ZEQ25 AutoGuiding Blues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JoeT6571

JoeT6571

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2014 - 06:13 AM

I have been struggling to get my ZEQ25 to auto guide using PHD2 and a SSAG. The calibration routine always returns the error message "Calibration failed. Star did not move enough."

The scope moves when I manually guide north and south. No response in the east and west direction.

I have tested the guiding wire with a multimeter. There is a pulse for each of the four directions across its respective wire. Somehow the mount is not responding when it receives a pulse for the east and west directions.

Anyone ever had this issue? I have contacted IOptron support but only received an auto reply because it was Friday evening.

#2 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Joe, when you get a calibration failure message (with almost any mount) it usually means the mount is not moving far enough for PHD to calibrate successfully. It the guide star did not move far enough, it's usually because the mounts guide rate is too low, or the calibration step setting in PHD(2) is too low.

For the ZEQ25 try this; go into the HC, and set the Guide Rate to 1.0. In PHD2, set your Calibration steps to 3000.

At this setting PHD2 should calibrate in 5-6 iterations.

Also, in addition to the PHD2 download, make sure you have downloaded Ascom Platform 6.1 and the current iOptron Ascom drivers for the ZEQ25.

Good luck, update us when you next test it.

Cheers..Paul

#3 JoeT6571

JoeT6571

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:30 AM

I did set the guide rate to 1.0 on my HC. I did set the calibration steps to 3000. I did download both Ascom Platform 6.1 and the current Ascom driver from IOptron. This was all during my testing period.

I did repeat this test on a MacBook Pro running PHD2 for Mac version 2.2.1 with the software downloaded from the Orion website. This software has all the drivers installed already. Same result. Manual guiding works for north and south but no movement in east and west.

#4 JoeT6571

JoeT6571

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

UPDATE: I received a replacement SSAG from Orion. I kept all cabling, software settings, and computer the same configuration but replaced the camera with the new one. Everything works perfectly. Used both PHD2 for Windows on my little ASUS netbook and PHD1 for OSX on my Macbook Pro and both worked great.

It was not the mount, cabling, software, settings, or computer. It was the SSAG and thankfully Orion replaced it for me.

#5 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

It was not the mount, cabling, software, settings, or computer. It was the SSAG and thankfully Orion replaced it for me.

See...the problem is always in the last place we look..:) We just need to start looking there first. Glad the replacement SSAG solved your issues.

Good luck...Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics