• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#26 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

• Loc: Kingwood, TX

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Um, no.

Um, no, what? I'm not sure what you're disputing.

Here's the gear set I got from Ralph. I've finally figured out how to get the intense tarnish off the brass. Gotta get on that soon.

Attached Files

#27 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

A real "shot in the dark" here folks.......I have a mount that I'm told won for the builder, a Mr. Alan Bell, a First Place for Craftsmanship and a Third Place for Mechanicals at The Stellafane Convention in 1985. The Stellafane website has this listing.

So I'm wondering if anyone remembers this mount at the convention from 30 years ago?

A couple of photos to jog those brain cells....

I'm absolutely sure I was there in 1984 and 1986, and I have the 1985 brochure from Stellafane, and that mount does seem familiar. I may have seen it there. I didn't miss many Stellafanes in the 1980's and 1990's.

- Bob

#28 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Joe,

Hell yes bring one of Ralph's scopes!

Suggestion: exhibit it near the pink clubhouse along with a notebook for peoples' remembrances of Ralph. I'll bet you'd get a lot.

Peter B.

#29 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

A real "shot in the dark" here folks.......I have a mount that I'm told won for the builder, a Mr. Alan Bell, a First Place for Craftsmanship and a Third Place for Mechanicals at The Stellafane Convention in 1985. The Stellafane website has this listing.

So I'm wondering if anyone remembers this mount at the convention from 30 years ago?

A couple of photos to jog those brain cells....

I'm absolutely sure I was there in 1984 and 1986, and I have the 1985 brochure from Stellafane, and that mount does seem familiar. I may have seen it there. I didn't miss many Stellafanes in the 1980's and 1990's.

- Bob

Hey! Thanks for that!

#30 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Joe,

Hell yes bring one of Ralph's scopes!

Suggestion: exhibit it near the pink clubhouse along with a notebook for peoples' remembrances of Ralph. I'll bet you'd get a lot.

Peter B.

Oh man I wish I could make it this year. I'd try to make it if one of Ralph's scopes was on display, but this year is impossible.

#31 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Um, no.

Um, no, what? I'm not sure what you're disputing.

CCaissie was correcting my confused history. We have some of Ralph Dakin's astronomy gear, but he was never a member of our club. Instead, he sold, gave, or bequeathed gear to some of our founding members (more holes in my history; I'm unsure which). They then donated it to us.

Some year, if not this year, I will attend Stellafane. The idea of setting Dakin's scope near the clubhouse with a book for reminiscences is marvelous!

#32 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Ah... I sincerely wasn't connecting the dots.

If you plan on showing up at Stellafane with some of Ralph's scopes, please let me know. I really want to attend Stellafane again, and to see some of Ralph's scopes and reminisce would be absolutely special to me.

#33 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

Those of you attending Stellafane should arrange a time and place to meet. Maybe go out for dinner together, or share a table at the chicken dinner Saturday at 5:00pm. Putting together an impromptu classics observing session would be fun, too.

#34 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Larry, that is an excellent idea !! I'm game for that. Man ! I'm excited to be attending Stellafane for the first time ever ! It has always been boyhood dreams of both Mel and me to go there. I have'nt decided which classic I will be bringing as yet but leaning toward the TASCO 11TE-5 since it has an electric drive, or my TASCO 10TE or maybe even a surprise instrument!! :) I'm looking forward to meeting some of our CNers at this most historic of astronomical gatherings. Clear Skies, Bam

#35 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

How about the "Hole in the Hill Bar and Grill" 5:00PM Friday night?? It is at 30 Main St in Springfield. Not a bad burger joint, nor expensive.

Peter B.

#36 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Larry, that is an excellent idea !! I'm game for that. Man ! I'm excited to be attending Stellafane for the first time ever ! It has always been boyhood dreams of both Mel and me to go there. I have'nt decided which classic I will be bringing as yet but leaning toward the TASCO 11TE-5 since it has an electric drive, or my TASCO 10TE or maybe even a surprise instrument!! :) I'm looking forward to meeting some of our CNers at this most historic of astronomical gatherings. Clear Skies, Bam

As the Stellafane convention (Stellafane is actually the place) is about ATM, I'd highly suggest your home-built refractor.

#37 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Lots of commercially made scopes show up at Stellafane! It is not limited to homebuilt, but that is somewhat of a theme. A few years ago Dave G came with a restored Fecker Celestar 4 and won a best restoration prize. My motto is "bring em if you have em"!

Peter B.

#38 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

How about the "Hole in the Hill Bar and Grill" 5:00PM Friday night?? It is at 30 Main St in Springfield. Not a bad burger joint, nor expensive.

Peter B.

Sounds very good. I'll be there.

#39 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Lots of commercially made scopes show up at Stellafane! It is not limited to homebuilt, but that is somewhat of a theme. A few years ago Dave G came with a restored Fecker Celestar 4 and won a best restoration prize. My motto is "bring em if you have em"!

Peter B.

I know that people bring commercially built scopes. But, if you check your history, ATM is not just a theme, but is really the point of the convention. So, that is why I recommended bringing the home-built.

The Stellafane convention is not a star party per se, but they do have one of course. It's an ATM convention. I don't know if things have changed in the last 38 years (I hope not), but it used to be you would not find a commercially built scope in the main area in front of the club house, although if there is a restoration category now, then I guess that would be different.

#40 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

I've entered three of my classic restoration projects at Stellafane over the years. A 6"f/8 newtonian on a modified Springfield mount that was featured in Sci American back in the 50's. It won both an optical award, I refigured the mirror, and a restoration award. A 4" Fecker Celestar reflector which won an award for restoration and also optical award since again I refigured the mirror and 3" Tinsley refractor that I restored and won a restoration award. So if you have a classic instrument in which you have done a "frame off" type of full restoration then it is welcomed to be entered to be judged and classic scope in general are always welcome along with any telescope for that matter.

- Dave

#41 Geo31

Geo31

Vanguard

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

A restoration category is pretty cool.

Anyway, again my point was that the Stellafane convention is an ATM convention and as such, when choosing what to bring, I'd always opt for an ATM scope first..

#42 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

We also had George T. Keene in our club, but while I met him, I can't say I knew him.

George, who is the author of the seminal astrophotography book Star Gazing With Telescope And Camera (Amphoto Press,1967), is currently in his eighth decade of an active life, and occupied with designing and building camera obscuras! :cool:

Here's his website: Camera Obscuras by George T. Keene

#43 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I gotta admit, I *really* want to attend. Just not sure whether it will be possible. But thinking is tempting, and tempting might be motivating.

Let's see. Presuming permission from the club's Vice President of Equipment, what might I bring? Ralph Dakin's 8" reflector? The Fecker Celestar 6 in original condition? Stan Brower's optical prototype for the Edmund Astroscan? The Treckerscope?

Or, with no permission needed: My vintage orange tube C8 in original condition? Margarita, the (formerly) salt encrusted, vintage orange tube C8, lovingly refurbished (okay; "brought back from the dead" by our own Duane/Larry/Orion61/Clear Edge Optical?

I am an intolerable scoundrel! Look at all the marvels I ought to have posted about years ago!

When I attend star parties, comparing the views through different scopes is much of my interest, as well as seeing views I can not have at home, for lack of similar scopes. Despite my not yet having been to Stellafane, it's hard to imagine this ATM convention as other than a star party with ever more cool scopes than would be on one field at any other event. How much time does one really spend observing when sharing time at the eyepiece? How much better to have so many unique scopes to scope while waiting one's turn!

That and the camaraderie. Hanging around scopes? Dinner at 5:00?!

#44 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Aurora

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

I've been going to Stellafane since I was teenager and I won't miss it. I'm lucky that I was voted into the club a few years ago and I'm honored to a be mechanical Judge this year. Stellafane is very unique, it that it is a telecope makers convention, a star party, and a place to see the talents of people in many ways. There are talks in the afternoon about many topics in astronomy and telescope making. Hands on demo in mirror making and even a horse shoe throwing contast, plus stuff for the kids. Don't miss the Saturady morning swap tables. You never know what wonderful treasure you might find and buy a handul of raffle tickets because you might walk a way with a handful of TeleVue eyepieces or a stack of books from Willmann Bell or some other great prize.
Many pieces of commerical equipment had their start in amateur made telescopes and displayed at the Stellafane for teh first time, like the Edmunds Astroscan and GOTO telescopes for example. So who know what might show up and will turn into the next revolution in telescopes. It also full of the history of science which besides ATMing is one of my main interested. Plus, I get to run the famous Porter Turret and Hartness Turret scopes, that is cool ! Hope to see many of you on Hill.

- Dave

#45 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Dave,
Don't push the kids horseshoe contest: they deep-sixed that 2 years ago, unfortunately. My 2 kids had both won it over the years and had great times building scopes with Stargazer Steve Dodson.

Peter B.

#46 Larry Geary

Larry Geary

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Now, if you wanted to arrange a classic observing night, here's an idea. There is a field on Breezy Hill just past the pink club house. The last few years there were very few scopes there, and just a few campers. You might be able to drive your scopes up there, set them up in the field (with weather covers, just in case), and leave them there. This creates a classic scope display all day Saturday while people are on the hill. Return to your campsite/parking space, and walk up the hill Friday or Saturday night for your classic star party. Return with your car on Sunday morning to collect the equipment. Maybe someone with connections to the club can say if this is OK.

#47 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

Wow, Mel! Stellafane!

You're going to hear "thank you" from a lot of people there.

Just being present at one of the conventions will be good enough. But, if I get any "Thank You" responses from anyone, that would be the ultimate blessing. For it has always been my desire to give back what amateur astronomy has done for me.

Mel

#48 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Charlie,
I will be there but have not yet decided which scope to bring.

#49 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

I'll try to fit the Mirador OTA in the car.

#50 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

I'll try to fit the Mirador OTA in the car.

:jump: :jump:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics