MrBill's new APM Apos....

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#376 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Question....why does the font change and go to bold when I edit ?

I also noticed it when I went from the reply screen to the "more edit options"

:confused:

#377 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

This is what I've been using lately....

Attached Files

• ianatcn likes this

#378 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

That is a lovely picture and one that makes me feel the anticipation of a night under truly dark skies. The stomach knotting feeling of excitement I experience when getting my gear ready for an all nighter. The simplicity of the equipment is another thing that is so refreshing these days.

I managed two hours out under Crystal clear skies last night before clouds rolled in. My plan was to scan the milky way from south to north but I made the mistake of starting in Cygnus and spent the whole two hours in that constellation alone. Apart from an excursion down to view M11 before I packed up. I was once again using only the Delos 10mm eyepieces and carried the APM binocular, tripod and atlas out in one go. It Isn't often that I get a new optical instrument that I use to the exclusion of all my others for so long but these apo binoculars are incredible. I can see myself sticking with these through autumn ( or fall if you prefer) and into winter.

I am so glad I decided to get the 45° model rather than wait for the 90°. My reservations about finding them awkward to point accurately were unfounded. Even at 55x sighting along the barrels is straightforward. I haven't even fitted the red dot finder yet!

I am using mine on an old 1960's vintage Gitzo tripod with geared rising column and head. Incredibly smooth and vibration free. Getting to the zenith while standing is easy. I am 5' 9" tall (I thought I was 5' 10" until a recent medical which at least means I don't have to extend the tripod legs as far - one advantage of old age).

#379 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

The other candidate for me would be the 17.3mm Delos. 

I know that they reach focus (barely) as I borrowed one off the TV rep at this years GSSP. It seemed the field didn't have the problems the 19mm Pan has...

the Delos was flat and in focus to the edge of the field.

They have about 2mm left before they bottom out.

That also means the 14mm Delos would work as both have the same fieldstop position relative to the ep shoulder.

Only cost me $600 to find out.... ;)

Bill,

I have been eyeing up the  17.3 Delos as a low power eyepiece with this binocular. I found that the 24 Panoptics give too bright a sky background and, of course, the ghosting appears more apparent in these. The 19 Panoptics are better but I just love the long eye relief and accessibility of the 72° field in the Delos. I will certainly keep the Panoptic pairs as they work well  in the TV binoviewer.

I am going to ask my TV dealer to lend me a pair to ensure I can reach focus before buying.

#380 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

That is a lovely picture and one that makes me feel the anticipation of a night under truly dark skies. The stomach knotting feeling of excitement I experience when getting my gear ready for an all nighter. The simplicity of the equipment is another thing that is so refreshing these days.

I managed two hours out under Crystal clear skies last night before clouds rolled in. My plan was to scan the milky way from south to north but I made the mistake of starting in Cygnus and spent the whole two hours in that constellation alone. Apart from an excursion down to view M11 before I packed up. I was once again using only the Delos 10mm eyepieces and carried the APM binocular, tripod and atlas out in one go. It Isn't often that I get a new optical instrument that I use to the exclusion of all my others for so long but these apo binoculars are incredible. I can see myself sticking with these through autumn ( or fall if you prefer) and into winter.

I am so glad I decided to get the 45° model rather than wait for the 90°. My reservations about finding them awkward to point accurately were unfounded. Even at 55x sighting along the barrels is straightforward. I haven't even fitted the red dot finder yet!

I am using mine on an old 1960's vintage Gitzo tripod with geared rising column and head. Incredibly smooth and vibration free. Getting to the zenith while standing is easy. I am 5' 9" tall (I thought I was 5' 10" until a recent medical which at least means I don't have to extend the tripod legs as far - one advantage of old age).

I find the perfect companion to the APO is my 6 inch f/5 refractor with 10mm Ethos. This gives me 75x with a 2mm exit pupil and allows me to examine detail within the APOs fov with enough exit pupil to keep images bright. 

Attached Files

Edited by Mr. Bill, 20 August 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#381 opticsguy

opticsguy

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Washington State

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

This is what I've been using lately....      Attached File  DSCN7881 (600 x 450).jpg   55.02KB   2 downloads:-)

#382 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

Mr. Bill......a belated "thank you" for the tip on the LensCoat covers and the JBL speaker case! BOTH, outstanding additions/solutions!

"Insane Question Of The Day": Anyone ever tried to mount these (or ones with the same physical dimensions), on a C-8 fork (GOTO/tracking)?

Mike

#383 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Mike.....

I had the small Velcro flap sewed up and attached the nylon strap to secure the larger Velcro flap from opening while transporting bag.

Attached Files

#384 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

"Insane Question Of The Day": Anyone ever tried to mount these (or ones with the same physical dimensions), on a C-8 fork (GOTO/tracking)?

Mike, I saw some photos of BTs mounted on the likes of LX-200 Goto alt/az forks some years ago, perhaps even here on CN.   Sorry I don't have any links saved, though.   They look like they'd work pretty well to me.  There's got to be some pretty inexpensive used forks out there to experiment with. I'd be happy with just tracking myself...

At least an alt/az Goto fork keeps the bino horizontal at all times.  I'd thought about re-purposing my old Celestron Ultima fork to mount the Miyas but it's not set up to track correctly in an alt/az arrangement.   Putting a BT on a simple EQ mounted fork like that makes the viewing angle pretty awkward in the east and west, of course.  The newer computerized alt/az forks seem ideal for the purpose.

Sounds like a great winter project!      ;)  

Rich

#385 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

Mike.....

I had the small Velcro flap sewed up and attached the nylon strap to secure the larger Velcro flap from opening while transporting bag.

Great, thanks....another of your ideas I can steal!   :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics