TEC140 or TMB130

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

I wonder how long the wait list is for that scope. I still think the new Stellarvue 130 air space and oil space triplet could be a great alternative to either scope and so far seems to be a pretty short wait time if wait time is a factor.

#102 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 08 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

The last time I talked to Astronomics about this, they said they were looking to switch to a new producer. This was in late 2012 (or early 2013), so there haven't been any new ones made for a while.

I hope they do begin production again soon. The TMB 130SS is a very nice scope and is the equal to my TEC 140 in everything but aperture. I recently let my TEC 140 go and happily found another TMB. It's a little shorter and a bit easier for me to handle. (I have physical "issues", so please don't take that as any criticism of the TEC.)

Cheers,

Ron

#103 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

The last time I talked to Astronomics about this, they said they were looking to switch to a new producer. This was in late 2012 (or early 2013), so there haven't been any new ones made for a while.

I hope they do begin production again soon. The TMB 130SS is a very nice scope and is the equal to my TEC 140 in everything but aperture. I recently let my TEC 140 go and happily found another TMB. It's a little shorter and a bit easier for me to handle. (I have physical "issues", so please don't take that as any criticism of the TEC.)

Cheers,

Ron

Switching producers makes this scope a wildcard, IMHO.

#104 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: On a receiver's back

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yes it does.

#105 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Yes it does.

I agree -- if that does turn out to be the case. If you are interested, the best course of action would be to call Astronomics for accurate news.

Bottom line for me - the "old" TMB 130SS is a fantastic scope and I'm very happy I found another one. :cool:

Cheers,

Ron

#106 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Yes it does.

I agree -- if that does turn out to be the case. If you are interested, the best course of action would be to call Astronomics for accurate news.

Bottom line for me - the "old" TMB 130SS is a fantastic scope and I'm very happy I found another one. :cool:

Cheers,

Ron

Not meaning to derail the topic... but Ron, I see in your sig that you have both the 130ss and the Tec 6 MCT. I've owned a TEC 6" MCT (it was number 42 and I rue the day I sold it) and I owned the APM TMB 130 LW CNC II at the same time. The TEC was the better of the scopes... and despite being a cat, it had superior contrast on planets. I've never seen Jupiter's bands and swirls look so artist-drawn as in that scope. Of course the TMB won on wide fields - which was also fine as it had too much light scatter for bright objects anyway. All said there is no scope I regret selling more than my TEC MCT 6".

How do those two of yours compare?

#107 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

PM on the way. :cool:

Ron

#108 Moonglum

Moonglum

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

Hi Mickey C. For my own personal reference may I ask what vintage your APM TMB 130 LWT was? Obviously the F6, not the F9?

Kirk

#109 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:14 AM

Hi Mickey C. For my own personal reference may I ask what vintage your APM TMB 130 LWT was? Obviously the F6, not the F9?

Kirk

It was the (APM) TMB 130 F6 CNC LW II, originally I ordered spring/summer 2006. Once upon a time there was a CN thread about it, IIRC, though I don't see it now. It was a pricey telescope, though I don't give a heck about the money now, knowing the full story about Thomas Back's tragic death. Besides, it was as he said, a matter between myself and APM. I sold it fall/winter of 2007, and disclosed the wonderful opportunities it presented for the ATM'er.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics