26 replies to this topic

#1 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Good news to all Baader Mark V users:

Baader Planetarium Germany offers now a brand-new, slightly modified and reinforced version of the T-2 Quick Changer, called T-2 Schwerlast Quick Changer (TQC), item no. 2456313A, part #06A.
See also here (Astro Section 08 T-2 System), scroll down to #06A.

"Schwerlast" stands for heavy-duty.

The T-2 Schwerlast Quick Changer is the perfect choice for all users of heavy eyepieces in the Mark V binoviewer, as Docter 12.5 UWA's or TeleVue Delos models.

As can be seen in the picture, the body of the Schwerlast Quick Changer is not only reinforced around the screw hole, but the steel set screw (with a thicker grooved head) presses now a small brass plate against the steel ring of the Quick Changer counterpart, so those ugly press marks in the steel ring counterpart are a thing of the past.

Thank you, Baader, for bringing this long overdue part.

I guess U.S.-located customers can purchase the new T-2 Schwerlast Quick Changer at Alpine Astro or also Astro-Physics, check them for in-stock information.

Hope this new Baader product info is helpful to you fellow Mark V users out there.

Stephan

#2 KJL

KJL

Ranger 4

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:41 PM

Very nice, thanks for the heads-up!

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

This German web page of parts is pretty cool the way they show the animation of the parts on and off.

#4 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:57 AM

This German web page of parts is pretty cool the way they show the animation of the parts on and off.

+1

Stephan

#5 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Fantastic, thank you Stephan. It does look stronger. I'll definitely buy one for the Mark V. Was also thinking about getting a second one for the Baader Herschel Wedge. Yeah, long overdue... every time I tighten that tiny screw, it's always a bit of, 'well, I hope it'll hold...'. Thanks, great tip!! :grin: :bow:

#6 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

every time I tighten that tiny screw, it's always a bit of, 'well, I hope it'll hold...'.

Yes, I know what you mean, Mark8888... It was the same situation here all the time... :)

Stephan

#7 rob.0919

rob.0919

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:39 AM

Pity it's €89 !!!
But......if it stops the uber expensive mk v from gravity related disasters then it will be money well spent.

#8 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:46 AM

Pity it's €89 !!!

Robert,

EUR 89,00 is the price for the complete QuickChanging-System, consisting of parts #06A & #07.

Mark V users who want to upgrade to the "Schwerlast" Quick Changer need only part #06A at EUR 65,00 (part #07, the steel ring, remains unchanged and is already mounted on the Mark V bino).

Stephan

#9 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

And where can we get part #06A?

#10 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

And where can we get part #06A?

Steve,

Please check the sources as linked in the OP. Both, Alpine Astro and Astro-Physics, are official importers of Baader goods.

If not yet available there, I suggest ordering direct from Baader Planetarium Germany. The German VAT (19%) is deducted from all export orders outside the European Union (EU).

Stephan

#11 alanjgreen

alanjgreen

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Just received mine today. They are a big improvement over the standard part. The screw is much beefier and it is impossible to unscrew it completely. It cannot come all the way out!

Screw feels thicker and much sturdier.

Looks like a good upgrade.

Alan

#12 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:42 AM

Just received mine today. They are a big improvement over the standard part. The screw is much beefier and it is impossible to unscrew it completely. It cannot come all the way out!

Screw feels thicker and much sturdier.

Looks like a good upgrade.

Alan

Sounds very good, thanks for the update!!

Ya, it's always a bit weird when the screw comes all the way out, glad this one can't.

Of course this should not and very hopefully will not happen, but...... if it explodes into several pieces after you attach it, please let the forum know. :smirk:

#13 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

Received mines directly from Baader Planetarium Germany a few days ago and upgraded several accessories with them. After trying the Mark V with a pair of heavy Delos 10mm, I am very happy with the new T-2 "Schwerlast" Quick Changer. Fit and finish is absolutely perfect. When connecting/disconnecting the fully loaded and heavy Mark V to/from the upgraded Quick Changer, one immediately feels the much improved connection and stability. No longer necessary to overtorque like a gorilla that small 4mm set screw of its precedessor...

The new T-2 "Schwerlast" Quick Changer was definitely one of my more intelligent accessory purchases so far. The upgraded part is well worth its quite high price and I highly recommend it to any user of heavy eyepiece pairs in the bino or other massive accessories.

Just a hint: The Quick Changer comes standard with one Teflon-ring (thickness 1,0mm). This gives you no options to fine-tune the final position of the locking screw knob.
I therefore highly recommend to order the Quick Changer along with a set of Baader T-2 adjustment/spacer-rings , Baader item no. 245 8102 (EUR 12,50), German title "Teflonringe, 9-teiliger Satz unterschiedlicher Dicke":

Baader describes the set as following -
"T-2 adjustment/spacer-rings - altogether 15 pc - in 5 sizes, three rings per size (thickness 0,6/0,8/1,0/1,2/1,4mm). Well suited to tune the rotary position of all kinds of T-2 accessories in approx 90° increments, to move locking screws of eyepiece holders into a comfortable position asf. Also helps to prevent binding when used as spacer between two metal surfaces connected w. T-2 thread."

Hope this additional info is helpful.

Stephan

#14 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Of course this should not and very hopefully will not happen, but...... if it explodes into several pieces after you attach it, please let the forum know. :smirk:

No worry, this will not happen. Baader informed me that the assembly is 100% safe. The small bright sleeve (which guides the locking brass bolt and locking knob) is not only threaded but additionally glued into the Quick Changer body. No way to explode into several pieces.

Stephan

#15 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

No worry, this will not happen. Baader informed me that the assembly is 100% safe. The small bright sleeve (which guides the locking brass bolt and locking knob) is not only threaded but additionally glued into the Quick Changer body. No way to explode into several pieces.

Stephan

That's good news. Thank you. :grin:

#16 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 AM

Stephan

After a full two month's use, are you still happy with the performance?  I've decided I must have this upgrade.  I've got emails sent to Agena and Alpine asking them if they have these available yet.

#17 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

DaveJ,

Yes, I am perfectly happy with them. I sold away all my standard T-2 Quick Changers at a blow-out price and upgraded to the new T-2 "Schwerlast" version. Was an expensive decision, but the "Schwerlast" is that long overdue part which I was waiting for a long time. I will never look back to the old standard version... I am a binoviewer guy, with all that expensive and heavy gear loaded on the Quick Changer, I never felt safe with the weak standard version...

Stephan

#18 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

I assume this will work equally well with the Baader Maxbright. I was on the verge of buying 2 quick-changers to easily swap between the Maxbright and 1/4" clock-lock with the Baader T-2 prism and Baader Herschel. Very happy I saw this post!

#19 Paul C-I

Paul C-I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

At long Last!

After last couple of years holding my breath every time a pair of heavy eps go in th bino!

Was recently considering making my own heavy duty item but now have the baader offering coming today!

Paul

#20 Paul C-I

Paul C-I

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

Received!

How its taken this long to come up with this?

Excellent engineered piece compared to the rustic older version.

Thanks

Baader

#21 George Blahun Jr

George Blahun Jr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Republic of Quaker Hill, CT

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

I'd like to add my name to the quickly growing list of satisfied users of this product (T2-06A).  If you use small light weight eyepieces, the benefit is worthwhile.  If you use large, heavy eyepieces this product is essential.  Very well made and cheap insurance for all of the expensive equipment which sits atop this piece.

#22 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

I'd like to add my name to the quickly growing list of satisfied users of this product (T2-06A).  If you use small light weight eyepieces, the benefit is worthwhile.  If you use large, heavy eyepieces this product is essential.  Very well made and cheap insurance for all of the expensive equipment which sits atop this piece.

I currently have two of them and would like to get another!  They really are a huge improvement over the standard T2-06.

#23 SFDENNIS

SFDENNIS

Explorer 1

• Loc: SanFrancisco

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:34 PM

I just ordered two from Agena Astro. Looks like they have two left in their inventory. Vey glad Baader finally came out with these.

#24 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:59 AM

I ordered this piece a couple of weeks ago from Agena Astro, and received it very quickly.  It's in perfect condition, no issues.  It's the first time I've ordered from them, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

There's no question that it's better constructed in every aspect than its predecessor.  Very solid.

Attaching it was a little bit of an adventure.  The final position that the old changer would rest at after tightening was very convenient.  This one wasn't, it actually came to rest at an impossible position, it wouldn't work.  So by consulting this thread (thanks!) I figured out that I have to use the included teflon ring.  I found that the teflon right doesn't really screw in (I'm using a Mark V and the prism diagonal that came with it).  I kinda had to force it into position.  Anyway, I eventually worked it out, now the quick changer comes to rest at a much better position.  Thanks for the tip about the T-2 adjustment/spacer-rings, I guess they won't be necessary but good to know.

So... success!!  Good purchase.  The binoviewer seems to be supported more securely.   :grin:   Thanks again.

#25 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Three tthings I would like to mention.   You can buy a set of rings of different thicknesses so that you can tune your T2 equipment in this manner, so that stop position is where you want it.

You can also tune the rings themselves.  If you have a lockup that is just a bit short of where you need it, you can put the ring on concrete or another rough surface and using the ball of your foot, you can wipe the ring across this surface to slightly thin it so that you can get the exact rotation.

And last, but most important, the rings can be horribly difficult to work over the threads, and worse to get off.  I simply cut mine (like the gap in a piston ring) so that I could spread the ring open.   This works beautifully.  The rings don't tend to squish out, and once put in place, they won't just fall off.   They are very easy to remove when you want to remove them as well.

Anyway, you have solved your problem, so this was just for others that might be reading, or for your own future benefit.

Happy to hear that this unit worked well.  I am tempted to get one, but I have I think three of the old rings (I just leave them mounted to the different diagonals and they are already tuned up), so the cost of updating seems a bit high.  I am so in the habit of habitually checking the tightness though, that I am not worried about the BV comeing loose.  I check it any time I rotate the binoviewers.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics