Photo

Vixen porta mount II with William Optics FLT98??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

i got a great deal on a new porta mount II and am hoping it can be used with the FLT98. I have searched extensively for people who have the same mount and scope but cannot conclusively tell if the mount will be sufficient. The FLT98 OTA weighs 5.18kg,i do not plan on using a guide scope with this mount as it will mostly be for wide field use. As far as weight limit, this scope will probably be towards the upper end, but being a F6.3, it won't be as long as others, which is a plus. I think it will be alright, but if anyone else has experience or input i would appreciate it. Thanks,

zsb

#2 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Should work fine. My 105mm William Optics, don't remember the weight, is really good with that mount. The porta just doesn't like longer scopes.

#3 zsb04

zsb04

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

good news, thanks

#4 BigT

BigT

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NW Ohio

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

I was originally thinking about getting this mount for my FLT98 too. I decided against it due to what some where saying about the conflicting weight ratings for that mount (most sites say 20 Lbs., some people say it's much less than that). I was afraid that when I added a diagonal, eyepiece, finder scope (maybe a 2" eyepiece and diagonal down the road) it would be too heavy for that mount.

I haven't weighed my scope, but I'd be curious to actually put it on a scale. When I took it out of the box today I was a bit surprised at it's heft. It has a real beefy feel. Not that 11.4 lbs. is light, but it still felt heavier than I expected. It could be deceptive because of its size, but I wouldn't be surprised it if tipped the scales a bit higher than what is listed (maybe the rings and mounting rail account for some of this). Maybe it's my imagination too.

I ended up ordering a different mount, and I'm hoping it works out (I'm a little skeptical about the tripod legs I bought being solid enough) . I hope the Porta II works out for you. I have read where people used larger scopes than this on it and seemed happy, so it will probably be ok. Let us know how it works out.

#5 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

What tripod are you using? If you have the stock tripod and it seems a bit dodgy with that scope, consider upgrading the tripod before you do anything else. It makes a significant difference for the load capabilities.

The Porta II works better with beefier tripods as opposed the the stock tripod that is usually sold with it. The Vixen HAL130 is a good match and stable companion to the Porta II mount. Some of the heavier duty wooden mounts also combine well with the Porta II.

#6 JonNPR

JonNPR

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

Porta is not a good bet for 20lbs, or close to it. Roughly half or slightly more that is the reasonable load limit. Unclear why some ads are stating 20, others like OPT mention 15. But beware. 10-12 is a better bet for stability, especially with any higher magnitude EPs.

Jon

Jon

#7 bicparker

bicparker

Vanguard

• Loc: Texas Hill Country

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:57 PM

5.18kg/11.4lb is probably okay for the Porta II, though you may be taking it to its limits, depending upon what you use for a diagonal and eyepiece (which could easily add another 2-3lbs).

#8 Dubboy

Dubboy

Vanguard

• Loc: Western Kentucky

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

http://www.vixen.co....pec/porta2.html

This info shows load as less than 5kg (11 lbs)
That puts the Porta II at the same rating as the original Porta (which I own). I think David may be right...The higher rating may be with a sturdier tripod :question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics