• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#51 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

I'm a member of the Rochester Academy of Science, Astronomy Section and knew George Keene years ago ( late 1960's ) when I pestered him weekly on the phone for advice as I ground my first mirror. ( 8", f/7 ) He was always very helpful. I believe he moved to California. George wrote a book on astrophotography plus numerous articles on films for astronomy. Wish I had at least met Ralph Dakin but never had the opportunity.

#52 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

I'm a member of the Rochester Academy of Science, Astronomy Section and knew George Keene years ago ( late 1960's ) when I pestered him weekly on the phone for advice as I ground my first mirror. ( 8", f/7 ) He was always very helpful. I believe he moved to California. George wrote a book on astrophotography plus numerous articles on films for astronomy. Wish I had at least met Ralph Dakin but never had the opportunity.

I never met George Keene, but decades ago worked with a fellow from Kodak who knew George quite well. Heard a lot of stories from the old days, a very interesting man who's led a very interesting life.

#53 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

How about the "Hole in the Hill Bar and Grill" 5:00PM Friday night?? It is at 30 Main St in Springfield. Not a bad burger joint, nor expensive.

Peter B.

Well, here's my very first Stellafane coming up! I got a ticket a few days ago, will reserve a campsite tonight, and most importantly, got my re-manufactured focuser shaft for my Swift 831 back from my slow-but-good machinist friend tonight.
I'll be bringing my Swift, my Asahi 60, and my ATM 60 with me, and will try hard to escape work on Fri in time to make the CN dinner at Hole in the Hill.

#54 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

How about the "Hole in the Hill Bar and Grill" 5:00PM Friday night?? It is at 30 Main St in Springfield. Not a bad burger joint, nor expensive.

Peter B.

Well, here's my very first Stellafane coming up! I got a ticket a few days ago, will reserve a campsite tonight, and most importantly, got my re-manufactured focuser shaft for my Swift 831 back from my slow-but-good machinist friend tonight.
I'll be bringing my Swift, my Asahi 60, and my ATM 60 with me, and will try hard to escape work on Fri in time to make the CN dinner at Hole in the Hill.

I look forward to meeting you and all the other CN'ers. Between the two of us, we'll probably have largest confluence of Swift 831s in recent memory. I will be bringing a number of scopes including a Monolux branded Asahi 60mm - at least the OTA. I'll see how many scopes fit in a Honda Element along with the camping gear.

#55 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Apollo

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi Charlie and fellow cn'rs who're planning to attend this year's Stellafane, Mel Dawson and I are already here. We arrived on yesterday and will camp out in the area south of the Schuptmann Telescope building beginning Friday and the weather promises to be good on tomorrow evening. I'm also reminding everyone that Mel has registered his well-known 10-inch f/5.65 newtonian reflector his first large telescope project documented on the VSC website in the Mechanical Competition. He has also brought along his 4-inch f/13 Carton refractor as well, and I have also brought my 4.3" JAEGERS f/11 refractor scope too, but will share a mount with Mel for the event. Here's a view of the observing field looking south from the observatory housing the Schuptmann scope. Looking forward to seeing you here at Stellafane ! Gary :cool:

Attached Files

#56 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

I'm going to be there before noon tomorrow. Just look for a fair number of classic scopes. I'll also be at the burger bar at 1700 in Springfield. Can't wait to meet you guys and see that Carton.

#57 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:12 PM

I so miss Stellafane. Can't wait yo be on the East coast again. If I was, there would be another Swift 831 to join the gang this year!

- Bob

#58 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

I'll be arriving in Spfld in time for the dinner gathering, then up the hill to set up. Having left the instructions of how to get my Swift into its box at home, I spent at least an hour at my shop tonight trying to figure out how to pack it all into that (bleep) box.....
My ATM scope - wrap the scope in a big towel...done, wrap the tripod/mount in a big towel..... done. I suspect Miss Swift will come home similarly packed..... At least the Asahi fit into its box.....

#59 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

PS...Mel and Gary, Welcome to Vermont!! Glad the trip went OK!

#60 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Darn! I have to miss it this year, and I had really planned on making it up there. My unplanned vacation to Indonesia in April knocked me out of NEAF, and my unplanned vacation to the Outer Banks took me out of this one! Oh well, next year hopefully! And maybe WSP too if a trip to Easter Island and the South Seas doesn't get in the way. :)

#61 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

You poor thing!

#62 pbealo

pbealo

Viking 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

Roscoe, CharlieB, X-ray with 3rd harmonic, John Briggs and I had a nice dinner tonight. Beer as well as tall-tales flowed freely. Great group, wish more could have attended!

Peter B.

#63 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

That was fun. I rarely get the opportunity to socialize with anyone, let alone a group of very knowledgeable people - and I don't mean just in telescopes. I set up a bunch of my scopes and roscoe brought along his beautiful Swift831, an Asahi/Selsi and a stunning Carton 60/1000 ATM build. I also got to meet Mel Dawson & Gary Barbarino. Mel has two of his scopes in the competition. If you ever need the definition of gentlemen, just meet Gary & Mel.

#64 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

I just a few minutes ago got back home....I left, as did many others, mid-afternoon, because the skies and the weather forecast were looking bleak for tonight......then of course as I was driving, the clear air arrived....
Charlie majorly carried the small classic refractor corner, He had a Lafayette, a Swift, a Tasco, a Monolux, a Vixen, a Unitron, and I think one or two others, all carefully and beautifully restored.
Clearly I should have spent more time reading name tags, because I went up to the competition site, and didn't realize Mel was there....(Sorry!!) There was a gent with a very nicely polished/restored 6" Clark that was quite eye-catching, several Questars about the fields, a big vintage reflector that was covered up, but looked to be about a 12" f/10, on the most massive EQ mount I have ever seen that wasn't bolted to a pier, a few C-8's and the like, and likely several other vintage scopes hiding under their day covers. Near as I can tell, a good time was had by all who attended!
And, thanks for the dinner idea, Peter! A nice way to put faces on CN acquaintances.
Charlie, I still have your Swift tray bolts, I'll keep 'em in the case for next time.....

#65 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hey Roscoe!

If you were there checking out the beautiful Alvan Clark, my 10" fork mounted Newtonian and 100mm f/13 was just to the north of it. I met the gentlemen who owned the AC and was very much overwhelmed to be in the presents of it!

Also met CharlieB, which was definitely one of the highlights of the Stellafane experience. His collection and knowledge of classics are impressive. He and Gary had a grand time discussing their instruments, and Charlie was so gracious to give Gary a rare Tasco 50mm f/12 refractor to add to his collection! Gary is so overwhelm and filled with gratitude for this awesome gift. What a sweet collection of classic refractors Charlie has! We observed through several of his classics, which all produced splendid images of the sun. Those classics surely hold their own against today's optics. Even my classic Coulter 10" f/5.65 and Carlton 100mm f/13 performed outstandingly; dropping jaws of several attendees of Stellafane 2014.

BTW - I entered my 10" f/5.65 fork mounted Newt in the mechanical competition and managed to win an Honorable Mention certificate. Pretty good for a first timer. :)

Well, Gary and I will be at the final day of Stellafane. So hope to see more of you. We'll be wearing black baseball caps with our VSC logo.

Mel

#66 fjs

fjs

Apollo

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, USA

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hey Mel, Congrats on the Honorable Mention certificate. You and Gary are two of my inspirations. I always am grateful for your posts.

#67 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

Mel,
Was your 100mm blue? I looked at and admired it and your Newt, and never went so far as to read the tags on them.....oops! Well, my compliments, and congratulations on your honorable mention! How were the skies tonight? Down here 100 yards south of the border, they are way better than last night at Stellafane except that the south/southwest is again hazy/cloudy.
R

#68 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Frank! Win or not, it has always been my main objective to inspire others to partake in this great hobby. That is my most fulfilling award. It is my way of giving back all that amateur astronomy has done for me.

Thanks again,

Mel

#69 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

Hey R! Yes, my 100mm was blue. But, it was not in the competition. I just brought it up to showcase it on Breezy Hill. On Friday, though it was hazy a pinch, several attendees took the opportunity to look through this fine instrument. The performance was great! And the 10" was no exception.

Thanks,

Mel

#70 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Apollo

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

This is my first Stellafane event and I must say that I have had a great time, and met some great folks. Congrats to Mel and all the other winners in this years' Stellafane!!!! There were many interesting scopes in the competition! Great work guys! We met Haldun,whose ideas inspired Mel to design the fork for the 10-inch and CharlieB a very gracious gentleman and had many of his scopes with him yesterday and thanks Charlie for the most interesting 2" Tasco I've seen! I'm excited for Mel having received an award for his excellent 10 inch f/5.6 Newtonian reflector. Both the 10-inch and the 4-inch Carton refractor are excellent optical instruments. On the site in front of the clubhouse Mel and I set up the scopes there the night before the competition and the weather cooperated very nicely. Gary

#71 photiost

photiost

Viking 1

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

Great to hear everyone had a good time, cant wait to see some of your images.

#72 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Here are a couple of suspect persons (Mel & Gary)looking at my 7T. I didn't take a lot of photos, but I'll post any interesting ones.

Attached Files

#73 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Mel's spectacular fork mounted Newt.

Attached Files

• Mr Magoo likes this

#74 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

And his 4" Carton based ATM build. Very, very nice scope and mount.

Attached Files

#75 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

A questionable 5" harbormaster scope made by some guy named Clark in Massachusetts. He could at least have put a diagonal on the scope.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics