Gotta love Astro-Physics

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

needed an extra counter weight and for my mount,, phoned it in yesterday and today it was sitting at FedEx in my home town,,
No procrastinating here,,,, They PDF'ed my invoice to my iphone and sent me the tracking # all within an hour of me placing the order,, (Thanks Daleen for shipping this out without delay,,) a sign of a healthy active company.

kb

#2 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Now you know why you know who they are!

-Rich

#3 jzeiders

jzeiders

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

I have been very pleased with my interactions with this company, their staff and impressed with the quality of their products.

Jack

#4 Bob D

Bob D

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas, USA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

I agree 100%. The AP staff are very prompt and helpful in responding to any inquiries you may have. It's great to have a quick e-mail exchange with them to resolve any aspect of your mount needs.

#5 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I like asking a question and having Roland answer personally. But for that matter, they are all imagers. You never wonder if the information you are getting is correct.

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:00 AM

That's a huge difference- they actually know what they are talking about. And the hardware reflects it- they can tell what's going to work, because they use the hardware.

-Rich

#7 bseltzer

bseltzer

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: East S.F.Bay, CA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

Definitely!! The only thing as good or better than their products is their customer service & support.

#8 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Definitely!! The only thing as good or better than their products is their customer service & support.

Amen! :bow: :bow: :grouphug:

Ron

#9 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Apollo

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm sure that I'll feel the love..eventually. I ordered a new AP mount in March and was told it would be available in May. Then they said that it would ship in June. Now, I'm just hoping to hear something about it shipping in July. Their last email communication was a bit elusive and somewhat cryptic about when I could expect shipment. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see it arrive at my door and to join in with my own praise; but, so far, I'm still waiting. I suppose it's a good thing that I've got other things to do until it arrives.
John

#10 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

Nothing like the frustration of "Delivery day slip". From what I've seen of AP is they would rather you be dissatisfied by a late delivery than an out of box experience short of "perfection". They are one of the companies in our hobby who take Quality Assurance seriously.

Hope you get a delivery date soon.

#11 sdakotaastro

sdakotaastro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Atacama Desert, Chile to Sierra San Pedro Mártir-Mexico National Observatory

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

Longtime lerker. I just had to post on this topic.

I hear you John. AP is great for Items they don't make or have their name on. Months and years is the norm for Astro-Physics. It Took Roland 5 years to fill one RHA order after the 2009 NEAF announcement. It is currently year 3 and counting for APCC!!!

Props to AP for delivering a counterweight on time!! LOL!!! :roflmao: :lol: :foreheadslap:

#12 sdakotaastro

sdakotaastro

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Atacama Desert, Chile to Sierra San Pedro Mártir-Mexico National Observatory

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Sorry, my bad. Your right. My 5 year should have read 2 years. This is why I lurk and don't post.

Tom Davis has the first AP Honders (SN#0001). He received his honders in early 2011. 2 years after the announcement. Tom's first light with the Honders was in late April or Early May 2011. This is all per Google and we all know the internet doesn't lie.. hehe..

APCC delay is really about AP's bottom line. They don't want to ruin any profit margin by having to give out new firmware chips (free) every time a bug is found. Also, fixing mounts that broke or crashed because of a buggy chip and apcc would really hurt the bottom line. They thought firmware "S" would be the APCC chip needed, they are already up to chip "U" 5 letters left and I guess they will go to double letters.

#13 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, I have to admit being very pleased. I have one of their mounts, subscribe to the user group on Yahoo, and order stuff from them all the time. Support level is excellent but more importantly, the stuff works when I get it.

#14 sdakotaastro

sdakotaastro

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

This topic is stepping on the toes of the original poster and his topic.

Last I heard from Ray, I believe he posts on these forums, is APCC Final is and has been sitting in the hands of Roland and George for a few months now testing with there own personal equipment locally and here in Chile. I have heard that these tests are performing great.

This is my own personal opinion, but I have heard grumblings from others, but I believe Marj is holding up the release for some ego feeding reason and or accounting reason. Again, my opinion and it is probably bull.

#15 bhwolf

bhwolf

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

I'm sure that I'll feel the love..eventually. I ordered a new AP mount in March and was told it would be available in May. Then they said that it would ship in June. Now, I'm just hoping to hear something about it shipping in July. Their last email communication was a bit elusive and somewhat cryptic about when I could expect shipment. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see it arrive at my door and to join in with my own praise; but, so far, I'm still waiting. I suppose it's a good thing that I've got other things to do until it arrives.
John

John, which mount did you order? I ordered an 1100 several weeks later than you, and was told a late June date was anticipated. But if you are waiting for an 1100, I won't hold my breath.

#16 kbastro

kbastro

Viking 1

• Loc: Running from Clouds

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

APCC is ~4 months away as of the beginnings of June, mounts and scopes are being shipped right now, new accessory shipments are scaled back to accommodate the scopes and mounts unless you have a sales order already open,,

The reason I started this topic, is to praise AP for not stagnating after I placed an order,, like some other companies I bought astro stuff from and where "I" have to chase them to send my stuff.
I have dealt with AP as a customer all the way back in to the late 90's by purchasing my EDFS 130,,, since then they have always provided good service and quality stuff..

kb

#17 Edd Weninger

Edd Weninger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

One thing I have not seen mentioned is how Astro-Physics treats owners of their older products.

I bought my A-P equipment, an A-P 900QMD, an A-P 1200GTO, a Traveler and an A-P 155EDF all used and bought through Astromart. Regardless, if I called with questions about something, their response was excellent, although it was clear I obtained the equipment used.

It matters not. They want to see any owners of their equipment enjoy its use.

Kudos !!

#18 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sorry, my bad. Your right. My 5 year should have read 2 years. This is why I lurk and don't post.

Tom Davis has the first AP Honders (SN#0001). He received his honders in early 2011. 2 years after the announcement. Tom's first light with the Honders was in late April or Early May 2011. This is all per Google and we all know the internet doesn't lie.. hehe..

APCC delay is really about AP's bottom line. They don't want to ruin any profit margin by having to give out new firmware chips (free) every time a bug is found. Also, fixing mounts that broke or crashed because of a buggy chip and apcc would really hurt the bottom line. They thought firmware "S" would be the APCC chip needed, they are already up to chip "U" 5 letters left and I guess they will go to double letters.

The wait list is the wait list... If people received RH's 2 years after ordering, then that's pretty good by AP standpoint.

Bottom line? Not having to pay to replace chips? I want them to work the bugs out before I buy or upgrade. Having something go wrong in the dark is a pain in the butt. Many of us buy AP mount's because of there reliability record. You don't get that by pushing out software early. That's reputation, not bottom line.

#19 raf1

raf1

Viking 1

• Loc: south Texas

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

This is my own personal opinion, but I have heard grumblings from others, but I believe Marj is holding up the release for some ego feeding reason and or accounting reason.

Hi Jerry - I have communicated with Marj and the A-P team for years and this strikes me as a rather irresponsible comment. Please clarify what you heard about A-P holding up the APCC release for accounting reasons (or being driven by ego for that matter).

Thanks,

Ron

#20 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

I can only speak for myself. I would rather a product be delayed and tested sufficiently as opposed to released early with a lot of updates. I am patient and want "good stuff" for my money. I have had too much experience with the other style of product development and management.

#21 jzeiders

jzeiders

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Talked with them today, they are backed up shipping mounts and tube assemblies right now. The current priority is to getting the product they have ready out the door and to the customer.

I'm good with that.

Jack

#22 Dave M

Dave M

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

This thread has run its cours and is now locked.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics