• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Dominican Republic

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Hello. I currently own a Questar Standard 3.5 and enjoy it a great deal. Now I am searching for a Questar 7 and in my Internet searches I have seen huge variations in prices. Since I live at lat 18.4N I have had to mount my 3.5OTA on a GEM so I can see the Southern Constellations. So I just need the 7" OTA with no fork mount. I found a place called SALES-TELESCOPES located in Jakarta, Indonesia who have a new, Q7 Classic Barrel Assembly, Pyrex with MF coatings with 90° prism and one eyepiece plus red dot finder for USD5937 My question is who are these people? Why can they offer such a good price when they are on the other side of the world? Does anybody know anything about these guys?
Thanks
John

#2 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Beware of some of the foreign sites, some are scams. This rings a bell with me, especially if the offer other high end equipment like AstroPhysics at really great deals.
You are probably best to contact Questar about dealers.
Brian

#3 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

John,

There have been a number of posts about the company in Jakarta and they all said it was a scam. The normal price for the listed item is about $10,000 from USA dealers and from Questar in New Hope, Pa. There have been about 5 listings for used Q 7s in the past year. Ebay had 2 and Astromart had 3 or 4. These went for $4500 to $6000 for the OTA only.

This is the current pricing for Questars as listed by Astronomics (the CN sponsor), they usually give a 2% discount.

https://www.astronom...scopes_c37.aspx

Bill

#4 TerryWood

TerryWood

Viking 1

• Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains, USA

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

I see one for sale on Astromart right now.

V/R

Terry

#5 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

John,

Terry is spot on. The listing is just what you need for use with a GEM. It is an early Q7 at only $3500 asking price. You should look at this one.

http://www.astromart...ified_id=859434

Bill

#6 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the good advice and suggestions. I will follow up and keep you posted.

#7 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hi Terry and Billy D
I tried to check out the Q7 on astromart but wasn´t allowed in without paying 15 USD. Is this the only way. How can I contact the seller?
Thanks
John

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Viking 1

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'll send you a private message.

V/R

Terry

#9 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Terry & John,

I've got a gmail address for the astromart seller. I can send it to you in a private message if you you want it.

Bill

#10 TerryWood

TerryWood

Viking 1

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

John,

I just sent you a correction to the e-mail address of the point of contact for the Q7. I think I sent you the wrong one earlier. Sorry for that oversight (I was squinting on an iPhone).

V/R

Terry

#11 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

That scope was bought and used by General Electric's Missile Division.... buyer beware

#12 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

Matt,

I don't think he would have a problem with this Q7 being owned by GE's Misslle Division as it was sent back to the Mother Ship for service a couple of years ago. The current owner has two Q7s and uses the listed one on a Losmandy G-ll GEM. This is just what John wants to do.

Bill

#13 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Viking 1

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

Hi Bill,

The optics on the earliest Q7s were a work in progress. I'd call Questar, the ad indicates some work was done on the front lens, but no mention of a full service.
BTW, Questar told me they are 2 years behind on Service Documentation.

From our conversation, the Mothership would not vouch for the optics. The Ad for Q7 is oddly worded, there is no mention, description, of condition and optical quality, etc., just a plea for help.

Just a heads up!

Matt

#14 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:47 PM

Thanks guys. I will proceed with due caution and probably ask Jim at the Q factory for his advice once I contact the seller and get all the details.

Regards
John

#15 JonH

JonH

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hi John, I have this same model Questar, indeed my serial number is just a few away from the one on A*mart. Despite not having the inbuilt Barlow, I love this scope :jump:. It does very well on an EQ6 and the flip-in viewfinder is just superb. The case that comes with it is just the best thing too. This is a picture of mine next to a 4" f/15 refractor to give you an idea of size.

Attached Files

#16 JonH

JonH

Mariner 2

• Loc: Brisbane Australia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:40 AM

Like Matt says - don't rush in, but I think you will be surprised by how well this instrument performs IF it is in collimation. I have compared mine side by side with a modern skywatcher MCT of similar size on planets and I thought that Questar was out in front, although of course you will pay a lot more for one than a Synta product. I am pretty much a newbie at imaging but have attached a composite of Mars and Saturn, both taken with the Q in my suburban backyard with less than perfect seeing. The pictures are pretty close to what I was observing at the eyepiece when the seeing was good. Just to be clear - I don't know the vendor - just a happy early Questar 7 owner.

Clear skies

Jon

Attached Files

#17 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hello everybody.

I travelled to Atlanta 2 weeks ago and met the owner of the aforementioned Q7. He was very nice and let me and my wife stay twice overnight at his home. I tested the 7 with an artificial star and, bearing in mind Jim's suggestions at the Q factory plus Suitors book I decided it was acceptable and bought it. We star tested it a day later in Bethlehem GA under pristine skies but only had a ALT/AZ tripod and the low power eyepiece. The moon and Saturn were fabulous. I then prepared it in a padded duffle bag and brought it down here to the Dominican Republic. The Security checks were exciting, hehehe

It's now here but weather is bad. While waiting I'm now on an adapter hunt. The rear port is M42x1.0 and I would like to have an adapter which takes this thread out to a M42x0.75 as well as provide a slip fit for my 1.25" eyepieces. I would also like an adapter for the 90degree port which can take me from the weird Questar eyepiece thread also to slip fit 1.25"

I think the first adapter should be easy but the 2nd one might need a machine shop.

I tried the 7 on my CG4 head ( I know I'm crazy) with my wife and son carefully cradling the OTA and it balanced OK with 21lbs on the weight bar (fotos coming soon)!!!!. I think what allowed me to get away with this was my very strong and stable surveyors tripod. The owners Losmondy G11 is the ticket but I ran out of money.

Our club hosts a star party next 23rd so I plan to set up the 3.5 and the 7 side by side. I hope the 3.5 doesn't burn the 7, hehe

Thanks for all your input

Regards

Bankrupt but happy Q7 owner

John

#18 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:11 PM

John, congratulations on getting a Q7 please keep us up to date with the fun you will be having. Pictures will always be nice :waytogo:

#19 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

I most certainly will.

#20 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

Hi John, and congrats on acquiring your Q7.  :)

Tele Vue makes a slip fit adapter for 1.25" eyepieces, however there is no diopter adjustment for finder focus.

The adapter on the left is for the older Questar scopes, its housing is 1.25" in diameter and allows use of the  40-80x  and  80-160x  eyepieces in other scopes.

The current adapter on the right allows use of both the threaded Questar Brandons and standard 1.25" slip fit eyepieces, and has diopter adjustment.

Hope this is helpfull. 

Attached Files

#21 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Hi John, and congrats on acquiring your Q7.  :)

Tele Vue makes a slip fit adapter for 1.25" eyepieces, however there is no diopter adjustment for finder focus.

The adapter on the left is for the older Questar scopes, its housing is 1.25" in diameter and allows use of the  40-80x  and  80-160x  eyepieces in other scopes.

The current adapter on the right allows use of both the threaded Questar Brandons and standard 1.25" slip fit eyepieces, and has diopter adjustment.

Hope this is helpfull. 

I had that TeleVue adapter at one time. It does allow for finder focus by rotating the black top just like the Questar adapter. It allows you to get closer to the control box than Questar's adapter, but is cheaply made.

For a long time, Questar has had two set screws in the diopter ring of their eyepiece adapter to secure conventional 1.25" eyepieces. They can even drill and tap an older adapter to add them. It can easily hold heavy eyepieces like the original 13mm Nagler. Call them and they'll take care of you.

#22 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

.......... Tele Vue makes a slip fit adapter for 1.25" eyepieces, however there is no diopter adjustment for finder focus. ...........

I had that TeleVue adapter at one time. It does allow for finder focus by rotating the black top just like the Questar adapter. It allows you to get closer to the control box than Questar's adapter, but is cheaply made. ............

I just had a second look at the (extra) Tele Vue adapter that came with our early 70s  Questar standard. The black top does not rotate with its base, must either be cold welded, or possibly glued ?  The quality of this particular unit does appear to be well made though.

#23 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hello everybody;

Last night the skies were clear and seeing was good. I set up the 7 and did some tests. I was disappointed! On Vega I get a fairly circular diffraction pattern inside and outside of focus but only at the axis of the field of view. When moving off axis the pattern goes lopsided. When I reach the point of best focus the star image does not show the tiny dot with the faint first diffraction ring like on my 3.5 and the image is a bit fuzzy. With the 3.5 focused on the double double I see each star fainter than in the 7 but clean and clear with the tiny dot and the first diffraction ring. The space between each double is clean and the faint diffraction rings just touch where the space between each star is. With the 7 the stars are brighter but there is no diffraction ring and the tiny dot is bigger and fuzzier so the separation between the stars is harder to see. There was a notable image shift and when I first started to focus I heard a faint "click" sound.

All of this was quite upsetting to me after such a torturous voyage to get the scope down here to the Dominican Republic.

One of the members of the Astronomical Society here in the DR is very skillful on optical repairs and has successfully disassembled and repaired dozens of telescopes for the club members. He checked out the 7 and thinks it's collimation. He has a collimator set up at his shop and has done Maksutovs in the past. I am terrified at the idea of opening this scope so before touching it I wrote to Jim at Questar begging him for technical tips and drawings so I could follow a safe procedure while taking it apart. He said he would get in trouble with his superiors if he gave out that info and also it required special tools as well. Returning to the factory from here is next to suicide as far as costs plus transportation damage risks so now I don't know what to do.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sad new/old Q7 Owner,

John

#24 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:54 AM

Relax John!

The Q7 shows an asymmetrical off-axis out of focus image as soon as you get away from the center. That is normal and caused by it's optical design.

What you see on axis in focus is what counts. First indications are that your Q7 is OK. But there is a HUGE difference between a Q 3 1/2 and Q7 in the time required to fully acclimatize and ONLY THEN can it start to show stable images like you get in your little Q. But that requires seeing stable enough for the Q7 to form a stable diffraction image. And then we are talking about some really good seeing. What you describe about the on axis image is basically the difference between a small and a large Mak and not something that necessarily indicates a problem with your new Q7

So give your Q7 some time to acclimatize (2-3 hours at least) and give yourself some time to get acquainted with your new instrument. A big Mak is a high performance scope that needs much more considerations for it's needs t perform well than a small Mak.

I recommend you do not have your Q7 disassembled by your fellow club member!

#25 John Van Allen

John Van Allen

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

Hi Erik,

Thanks for your input. I will calm down and take more time as you suggest. I didn´t know that the off axis image distortion I saw was normal. That has made a big difference now that I know about this. When I saw that I was horrified!!!

Also I need to keep reminding myself that the instrument is old and has suffered some rough handling so I have to accept this. I will keep trying and follow your advice.

Best Regards

John 

By the way, how can I add a picture to this post? When I click the image square it doesn´t take me to my pictures. (Old fart not too smart).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics