Classic Scopes at Stellafane

• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#176 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Mike, The Amherst College Clark is open Sat nights till the end of Oct, then again in the spring.....

#177 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Riverview, FL, USA

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

Hi Mel & Terra. Mel here's something you can do with your award to enhance and preserve it. The picture of me and the 12.5" f5 dob  was taken after Stellafane at the George Landis Arboretum in the rolling farm hills of Esperence NY. Great Southern skies there with less light pollution to the south than Stellafane. BTW I believe that's Alan French in the background holding a shirt over the clubs Ha Solaris. I like that pre cancer photo of me, I've got a lot more meat on my bones. The Albany area astronomers hold star party's there. That club used to be The Mohawk astronomers and when I was fourteen years old I belonged to that club with it's Johnson Observatory, and the Astronomy club at school. It was at that time I started to hear about Stellafane and first read "The Glass Giant of Palomar" with Russel Porter in it and dreaming of making a scope someday to bring there. More recently "The Perfect Machine " is a better more accurate book and also there is "Russell W. Porter" by Willard that chronicles his building of Stellafane, his part in the Hale 200" at Palomar and his Arctic adventures! Both "The Perfect Machine and "Russell W. Porter" are highly recommended.

Anyway Mel now you are in the Stellafane National historical archives forever!

Good work!

Hey Mike!

We were both definitely on the same page regarding framing and preserving our awards. I had already framed mine before I read your post. Your award is definitely more professionally framed than mine and looks fantastic. Congratulation!... What an awesome instrument.

Mel

I like the scope with the clubhouse in the background, nice touch! Now what's your next Stellafane project now that you've caught the bug, that does say ANNUAL convention?  (I should talk, I haven't entered anything since 1995) :(  :lol:  :waytogo:

Mike

I would love to make it back up next year with another project. I know they are not too keen on fork mounts, but I have a design I have that just may change their minds. I came up with the design when I was building the one I brought up this year. Actually, I wanted to go with the new design before going with the current one. The current one was the design I came up with back in 1986 and wanted to stick with it.

If I decide to come back up next year, I believe the new fork mount I plan to build may come along.

Mel

...speaking of my projects, I recently received an email from Jay Drew of Stellafane letting me know that my website's construction overview page has been select as the Stellafane Link of the Mouth! What an honor and privilege! Words fail me. Stellafane Links Page

Mel

• Geo31 likes this

#178 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Viking 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:20 AM

Very nice, Mel!! Great work!

- Bob

• dawsonian2000 likes this

#179 fjs

fjs

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Olympic Peninsula, les √Čtats-Unis

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:46 AM

Wow Mel, congratulations!

'Frank
  • BarabinoSr and dawsonian2000 like this

#180 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

That is a great honor Mel a testament to all of your great contributions to our hobby. Congratulations from your friend BAMBINA !!!!

#181 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

That is a great honor Mel a testament to all of your great contributions to our hobby. Congratulations from your friend BAMBINA !!!!

Hey Bam!

This is an honor that we both must share in. You inspired me to get into the expensive hobby. :bawling:  :grin:  :lol:  Therefore you should share in the returns it brings.

Your brother,

Mel

Edited by dawsonian2000, 21 September 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#182 terraclarke

terraclarke

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

That's great news about your website being honored. Congratulations Mel and Gary!  :flowerred:  :flowerred:

• Mike W likes this

#183 dawsonian2000

dawsonian2000

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

That's great news about your website being honored. Congratulations Mel and Gary!  :flowerred:  :flowerred:

Thanks, Terra! I guess I better get busy with my updates. I still have to post an overview of the 6" f/10 Jaegers "GJD" refractor.

• terraclarke likes this

#184 Mike W

Mike W

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

Nice going Mel on the link of the month!  You deserve it!

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics