Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

Orion Starseek Wifi Module Serial/USB

By David Aucoin

#2 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the very good review. I have been curious about the Orion Starseek. It sounds like a good product.

#3 coinboy1

coinboy1

Messenger

• Loc: Tulsa, OK

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:21 PM

Great review thanks! I think its important to be up with current technology!

#4 Sloan

Sloan

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Arlington, TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:50 PM

I use SkySafari at the Texas Star Party with my iPad. So easy to look at a lot of objects in a short amount of time. Didn't use the wireless, but used a cable because of internet problems at the star party. This software works great. I do have SkyFi and it works great too. Wireless is the better way to go if there is no interference. No cable wrap problems. Once did step on my cable and it pulled my iPad off the table.

#5 Darrenlh

Darrenlh

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

It's a good product. You don't need to necessarily use it with an iPad or iPod touch either. It will quite happily allow you to connect any planetarium software on a laptop also - but you may require a serial port to TCP/IP program. One word of caution though, I have run into a problem occasionally with my Skywatcher EQ6 mount where the mount slewed the wrong direction and collided the mount to get to a target. I think this software glitch has been fixed in the latest versions of the app, but I would do a few test runs and keep an eye on the mount before getting too relaxed with it.

#6 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

A very easy to use free virtual port program is HW VSP3. It works flawlessly with the Starseek and various planetarium programs (I use Cartes du Ciel).

#7 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for the report!  I did not know that product was out there.  I looked it up on the Orion site and it is supposed to work with my LS 8.  Down the road a little, I am going to have to look into that kind of a thing.

Bill Steen

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics