestron says this is the last of them, and I think this time that's really the case. This is kind of a sleeper most of the time with people not knowing about it, but when there's a Cloudynights thread or some other mention online the orders start coming in. So there's no way to know how long these will last but there are several orders per week at the moment.

These 80ED's were flying under my radar until very recently. I'm glad I finally found out about this opportunity and was able to order one before they're all gone. Keep up the good work! :waytogo:

Mike

#71 darylf96

darylf96

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Danville, California

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

That would make a nice piggyback/guidesope for my setup. I would think that the optics are equal to the Orion 80ED, so this is a great price.

#72 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

I can answer some of the questions about this scope being asked here.

Thanks for replacing my guesses with facts!

#73 joseph07081

joseph07081

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thank you Maya for the information.
Thank you Mike S for the background information concerning these scopes.
I am glad the proceeds are going to a good cause.

I wanted to purchase one of these scopes years ago before they were discontinued but I had other important priorities at the time. I am glad I have another chance to purchase one while I am able to.

#74 AngryHandyman

AngryHandyman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

It's definitely a great scope, I ordered mine from AWB last summer and it arrived in under 2 weeks to Canada. The stock focuser hasn't been an issue at all for me, and i'm still using the clamshell to mount it to my Porta II. Other than swapping out the 45 degree diagnol for a 2" 90 degree diagnol that I already own its used as boxed, and i love it!

#75 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Apollo

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

A wonderful scope benefiting a wonderful cause. I've had great views with mine, and the portability is superb.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics