CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takitis!

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#251 samovu

samovu

Viking 1

• Loc: So CA

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

Well it looks like I have fully succumbed to Takitis. I added a TOA 150 to my lineup. As you can see from the photo's it's rather... large. ;) Dan from DiscMounts is the one who tipped me over. With his method of mounting it the scope goes from "bloody hell this is heavy!" to "OK. I can mount this." He recommended I cradle it in both arms, then cradle it with one arm and rest it against my chest/belly as I roll it into the DM6, using the off hand to lock it in place. 

Photos:

dr who, perhaps you could try the method that the Greg uses for his C14 scope in his YouTube videos? He has an observing chair  (you could use something  like a sturdy box) which he places next to the tripod between the legs, then stands the scope upright on the box, objective lens down ( you could leave the lens cap on) then aligns the mount saddle verticaly with the scope dovetail and attaches them together, then swings the scope to the horizonal position, with no lifting needed.

Rex

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IwVg1M6bURI

Rex, thanks for that link and reminder. Saw that entertaining clip a year or so ago but haven't tried it yet. 

Guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.......

Cheers,

John

#252 tomcody

tomcody

Vanguard

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

Rex, thanks for that link and reminder. Saw that entertaining clip a year or so ago but haven't tried it yet. 

Cheers,

John

John, Your welcome, but do you really need to use that method with a FS102?  :foreheadslap:

Rex    :funny:

#253 LewisM

LewisM

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Takitis is chronic.

I tried - unsuccessfully - to break the addiction by purchasing the Stellarvue. All it did was HEIGHTEN the Tak addiction.

I had a plate made for the lens cap of my FSQ-106ED yesterday. It is red plastic with white script lettering that reads "Magnificent Obsession".

Indeed, it is.

#254 dr.who

dr.who

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

dr. who,

I use a tablet car mount with suction cup.

CS

Jonathan

That is brilliant mate!

#255 dr.who

dr.who

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:50 PM

Well it looks like I have fully succumbed to Takitis. I added a TOA 150 to my lineup. As you can see from the photo's it's rather... large. ;) Dan from DiscMounts is the one who tipped me over. With his method of mounting it the scope goes from "bloody hell this is heavy!" to "OK. I can mount this." He recommended I cradle it in both arms, then cradle it with one arm and rest it against my chest/belly as I roll it into the DM6, using the off hand to lock it in place. 

Photos:

dr who, perhaps you could try the method that the Greg uses for his C14 scope in his YouTube videos? He has an observing chair  (you could use something  like a sturdy box) which he places next to the tripod between the legs, then stands the scope upright on the box, objective lens down ( you could leave the lens cap on) then aligns the mount saddle verticaly with the scope dovetail and attaches them together, then swings the scope to the horizonal position, with no lifting needed.

Rex

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IwVg1M6bURI

Thank you Rex. I've seen that. And I think that's a good method. I may end up trying that if I get an EQ mount for visual. The way I mount it per above works fine and isn't a strain. It's the dead weight of it as I carry it from storage to mount.  Unless I get a trolly or a Sherpa that isn't going to change. ;)

#256 dr.who

dr.who

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Takitis is chronic.

I tried - unsuccessfully - to break the addiction by purchasing the Stellarvue. All it did was HEIGHTEN the Tak addiction.

I had a plate made for the lens cap of my FSQ-106ED yesterday. It is red plastic with white script lettering that reads "Magnificent Obsession".

Indeed, it is.

Yeah... I just bought a FS-60CV. Sigh. No reason other than it was less than the Stellarvue 60mm. Now all I need is an FSQ-85 and TSA-102 and I will have covered the range. :lol:

#257 samovu

samovu

Viking 1

• Loc: So CA

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:48 PM

Cheers,

John

John, Your welcome, but do you really need to use that method with a FS102?  :foreheadslap:

Rex    :funny:

Naw, the FS102 I sometimes carry out in one hand. Risky, I know but I use the other hand to open and hold open the spring loaded screen door. Then I use both hands. 

I actually have a few larger and (heavier scopes) and the heaviest of them is what I may try this mounting method with. 

Cheers,

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics